Explorer
Anyone towing a 3100 RL Keystone Montana with a HD2500 Duramax
17 REPLIES 17

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Redwoodcamper wrote:
You can't legally tow that much weight with with your Duramax.

Where is the law that says it's illegal?

Some states, Flordia for one, have laws that state if you cause an accident with injuries and you are over your payload, you could be charged with a felony.

There are laws but not as direct as you were looking for.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Montana 3100RL but pull it with a Ram dually so all I can add is this. The 2500lb dry weight is low, ours was closer to 2800lb's dry and once the washer and dryer were installed and loaded to camp it went to 3480lbs. I have pulled it with stuff in all the tanks before and it was over 3650lbs. Your black tank and one grey tank are forward of the axels, one grey and fresh water tank are behind the axels. I like it that heavy because it makes the truck ride better but for a 2500 truck I would be worried all the time. Like others have said it's not about what it can pull, it's what it can carry.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
What I can tell you, I've had 2,200 pounds of rock in the bed of my pickup which put me at 9,900 pounds total, with a GVW of 9,200 pounds. I wouldn't want to drive very far with that much weight in my bed. With this setup, a minimum you'd be at 2,600 pounds plus 100 pounds for the hitch. That's your call but I wouldn't do it personally given my experience with just loaded rock. I do have upgraded tires and air bags would help. But it's still not a stable setup you'd probably be happy with over long road trips.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The odds of anyone on this forum having his EXACT combination are infinitesimal!

The op had no idea if that was true. Besides one of the reasons of a forum is asking questions.
Some folks can make helpful replies to a OP question......others not so helpful.

Did the OP come here with a realistic expectation that someone was going to answer his exact yes/no question? If so he has no idea how the world works or how forums work.

You joking right.
The OP posed a realistic question and deserves a realistic answer which is the purpose of a forum....not a terse reply directed at him like this one that doesn't help the OP;
Quote; Translation:

*I know a 2500 won't be within limits, but I want someone to tell me "I be done it fo'eva, ain't neva had no prollems.* (end of quote)
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMNLIN wrote:
LOL...one thing consistent about RV.net is its weight cops and funny comments about legal weight issues..... and not answering your question.

The odds of anyone on this forum having his EXACT combination are infinitesimal! There are thousands of different models of trailers that vary in size and weight from year to year, and hundreds of different models/configurations of trucks that vary in ratings from year to year. On top of that, this forum only covers a small percentage of all RV owners.

Did the OP come here with a realistic expectation that someone was going to answer his exact yes/no question? If so he has no idea how the world works or how forums work.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
hitchikerman wrote:
Actually I ask is anyone towing but thanks for the help anyways

LOL...one thing consistent about RV.net is its weight cops and funny comments about legal weight issues..... and not answering your question.

I don't have a Montana or a chevy Dmax/A but check out montanaowners.com for some actual answers to your question from those that may actually own the same truck and trailer.

JMO but you will probably get the same type answers of the 2500 simply doesn't have enough rear suspension for a trailer that size without some safe upgrades.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOT Laws do NOT pertain to private trucks especially non-commercial ones.

Being overweight is a safety issue......unfortunately no law covers being stupid
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Redwoodcamper wrote:

The law of common sense that says if you tow outside of rated limits you have a higher chance of killing yourself or someone else.

Hard to identify specific statutes without knowing states, but call your insurance company and see what they think of the idea.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:

Bob

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Translation:

I know a 2500 won't be within limits, but I want someone to tell me "I be done it fo'eva, ain't neva had no prollems.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
hitchikerman wrote:

NOT if they are paying attention to what their 2500 real world ratings are
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
You can't legally tow that much weight with with your Duramax. That's a different question than "can my Duramax tow this."
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Some try, but you will likely run out of load carrying capacity long before you run out of towing power.

X2. I just looked up the specs on the 3100RL and, though the empty pin weight is listed at 2,545 lbs., the load pin weight will be at least 3,600 lbs. - well over the rear axle capacity of a 3/4 ton truck and into 1-ton dual rear wheel territory. The Duramax will pull a house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house over the rear axle of the truck.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015