cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires for 25' Itasca Class C

ragdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the best place to buy and have installed new tires for my motor home in Ontario, Canada and what is a good brand to buy? Has anyone crossed the border and bought/installed tires ?

Thanks,
2002 Itasca Spirit 24V
12 REPLIES 12

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ragdogs, I see that you have a 2002 Itasca 24V. We have a 2005 Itasca 24V.

I recommend for your Class C -

either a set of these Load Range E tires:
https://shop.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/ltx-m-s2/225-75-r16-115-r?fromResultList=searchEngineByDi...

or a set of these Load Range E tires:
https://shop.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/defender-ltx-m-s/225-75-r16-115-r?fromResultList=searchEn...

Use whichever of the two Michelin tire types that you can get the best $$$ deal on. We currently are running the Defender LTX MS tires on our 24V in a size larger than stock so as to get a bit more ground clearance, as we occasionally take it off-highway.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ragdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions i will be shopping around!!
2002 Itasca Spirit 24V

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
My favorite brand is Hankook for price & reliability. However, you can use Michelin and Toyo as they are great brands too.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Never again Toyos. The Michelin XPSs ride and handle like a tire should-perfectly.

I think TOYO has deteriorated in quality. Michelin needs no introduction, anywhere in the world.

Good Tires, Properly Mounted and Balanced, with PROPER VALVES are a joy to have on your rig.

Discount Tire did a great job on my R250's, and the Borg Dually Valves (now available through Camping World, I got mine at Six Robblees in Anchorage) mean they check easily and don't lose air. I just checked ours today, and I hadn't in MONTHS. Took just a couple minutes, and they did NOT need air.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I had two different sets of Toyos that failed and after the first set failed and the second set installed, the rv was all over the road. I was told that I needed to "break" them in. After about 4,000 miserable miles I returned to the tire dealer and replaced them Michelin XPS. My philosophy is that when it comes to tires and brakes one can't get too good quality especially when the family is counting on you making the right decision.And,by the way, Toyo gave nothing but grief over my complaints about their tires which made me more determined to shove them back in their faces. Never again Toyos. The Michelin XPSs ride and handle like a tire should-perfectly. Also don't know why some say they ride harsh. I don't notice it.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I got my Michelin XPS ribs from an independent dealer, now associated with KAL tire. There price tires, taxes, recycle fees, and installation were cheaper (at the time 3yrs ago) was less than Costco's price for tires alone.
No idea what todays prices are, but check local dealers, they can be competitively priced.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Only this week I got new shoes by Yokohama, very good price and good for 50K miles.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
When buying tires, get to know (at least in the USA) of the DOT Date Code. On only ONE place on the tire, there's a four-digit code stamped into the sidewall at the end of another string of codes. It's WWYY where WW is Week and YY is Year. This tells you how old a tire is. Should be on all the tires on your coach.

1017 would be the Tenth Week of Year 17. A tire with that code would be made sometime around now, March 2017. Insist that each tire you buy is "Fresh." Discount Tire down the street from me called their warehouse, told them that, and they replied with the date codes they could send. I bought seven tires, all made within a few weeks of purchase date.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
10s of thousands of snowbirds have crossed the border and bought tires. If you're near the border, call up a tire outfit on the otherside and see what they quote you, then factor in the exchange rate. My local Discount Tire store will match online prices.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to our Forums!

From your signature line, that year 24V is probably on a Ford chassis? E350 or E450? Original tires are probably 225/75R16. Is the coach where you can see it? The tire information will be in a sticker on the driver side door frame.

You don't want "P" series tires, the "P" is for "Passenger." They need to be designated "LT" for "Light Truck" and/or carry a "Load Range" of "D" or "E" and today most tires this size are sold in Range "E."

With a 24-foot coach, you won't be at the very max weight for your tires, like our 31-footer is. For that reason, I don't think there's need to pay extra for commercial tires in your size, like Michelin XPS and Bridgestone Duravis R250. A couple very good brands you can shop for are Michelin LTX M/S2 and Firestone Transforce. Chances are you'll need to replace them on age, not wear, and a good brand like that will work for you till the heartbreaking time to replace good-looking tires with plenty of tread left.

In USA, many of us have been very pleased with price and service at Discount Tire. Hopefully our Canadian members can offer names on your side of the border.

ragdogs
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
You'd probably get a much broader response if you listed the size and load capacity of the tires that are currently on it.

Jim

This may sound silly but I don't know the answer to that however I can check online for load capacity. Is it too much to assume that a tire place would not know the proper tires to install? I already received quotes from one tire place last year with quoting me 4 choices and prices for each brand / type. I wanted to know if they are reasonable quotes and if there was a better place to get them. (This is new to me motor home)

Thanks,
2002 Itasca Spirit 24V

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You'd probably get a much broader response if you listed the size and load capacity of the tires that are currently on it.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)