Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping with the dogs

Knight500
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
We're first time campers with our new travel trailer here in California and we have two small dogs we'd like to take with us on our travels.
We've done some research and have learned that most of the time if you take the dogs away from your campsite (on a leash of course), you can only walk them around the facility. If your at the beach the dogs aren't allowed on the beach. If your in the mountains the dogs aren't allowed on the trails, etc.
So I've read on other threads on this subject about people leaving their dogs in their RV/trailer with the AC on the maybe even the TV while they leave for a few hours. I'm fine with this as long as the dogs don't bark too much or try to destroy the trailer from the inside out.
My question is this:
If you leave the AC running and you leave your campsite and you use a generator to run the AC, what do you do with the generator? Leave it outside and locked up?

Thanks,
Robert
20 REPLIES 20

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
We occasionally leave the dogs in the trailer for short periods of time - an hour or two with no issues. Have only done it with hookups though so the AC is on.
If you haven't done this before though, I would recommend you see how they react when you leave. Go just far enough away that you can hear them if they start to make a racket. It might take the dogs some time to get used to being left alone.
We were camped one time next a family that took off in the morning and left their 2 dogs in the trailer for most of the day. They barked almost the whole time. Seemed like as soon as they settled down someone would drive past, or kids would ride their bikes past the trailer and the barking would start all over again.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Amrya wrote:
Great topic. We had planned on leaving our Border Collie home for our 8 we cross canada track this summer. Sadly however, it looks like plan are changing.

We will be in a full or at least electrical hook up the entire time we travle. There will be times when we will need to leave the dog in her crate for a few hours to explore non dog friendly spots.

All of our reservations accept dogs and she is a non barker. If the ac is on is it acceptable to leave her in her crate for a few hours at a time??

Our two dogs have no trouble being left alone for up to 3 or 4 hours in the trailer. It's their home and is no different than the sticks & bricks we live in the rest of the year.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Amrya wrote:
Great topic. We had planned on leaving our Border Collie home for our 8 we cross canada track this summer. Sadly however, it looks like plan are changing.

We will be in a full or at least electrical hook up the entire time we travle. There will be times when we will need to leave the dog in her crate for a few hours to explore non dog friendly spots.

All of our reservations accept dogs and she is a non barker. If the ac is on is it acceptable to leave her in her crate for a few hours at a time??
Yes especially in Canada where temperatures are not as hot. I just try to limit the time I'm gone. To them the RV is their home as well as the house. They usually take a nap and when I get back take them for a long walk

Amrya
Explorer
Explorer

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We simply won't chance trusting a generator if it is HOT out...meaning over 80 or so. Many do, we don't. If it's going to be hot we stay at a place with electricity and use our air to protect the dogs. I know they can take a lot of heat, but I won't chance it. We have passed up many great dry camping spots to make sure the dogs are safe. Or we use the generator and stay at the RV. We don't camp at the beach in CA so don't know about that but have never had trouble finding places to walk the dogs and hike. Most NP's don't allow dogs on the trails. We are close to the MX border so take a couple trips a year to Rocky Point where the dogs can run free on the beach. They love it.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Knight500
Explorer
Explorer
Well this is all really good feed back. Since we're first time campers we'll have to include this feed back when we're looking for places to camp. We don't want to park the trailer and just sit in it for a few days. We want to do things...like day hikes or the beach. Taking the dogs would be the icing on the cake. Some of you seem positive about the idea so I feel better about the prospects.

Also, I still plan on buying a generator but I'm keeping an open mind about how much we'll be able to use it. We'll see...

Thanks for the replies

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
BizmarksMom wrote:
National Forests all allow dogs on trail. I hiked all over the central Sierras with my dogs - big RVs are not making it into those campgrounds, but that's a separate issue. BLM land is also wide open for letting dogs hike and wander. That means a huge swath of CA desert is open and dog friendly.

I highly recommend National Forests, have used them for years. Just be sensitive and keep your dogs leashed and you can take them a multitude of places. If you can't keep them with you, be sure the RV is well-ventilated and think about getting a heat warning device.

Not sure a generator is a great idea - did somebody already say this? Carbon monoxide is going to be a concern, and you'll be driving your fellow campers crazy. Many campgrounds don't allow them anymore.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
National Forests all allow dogs on trail. I hiked all over the central Sierras with my dogs - big RVs are not making it into those campgrounds, but that's a separate issue. BLM land is also wide open for letting dogs hike and wander. That means a huge swath of CA desert is open and dog friendly.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah, that would explain a lot. I know there are more and more beaches along the Sonoma coast that have banned dogs.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
korbe wrote:
All the beaches in the north state allow dogs that I'm aware of. Some of the state parks do not allow dogs on the more popular trails. All the Forest Service trails allow dogs that I recall. All on leash, of course. We go places where our dog can go too. We find put first.

