cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

insurance

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
I know this will stir up the pot, but just wanting to compare it to the cost of 5th wheel insurance, or car insurance.
11 REPLIES 11

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
ok. i understand, lets put it this wayy, what are some sample rates people are paying for class A

$1200/year 2009 Diesel Pusher
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A motorhome is a motorized vehicle. In most states, you need liability insurance. My liability insurance for my 2004 motorhome is about the same as it is for my 2012 subcompact towed vehicle and my 2012 12-passenger van.

Liability premiums in this state they are regulated by the state on specified risk factors: driving record, location, and number of miles driven on each vehicle. About $90-110 per six months each vehicle in my case, lowest for the subcompact, highest for the van. No moving violations since 1970, no claims for the past 15 years, small city in a rural area.

In my state, all other coverages are optional; we are protecting ourselves against financial loss, have the option to self-insure. I carry comprehensive and collision the car, van and motorhome, but not on my motorcycle which is worth no more than $100. Premiums are again regulated, based on driving record and claims history, "garaged" location, and are scaled to the financial risk, i.e. maximum payout. Semiannually about $70 for the subcompact, $130 each for the van and motorhome (which is down to under $20,000 in value).

A third coverage I carry is "uninsured motorists" to cover medical claims for self and passengers in the event of injury by someone else at fault who cannot pay. That's about $100 semiannually for the small car, a bit less for the two larger vehicles. This coverage was really expensive when I had it for the motorcycle, but dropped it because I have other medical coverage and don't carry passengers.

Are you insuring a $20,000 motorhome, a $50,000 motorhome, a $200,000 mothorhome, or a $2,000,000 motorhome. There will be huge differences in annual premiums for covering values that different.

For my $20,000 motorhome, I am paying about $600 a year for 100/300 liability, comprehensive and collision with high deductibles, and uninsured motorists. If it was the only thing I was insuring with that company, the premiums would be much higher, particularly the liability.

If you are in a "no-fault" state, coverage options and costs may be different, because you are basically required to insure for collision, can't self-insure.

But what I pay is probably meaningless for your situation, because you are in a major metro area with higher risks, and you may be buying something a lot more expensive than what I have. Best way to find it is to go to your insurance agent with a specific vehicle and situation, get a quote.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
About $600 a year. 06 30' gas coach used on weekends and summer vacation.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
ok. i understand, lets put it this wayy, what are some sample rates people are paying for class A

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fifth wheel coverage, no idea since I own a Class A. Comparing Class A to a car will vary greatly and any numbers an owner posts will not be of much use without personal details such as - declared usage (full time, snowbird, weekender), estimate value of a coach, owner declared residents, drive record of principal and secondary drivers, coverage level selected, credit score of owner,,,.

A better question to ask would be what company insures a rig and if you had a claim how was the customer service provided associated with the claim. You could have the lowest rates available but if a service provider takes months to process a claim is really worth the cost savings?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
My suggeston would be to call your insurance agent as I think you're trying to compare apples and oranges.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to compare is to total the cost of your truck and 5th wheel.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
apple and oranges
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
One is a motor vehicle, the other a trailer. Impossible to compare, unless you include the trailers tow vehicle in the analysis.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't even compare insurance between motorhomes let alone trailers, cars, motorcycles or my custom rifle.

None are the same, none have same value, none have same coverage, all are in different areas/countries owned by different people with different requirements.

Tough to compare insurances.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camparing 5th wheel insurance to car insurance is that what you are asking? Aren't those two different types of insurance? 1 is for drivers and the other for trailers.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.