cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer electric brake removal

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
has anyone ever removed the entire electric brake system from a travel trailer and what does it entail.
Do I need to remove the wheel hubs to do it ?
Do I have to cap off any of the wires from the tow vehicle so they won't be hot when the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle?

I want to get rid of the whole system on a tiny trailer

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
23 REPLIES 23

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I would not consider them a safety device, the only reason that I still make an effort to keep them in service is for some measure of control on an icy road.

A classic oxymoron statement.

Do you tow on icy roads? Do you know how to use the hand control? Do you have extensive knowledge of 7" brakes?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
I still have a snowmobile trailer with 4 of those, and they need work after every long trip.

If your brakes need service all the time, they're shot. You can go online and order complete brake assemblies--backing plates, magnets, shoes, the works--for about $30 apiece.

You can't fix junk by replacing it with new junk. Yes, I have been thru more 7" brake assemblies and parts over the past 40 years than you have ever seen. I have tried different brands with no luck. Yes, I know what I am doing.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I still have a snowmobile trailer with 4 of those, and they need work after every long trip.

If your brakes need service all the time, they're shot. You can go online and order complete brake assemblies--backing plates, magnets, shoes, the works--for about $30 apiece.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
The OP asked a simple question and the only one who answered what he asked was Westend.

The OP said - "Do I have to cap off any of the wires from the tow vehicle so they won't be hot when the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle?

Did I not answer his question by saying simply disconnect the brake controller? :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I would not consider them a safety device, the only reason that I still make an effort to keep them in service is for some measure of control on an icy road.

A classic oxymoron statement.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious ......

If someone asked 'how do I disable my bake lights would anyone just give an answer OR would there be questions 'WHY'?

I think more would question WHY then just give a flat out answer.

Although it is simple to disable a trailer brake system.....disconnect/tape off brake wire on trailer umbilical cord OR gut whole system the real question is WHY?

NORTH CAROLINA
Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle of at least 4,000 lbs., and every house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs., shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
So then cut the brake wires and yank them out.
Need idler hubs to be rid of the drums and shoes.
No changes to tow vehicle but you may as well remove the brake controller unless built-in then just leave it.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
The OP asked a simple question and the only one who answered what he asked was Westend.
My hat is off to you Westend.

I had a very small pop up many years ago, (that I could wheel around by myself) and the electric brakes caused great anguish one day when they locked up in the middle of no where for no apparent reason.
It cost me a motel stay with my family along with an expense that I could hardly afford.
I had them removed when all was said and done and never once regretted it

Guy

In the past, I've made the point that 7" brakes are junk and completely understand not wanting the grief. I still have a snowmobile trailer with 4 of those, and they need work after every long trip. I would not consider them a safety device, the only reason that I still make an effort to keep them in service is for some measure of control on an icy road.

The magnets coming off the arm and jamming things up is common. I braze a keeper on to eliminate that issue.

I didn't jump in right away on this thread knowing what would follow.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
My hat is off to you Westend.

I had a very small pop up many years ago, (that I could wheel around by myself) and the electric brakes caused great anguish one day when they locked up in the middle of no where for no apparent reason.
It cost me a motel stay with my family along with an expense that I could hardly afford.
I had them removed when all was said and done and never once regretted it

Guy

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
The brakes are there for a reason. Safety, Safety, and Safety.;)
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP: There are a few responses nere, but the burning question to many of us is "Why do you want to do this?"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
westend wrote:
You can just leave the operating parts of the brakes in place and remove/cut the connection to the brake system wiring.

Why would one cut any wires? Just disconnect the brake controller. :R

That said, why bother? Brakes on any trailer are there for a good reason. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Yeah, a guy could disconnect the controller or put a switch through the circuit in the vehicle. I assumed he may have another trailer that needs brake controller intact. There may also be wire access issues in the vehicle.
Regardless, he asked about the wiring at the trailer and how to insulate the wires there.:)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1nobby wrote:
westend wrote:
You can just leave the operating parts of the brakes in place and remove/cut the connection to the brake system wiring. If you cut the wire close to the trailer umbilical connection, you can cover the end of the cut wire with a wire nut and tape. You could also remove the connecting wire from the termination in the trailer umbilical connector.

To remove the brake operating parts, you will need to remove wheel and the hub. The outer bearing will typically come off with the hub. Next, remove the drum. The typical brake assembly is fastened onto a backing plate that attaches to the axle with four bolts. Cut the connecting wire and remove the four bolts. The whole brake assembly and backing plate will then come off the axle. To reassemble, you may wish to remove the operating parts of the brake assembly and attach the backing plate onto the axle (keeps drum clean for future brake installation). Reattach the drum and hub, making sure the bearings are seated correctly.

As usual, Westend, you answered the question that was asked rather provide a personal opinion.

I wish there were more respondents like Westend.
There have been times when I have asked a question that just required a "yes" or "no" answer, and I'll end up getting a five paragraph lecture from someone; similar to some of the above.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
You can just leave the operating parts of the brakes in place and remove/cut the connection to the brake system wiring. If you cut the wire close to the trailer umbilical connection, you can cover the end of the cut wire with a wire nut and tape. You could also remove the connecting wire from the termination in the trailer umbilical connector.

To remove the brake operating parts, you will need to remove wheel and the hub. The outer bearing will typically come off with the hub. Next, remove the drum. The typical brake assembly is fastened onto a backing plate that attaches to the axle with four bolts. Cut the connecting wire and remove the four bolts. The whole brake assembly and backing plate will then come off the axle. To reassemble, you may wish to remove the operating parts of the brake assembly and attach the backing plate onto the axle (keeps drum clean for future brake installation). Reattach the drum and hub, making sure the bearings are seated correctly.

Many thanks Westend that is what I was looking for

Jack L
Jack & Nanci