cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will My Class Flip Over?

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
My driveway slopes about 10 degrees. If I'm turning my Class A, 20,000#, F53, 32' motorhome around, I have to get it sideways on the hill. Any danger of it falling over on it's side?

I know that sounds ridiculous but it really looks scary. I haven't tried it yet. I guess that's obvious or the title of the thread would be "I Flipped My Rig In The Driveway". 🙂
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
37 REPLIES 37

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Where we live in Central Florida, we had a lot of Sugar Sand. Sugar Sand is a very fine type of sand and it's very hard to drive on.

So, I was trying to back my new to me Class A into my backyard as it has to be either back 75 feet from the road or parked even with the fron of the house. The area that I use to park my RV's is at about a 5 deg slope that levels out the futher back you go. As I was backing in the rear wheels started to slide on the Sugar Sand putting my a little too close to my fence.

I never thought that I would have this problem as I have backed my 37' Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler in there many times. So, I am now getting prices on leveling it out, laying some Clay and then put some either Cruched rock or shells down. I just chaulk it up as the price of ownership!

Hohenwald48, I'm glad that you got it worked out and now you know you can do it.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
mike brez wrote:

I think that's either a travel trailer or a frameless class A.

A little liquid nails and a few beers should get her going again.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Nashville,
You're over there in the flat part. Come ride with me. I'm north of Knoxville where the big bumps are. You'll have to clean up after a ride up my driveway 😉
10 degrees! No problem!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Hindsight is always 20/20, but if you think about it how could anything ever get delivered to your place. Those delivery trucks have the same wheel width and high CG just like a MH.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I bet he was going faster than idle speed. 🙂

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ok how about this one lol

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Hohenwald48, glad it all went well. Now you know what you can do in your driveway without incident.

The above pic is a travel trailer as it has two side doors (one attached and one leaning). Also, you can see the trailer hitch tongue mixed in the debris.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

I think that's either a travel trailer or a frameless class A.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I don't know about all Class A's but I do know that a 2007 National RV 32C on a F53 chassis will not roll over on a 10-12 degree side slope. Finally went for it today and no problem at all. Sorry but I don't have a video as it turned out to be a non-event. Thanks all.

I never was asking about rollover in an accident. I was asking about side hill in my driveway and turning around at a speed less than idle speed.

All went well.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I won't go to my brothers house anymore as the parking spot he has for me requires too much slope for me to be comfortable. I have parked there but worry the entire time will I flip over on the way out. I say, you can never be too careful. If you detect the "pucker" factor, back out and don't do it. No point risking it. To counter my own point, I have have yet to flip over.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I could look at my RV in the driveway with it tilting all the time. I also wouldn't feel comfortable inside of it. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Ever seen the sign "Slippery When Wet?" Don't know where your driveway is located or what the surface is, but, at 10 degrees of incline, that's more than enough to go for a wild ride if you encounter water, mud, snow, ice, oil, grass, etc. in any combination. All the above may be present on driveways, hopefully not on yours!

Chum lee

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Guessing BB's had to be certified since they where school buses full of little kiddies.

I doubt that entry level MH with composite walls and luan roof would hold up as well.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.