Nope. There are a few dog-friendly beaches in Northern California. But many do not allow dogs on the beach (some due to the nesting habits of the snowy plover).

If I start at clam beach in Mckinleyville and go north, I can't think of any non-dog friendly beaches. Of course, my view of California is that south of Eureka is Central California. 🙂

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The High Sierra's Truckee, Mammoth, June Lake,Tahoe, Lee Vinning, Robinson Creek, etc. all allow dogs on trails, streams & lakes. We never had a problem. Some Southern Calif. Beaches don't allow pets on the sand.They're ok on the pavement.

We leave our dog in the RV if its impossible to take her with us, just like we do at home. Sometimes she's in the crate and sometimes not when we leave her. It really depends on the campground or RV Park. We do leave the TV on for her if we have full hookups.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
All the beaches in the north state allow dogs that I'm aware of. Some of the state parks do not allow dogs on the more popular trails. All the Forest Service trails allow dogs that I recall. All on leash, of course. We go places where our dog can go too. We find put first.

Nope. There are a few dog-friendly beaches in Northern California. But many do not allow dogs on the beach (some due to the nesting habits of the snowy plover).

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not California that made this rule - it the California Department of Parks & Recreation (aka California State Parks) and the National Park Service. They only allow dogs on leash and on "paved roads" - no hiking trails and very limited beaches. Sometimes, the reason makes sense like with Ano Nuevo and the elephant seals (don't want dogs disturbing them), other times it makes no sense like with Calaveras Big Trees (because a dog might get bit by a rattlesnake on the trail - but your 2 year old daughter is fine with that risk).

The worst is that some of the state parks are more dog friendly and may have no problem with your dog on the trail (ON A LEASH), but their website, brochures, posted rules, etc., say "no dogs on trails" - so you can't know before you go if they will have a problem with it or not. For beaches, it is much clearer - unless it says "dogs allowed", that beach is NOT dog friendly.

For camping where dogs are not allowed on trails, beaches, etc., many will also not allow you to leave your dog unattended at the campsite. That includes leaving them inside your RV while you go hiking or to the beach. If you get in trouble for it is dependent upon a lot of factors: do your dogs bark when you're gone, do your camping neighbors like you, does the camphost/ranger like you, do you follow all the other "dog rules" religiously (like picking up after them, keeping them on a leash, etc.), is the dog-friendly ranger on duty throughout your entire stay, or will an anti-dog ranger come on duty first thing tomorrow. And then there is the issue of generator times - are they allowed during the times you want to leave the dog in an air conditioned RV or are they only allowed for a couple hours in the morning and again in the evening.

So, for beaches, you can check out www.parks.ca.gov and see which parks will allow your dogs on the beach and which won't. Check to see if there are local beaches (city/county owned) with more dog-friendly rules.

For other camping, the easiest solution is to skip the state parks and go to National Forest and/or Corps of Engineers campgrounds. These most always allow dogs to go on the trails and hang at the water. At lakes, etc., they often have a specific beach or picnic area or trail where dogs are not allowed - that is posted quite clearly. However, there will be the rest of the shoreline, trails, etc., where your dog IS welcome.

I always camp with my two dogs. I do pretty much the above. First, the entire purpose of taking my dogs with me is because I want to let them enjoy the lake, river, creek, trails, etc. I don't want to lock them in a 60ft jail while I go out swimming, hiking, etc. I also don't want to get all the way out to a campground that is rumored to be dog-friendly only to find out that the staff changed or an incident occurred and they are now very strict about the rules. And I don't want to spend my stay sitting in a campsite because my dogs aren't welcome anywhere else.

In return for these places with dog friendly rules, I willingly pay any additional fee for the dogs (national forests often have a $2 per night per dog fee), I pick up after my dogs, I always keep my dogs on their leash(es), I make a concerted effort to stop my dogs from barking if they get going (happened a lot when we started, now not so much), and I am considerate towards other campers and move my dogs off the trail when they pass, keep them at my side while at the beach (years ago I had them tied in the shade while I swam in the lake when another camper came through with her little dog and walked right between my dogs and me, my Moose-dog had been attacked multiple times by little dogs and felt threatened by hers and snapped at it. So no more separation where someone can cut between us and no more potential incidents).

From what I've experienced and have been told by camphosts/rangers/sheriffs/other campers over the years, this exchange of good behavior and dog-friendly camping has been a success. I have not have any run-ins with others over my dogs and those I have plenty of places to camp and hike and swim and play outdoors with my dogs.

Oh, and while National Parks don't allow dogs on trails, other places in the National Park System do allow it. Mono Lake and Bodie State Historical Park are co-run by California State Parks and the federal system and therefore they allow dogs (on leashes) to visit. My dogs visited both a while back and had a great time.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer