cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Gear Manual Controller Problem

Cousin_Eddy1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this controller new in 2008. PN 500731.

So, you start the motor, and the LEDs start flashing. Press any button and all the LEDs turn off. The unit will not power up using the power button. Get this, i push the retract all button, and the front jack came on. Went to full extent, hard against the stop with the pump still running. Turned off ignition and it stopped. Turned it back on, blinking lights again. I hit the retract button, even though it appeared to be powered down. The jack did retract. Thankfully.

Its for sure not in config mode....per the manual.

So, im thinking the controller is toast. Could it be anything else? These things only last 9 years? Sheeesh.
1995 33' Southwind Fleetwood Model LW
9 REPLIES 9

stacaz822
Explorer
Explorer
Like aircraft and high end watercraft systems, RV's should run on 24 to 28V. It sure would save a lot on wiring!
Stacaz

stacaz822
Explorer
Explorer
There are power transistors in the controller that will go bad, especially in the heat where it's mounted. Also check that cables are big enough and that all connections are NOT corroded and super tight. There should be little to no voltage drop if the connections are good and the cables are big enough. I have run into such issues time and again with high current 12V applications. The more the voltage drop, the more you stress those power transistors in the controller, since more current is demanded to maintain the voltage going out.
Stacaz

Cousin_Eddy1
Explorer
Explorer
So, put all new batteries in. The voltage is a little lower behind the dash, than at the battery, but only by .2 -.3 V. So this wasn't my root cause. Oh, well, still needed new batteries anyway. I guess I have to replace the jack controller. They run $350. Not a happy camper. You'd think that it would last the life of the RV. Oh well.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah low batts will wreck havoc and cause all types of mysterious issues on RV electronics and controllers. You may want to desulphate that battery to get the voltage up. Glad it worked out for you and thanks for posting the results.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Cousin_Eddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, my main chassis battery is getting old, and voltage is typically lower behind the dash especially if you are running the dash AC, or have the lights on. So, the fix was to turn off everything. Start the motor, let the voltage come up. Hit any button and the unit shuts off. Then hit front and rear jacks at the same time. It goes into config mode. Hit the right jack button 3 times quickly. The "wait" light comes on. When that tuns off, everything works. Of course, time for a new set of batteries. Rather spend money on that, than a controller. So, another fix for the RVnet archives.

Cousin_Eddy1
Explorer
Explorer
That was the first thing I checked. Thanks.

stacaz822
Explorer
Explorer
First things first. Check ALL wiring and make SURE it's correct, and that you have no bad grounds or positives. Check with VM to be sure. It's likely user error.
Stacaz

Cousin_Eddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Was really just wondering if other people have had problems with this controller. Because, if the Power Gear 500731 controller is just a $350 piece of junk, I could probably just mount 4 momentary switches on the dash that will do the same thing for like $20. You know, so I'm not falling for the planned obsolescence deal.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Contact PowerGear. They should have a 1-800 phone number. Also, visit their website. Lots of info there.

g'luck!