cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vented Gas Cap?

Puddin12
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know whether or not my1992 Minnie Winnie on Ford E-350, 460hp engine originally had a vented gas cap? I have quite a few times left my gas cap on top of the gas pump after getting gas (there is no place to hang it while refueling), And Imwet to partshousesand got whatever they recommended. My son thinks this could maybe contribute to my cutoff problem when pressure builds up. Wears also going to trythevsuggestins in the replies to my earlier post. Many thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
molliegirl wrote:
an evaporator sensor of some sort

Stuck open purge valve will cause this problem after filling the tank. Most likely they replaced your purge valve.

Robert Wynkoop
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Gas caps have to be air tight for emissions, after market caps are not air tight.

Go to a Ford dealer and purchase a cap wit a retainer that attaches to one of the screws next to the filler tube you will never leave a cap behind again.

It is interesting that the check engine light did not turn on, I had that problem with the toad and an after market cap with a keyed lock, it would turn the light on and would not start, the cap was not air tight.

navegator

Puddin12
Explorer
Explorer
To: mollie girl. -- Thanks so much. Will have this checked out.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well the easy thing to do is leave it on real loose and see if it cuts off. I don't have the direct answer to your question though.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

molliegirl
Explorer
Explorer
This may be totally unrelated to your gas cap problem, but I'll mention this anyway, so take it with a grain of salt. We owned a 2010 PleasureWay Excel Ford E-350 van, which we no longer own, decided it was time for a newer model PW. We traveled extensively across country this past August and September. We were in Canada and stopped at a gas station to fill up. When we tried to start it again, it wouldn't start, would hardly turn over. After a few tries, it worked and we were on our way. Decided to stop at a Ford dealer and told them what happened, as it didn't happen after that. They suggested bad gas, so suggested we buy at a known brand station. Next time we filled up, same thing happened. By this time we were concerned, as we had a lot of wide open space to cover, with no stations in sight. So we scoured YouTube, found a guy who was leaving his gas cap off while starting up after getting gas, and it would start, and then screwed on his gas cap. That was good for awhile. Then we decided to really find out the cause, so we went to yet another Ford dealer, ran diagnostics, couldn't find a thing. Third time we went to a Ford dealer in Canada, they did diagnostics, found some problem with an evaporator sensor of some sort. They had the part overnighted to their dealership, we had it installed quickly, took at the most 1/2 hour in the morning and we were on our way, and we never had another problem with it. So it must have something to do with emissions of gas fumes, and perhaps yours is due to getting a generic brand replacement gas cap. We never had a problem with it after that.
Betty[purple]:C