cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncle Sam strikes again

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the city limits and in a subdivision that does not allow RV parking on your lot. So years ago I built a shop in the county and the MH lives there. The MH was addressed at the shop and I paid county taxes and no city taxes. Sounded fair. Now, the city says I owe city and county taxes since my residence is in the city. My beef is that it lives in the county, if it catches on fire I call the county fire dept, if someone breaks into it I call the county deputy, when I dump the waste tanks it goes into my septic tank, there is no legal designated RV parking spot anywhere in the city limits. So I have no choice but to pay the $2200 tax bill on a 6 year old MH. Sounds unfair to me...I am beginning to support those Montana MHs more and more....
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
56 REPLIES 56

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Wheel tax??? Good Lord what will they come up with next.

Do they tax you based on how many wheels you own? Wonder if it includes the wheels on your lawnmower and bicycles.

The county I live in charges $10 for each wheel. Yea, really. It's paid when you purchase your license plate renewal. Trailer $40 extra. Utility trailer $20 extra. Car 1 $40 extra. Dully $60 extra.

The revenue is suppose to go to the county for repair of roads. I don't know if it all makes it there or not. This is my penalty for living in Madison County! BUT! At least THIS county allows me to park my camper at my own house, in my own driveway, in my own yard though!

I'm surprised they are not taxing the wheels on my riding lawn mower!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:

Do they tax you based on how many wheels you own? Wonder if it includes the wheels on your lawnmower and bicycles.

Yeah, it's just as Hohenwald48 explained it above. Believe me (I sound like POTUS now), you would rather have our vehicle taxing system than what you have in California. I'm also a 'Californian' living part time there for almost 30 yrs. now.

I just bought a new car there about 3 weeks ago and it will be tagged in TN as I only spend about 3 months a year there. My tag cost will be $106 vs. $2,000+.

I know that Mississippi charges vehicle tags like California, based on value. It's doesn't matter what you drive in TN, you will pay about $100 in the major cities and less in the counties.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I'll scratch the idea I had of moving to South Carolina to be with my daughter more often.

Oklahoma stopped collecting personal property tax (at state level) on motor vehicles registered for highway use about 15 years ago. While personal property tax is an county option for other types, my county decided to stop collecting it when the appraiser demonstrated that collection costs were exceeding revenue.

You need may to consult with a local lawyer. It is quite possible that personal property tax in your state includes all taxable personal property owned, regardless of storage location.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:

I don't know about other states but since TN has no income tax and a very limited personal property tax, most government revenue comes from sales tax and real estate tax. In order to allow revenue generation without putting the entire burden on property owners, the legislature gave local governments the option to implement a "wheel tax". It's not really a tax on wheels but a tax on each motor vehicles that require a license plate and operate on public roads. I think the maximum allowed is $25/vehicle/year. Of course, every county government has implemented it. I bet my $25 annual vehicle "wheel tax" and $21 annual vehicle tags comes in a few bucks under the CA equivalent. 🙂 Especially when you consider we pay $0 in state income tax.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
I'm just curious if you told them to get lost, what are they going to do, put a lien on a vehicle?

ignoring it would be a very risky undertaking. liable to loose plates/registration/ insurance, etc.
bumpy

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just curious if you told them to get lost, what are they going to do, put a lien on a vehicle?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Quit whining and be thankful you live in a country that gives us the opportunity to have $200,000 toys and the camp areas to use them.

Who's whining? A discussion about taxes does not a whiner make. Good grief.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
What the heck does it have to do with Uncle Sam????

It's the "Big Brother" concept. Also known as regulation, taxes, control, power, dominance, etc. I'm sure he knows it not the federal government. I think it is just his expression regarding his frustration with the governing authority. Surprising that nobody has picked up on that.

I picked up on it but unfortunately this is not a place to vent frustration without facts that are accurate.. There are plenty of places for that expression or just start tweeting.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that is one thing I like about VA, my boat trailer has permanent plates on it.
bumpy

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Quit whining and be thankful you live in a country that gives us the opportunity to have $200,000 toys and the camp areas to use them.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

OK Downhome,

Here is the breakdown....

Registration.......21.50
Clerk...................2.00
Issuance..............2.50
Wheel Tax..........50.00
Muni Fees..........30.00
---------------------
Total $106.00

MM.

The wheel tax is a county fee.
The Muni fee is a municipal (city of Memphis) fee.

If you renew by mail there is an additional $2.00 mailing fee.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Just another reason to stay in Montana.
Our coach is 11 years old or older, so it has PERMANENT registration. I will never have to pay for renewal as long as I own it!
Our car is now 11 years old. It, too, will get the PERMANENT registration when it is renewed this year.
Sadly, the truck can not be permanently registered, because it will get Ham Radio Call Sign license plates this year. Since the FCC Amateur Radio License expires every 10 years, the state will not authorize the PERMANENT stickers for those plates. Maybe I won't put the call sign plates on it...
Both trailers have PERMANENT registration.
Both ATVs (street legal) have PERMANENT registration.
Yeah, even though the State Income Tax is annoying, I guess we will stay here.
Oh, yeah, since it was brought up, no HOA either!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

hughesjm21
Explorer
Explorer
"Uncle Sam" refers to the federal government. You need to address the proper level of government to resolve your issue.