cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inherited goose neck hitch on 2011 CTD 3500

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I posted in another thread regarding my daughter's new-to-her 2011 RAM CTD 3500. She wants to get a 5er and this truck came with a goose neck hitch already installed. Can she use this hitch with a properly modified 5er? What are the pros and cons with a goose neck hitch and a 5er? Obviously gives you more room in the bed!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
12 REPLIES 12

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tinner12002 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, in order to use the gooseneck ball with a 5th wheel hitch the ball has to have a square base. Some others are round like the factory Ram gooseneck ball and have been told those won't work.

That era truck did NOT have factory gooseneck available. Most likely a B&W TurnoverBall.

Get the 20K Companion hitch.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm not mistaken, in order to use the gooseneck ball with a 5th wheel hitch the ball has to have a square base. Some others are round like the factory Ram gooseneck ball and have been told those won't work.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
If its a B&W it might not be an issue as they have a fifth wheel hitch that works with some of theirs.

I'll look closer, have only seen the truck once and noticed the hole in the bed for the goose neck, but no ball. Maybe she's got the ball in the truck. I'll get more info and post back.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
Look into the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch, the aluminum model that attaches via a gooseneck hitch. They weigh 32 lbs and can be removed in a few minutes. They have become very popular with 5th wheelers. There are many threads about the hitch on this forum. We're planning to upgrade from a TT to a 5th wheel, and plan to buy an Andersen.

As someone commented, don't use a goosebox / gooseneck adapter attached to your 5th wheel. The support structure in the 5th isn't desgined for the additional leverage -- bad idea.

Thank you for the info, very helpful.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
If its a B&W it might not be an issue as they have a fifth wheel hitch that works with some of theirs.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Look into the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch, the aluminum model that attaches via a gooseneck hitch. They weigh 32 lbs and can be removed in a few minutes. They have become very popular with 5th wheelers. There are many threads about the hitch on this forum. We're planning to upgrade from a TT to a 5th wheel, and plan to buy an Andersen.

As someone commented, don't use a goosebox / gooseneck adapter attached to your 5th wheel. The support structure in the 5th isn't desgined for the additional leverage -- bad idea.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
This is a common asked question, and although many use a gooseneck adapter on their FW pinbox, it is not the best option. A FW frame is not designed for the amplified leverage of a gooseneck adapter. A normal gooseneck trailer is way stronger in the forward frame work, to handle the twisting leverage.

While many do this, say no problem, I would not go this route. If you really want to make use of the ball, there are several hitches that may attach to it. Myself, with a 3500, I'd go with a regular quality FW hitch.

Jerry

I'm with MFL on this issue! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Andersen and PullRite both have light-weight fifth wheel options that mound to the truck with the turnover ball. B&W and several others have standard (read "heavy") fifth wheel hitches that also install using the gooseneck ball. As advised, stay away from gooseneck adapters for the fifth wheel.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
IMO Id add a fifth wheel hitch to the truck. Most times you can retain the goose neck hitch as well.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks for the info!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Bedlam
There are some drop in fifth wheel cradles that attach to the gooseneck in the truck. This allows you to use an unaltered fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer with the same truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is a common asked question, and although many use a gooseneck adapter on their FW pinbox, it is not the best option. A FW frame is not designed for the amplified leverage of a gooseneck adapter. A normal gooseneck trailer is way stronger in the forward frame work, to handle the twisting leverage.

While many do this, say no problem, I would not go this route. If you really want to make use of the ball, there are several hitches that may attach to it. Myself, with a 3500, I'd go with a regular quality FW hitch.

Jerry