cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom Build!

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I selected the correct category for this build. I just wanted to share what I am creating. I will also need some advise along the road so I wanted to get started here. You can also follow this build on Facebook, Instagram, and youtube under Urthworm_Life.
Comments and advise are most welcome.
https://youtu.be/C8xd66LG1NM
15 REPLIES 15

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
That looks great man!!

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
dont' put anything hot on that countertop. The spar will melt.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Urthworm_Life wrote:
Thanks for the compliment on the welds! What did you use for a finish on the pine? I worry about it being too soft. I thought it would be cool to pour that urethane or whatever it is and get that super deep look. Also thought about using a router to do a dinosaur skeleton and inlay my polished fossil fragments. Then go over the top with the poly. You are so correct on the layout of wiring. What a mess but I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
I used multiple coats of different sealers, the final coats being spar varnish. I tend to not use urethanes unless it is paramount to not change the color of the wood. Then, I will use a water based urethane. Yes, the thick urethane poured tops can be cool and adding in fossils sounds like a real interesting idea.

Here are some pine panel images:

Table, edge banded with Ipe-

Kitchen counter top, edge banded with Ipe--

Auxiliary counter top, edge banded with Walnut--

Overall, the pine counter tops are holding up. They are soft and now have a few scratches but that's OK for a Cowboy bunkhouse. ๐Ÿ™‚
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the compliment on the welds! What did you use for a finish on the pine? I worry about it being too soft. I thought it would be cool to pour that urethane or whatever it is and get that super deep look. Also thought about using a router to do a dinosaur skeleton and inlay my polished fossil fragments. Then go over the top with the poly. You are so correct on the layout of wiring. What a mess but I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Urthworm_Life wrote:
Evidently I don't know how to use this forum. If I move my cursor it will not let me continue.

So yes I will be checking out your build! Thanks again for the compliment as well as the information!!
Dunno' what the cursor problem is but it's not surprising as the software to operate the Forum is ancient.

You're welcome, it's always an interesting thing for me to see how others design and work. Many years ago, I was a road crew welder so I was checking out your welds. Very nice, each joint ground and smooth with adequate material used.

Yeah, even with plans, I forgot two things to install and had to backtrack---audio cable from the television location and a switch location in the kitchen. Luckily no wall panel removal was necessary. I don't think most folks know how complex the wiring layouts can be in a typical RV.

BTW, don't know if you got to it or not, but I saw in your videos that you were contemplating a pine panel counter top. I have two of them and a pine dining table. They are working out well for me.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
Evidently I don't know how to use this forum. If I move my cursor it will not let me continue.

So yes I will be checking out your build! Thanks again for the compliment as well as the information!!

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
I REALLY appreciate your post!! I agree completely as to having good plans. There are also timesome I just stopped working and studied everything for hours to make sure it was right. Hahahahahahahaha A slow and tedious process but like you said it would suck to have to back up and remove walls etc. Especially since every thing in this unit is foam sealed, liquid nailed,etc. I have taken detailed pictures to fall back on later so I know where wiring is run etc.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Like what you're doing there. Very sturdy construction throughout.

FWIW, I gutted and restored a travel trailer. The build thread is in my signature line--The Cowboy/Hilton. Maybe you can get a few ideas out of it.

Tips: Insulate everything as best as you can. The good result will be with you forever. My Starcraft is really tight, very little outside noise and easy to heat and cool. I used Low-E windows, sliders. That was a good choice.

Have an electrical layout plan for both 120V AC and 12V DC. I used a couple of junction boxes in the ceiling cavity to make maintenance and upgrades possible. I also installed a 1" conduit in the ceiling to pull future wire, (should it be necessary). All electrical service distribution is initiated in one kitchen cabinet so distribution and service is easy. Locate batteries in the best locations for weight carrying and close in proximity to the distribution. I built my own 12V distribution panel, using switches and bus boxes to ease distribution and control. Inverter and solar charge controller are mounted on this panel.

The biggest and most important requirement with a project of this scope is the schedule and layout of the interior. Having good plans eased the work for me. It's a lot easier to look at a piece of paper and determine the orders of installation than having to go back and remove wall or ceiling panels.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully,fingers crossed,it will be just right..hahahaha

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it is very well constructed, you've done a great job. I'd be worried about the weight though.

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
Well we will see what my weight comes out to be when finished. I think I will be alot lighter than previously thought. If I have to go to dual tires can do that
The only difference between my truck and a 1 ton is spring pack. The camper looks larger than it actually is. It is a 10' box 88"wide with a 65"overhang. Time will tell. Thanks for the comment.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cap'n Black wrote:
I believe I selected the correct category for this build. I just wanted to share what I am creating. I will also need some advise along the road so I wanted to get started here. You can also follow this build on Facebook, Instagram, and youtube under Urthworm_Life.
Comments and advise are most welcome.
https://youtu.be/C8xd66LG1NM

Link

Last comment about the truck you are going to try to carry this with, You need a bigger truck!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
Video 4
https://youtu.be/nQkZK2nYTc4

Urthworm_Life
Explorer
Explorer
Video 3
https://youtu.be/Un3qwv4_XfY