cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full hook-up vs fill & dump

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picking up our new B+ in a little over a week and want to spend at least one night at the local campground/RV park before heading home. Hoping to put it through it's paces and check everything out. If there are any issues, we can go right back to the factory for more detailed instructions and/or tweeks the next day. They actually recommend this. Problem is that we can only spend one night at the local RV park before heading home.
Question is: For the first night should we get full hook ups or fill and dump. Since it will take us a couple of days to reach home base, my thoughts were to use full hook ups the first night and fill & dump the second night further down the road.
Thought and/or opinions?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
13 REPLIES 13

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad, thanks for the idea. That's exactly what we will do. Even though others think this is "Penney wise....pound silly". I will explain, If I really need to, is that RV parks, in general are not for us! As I stated before, we are spending a night at a local RV Park near the dealer, after a full day of instruction. We plan to drive a few hours in the homeward direction to a state, Corp, or Federal park and really test the entire systems out as we plan to use it in a CAMPGROUND. Actual field testing is the true test and at worse the factory is still a couple of hours away. So our tens of thousands for a new B+ will be thoroughly tested and double checked.

Thanks to all those who replied.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used to get FHU every third night to dump tanks, flush, etc. but that had larger tanks than yours I assume. but I would get FHU the first night to check everything out while you are near dealer.
bumpy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me, full hookups just mean that I'm already at the dump station. I still let the tanks fill before hooking up to dump.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Tens of thousands for a new B+ and no time to adequately shake it out close to the factory/dealer? Penney wise....pound silly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I say make the dealer fill the fresh,gray and black tank full with clean water before you leave the dealership and go through the pumping and dumping process there. A lot of times leaks don't present themselves unless the tanks are full and if, during the emptying process, there is a leak the problem is easier to deal with if you have clean water in the tanks and not the nasty stuff and you're still at the dealership. Imagine the hassles and wasted time you'd have to go through if you were down the road and a problem presented itself. You may not be able to use the rv until you got back home and contacted your local rv repair who has to contact the selling dealer for authorization and on, and on. Actually, make them show you all systems work before leaving their property. I speak from experience!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always FILL then dump. Get those thanks full before hand. Are you able to dump anywhere once you get home? If not (my opinion) is I would not use black water and let it "just be". So no RV toilet without dumping black within 2-3 days.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would fill up your water tank at the dealer, use everything at the dealer (all taps, shower & water heater) then when you go to the campground use the hook-ups. This is probably closer to what you will do most days and will allow you to test the system both ways.

I would also do a dump (have water in both tanks) the day you pick-up (run water in all the drains to make sure they work and don't leak) to make sure that you know how and that it works and so you can check for any leaks and that you have a dump hose.

My system for traveling has been to fill up water tank at home, travel using the on board system, make camp, use what I need to then the next morning dump tanks and fill up water before hitting the road. I never know if the next day will bring me to a campground that has water or a dump station so I like to stay ready either way. If I have full hook-ups then I top off the water tank at night.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Get a measured container, and fill it up. Pour it into the toilet and see how high it goes. Same with the grey tank or tanks. Use the full hook up to fill your tanks with ten gallons each, and then dump, first black, then gray.

Now is the time to test it and see how it operates. If all goes well and each flushes with no leaks, you will feel a lot more secure when it's really full and needs dumping.

You can buy a clear elbow for your flush valve. I use one on my rig so I can see what's coming out. When you think it's clean, it's good to know it's clean.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Get the full hookups but keep the valves closed, and take showers, wash dishes, and flush the toilet until the black tank is filled. Then go through the process of dumping the tanks ( black first) to make sure you know how and nothing leaks. Do this the first night and following morning. Take it back if issues arise or if you just have questions.
X2

Everything will be working when you do your (not theirs) PDI right?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the full hookups but keep the valves closed, and take showers, wash dishes, and flush the toilet until the black tank is filled. Then go through the process of dumping the tanks ( black first) to make sure you know how and nothing leaks. Do this the first night and following morning. Take it back if issues arise or if you just have questions.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Hook up and try everything out then unhook the water hose and try the pump. Everything should be working during the PDI before you buy the camper.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Never ever leave the black tank valve open. As for gray tanks? I leave mine open only closing the day before i d
Plan to dump black. I use gray water to flush the lines and push the poo further towards the sewer.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best to dump waste tanks when they are FULL or almost full

The high volume/weight of liquids will carry the stuff down and out

Low volume...that is like a small creek barely flowing that leaves pebbles behind

Besides just how much 'waste' will you generate one overnight stay.
Leave it, let it slosh around then 'FILL and dump' next night
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31