cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiating RV Price

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
I'm comfortable negotiating the price of a car or a house, but am not sure what to expect with an RV. We're about to buy a brand new Wolf Creek truck camper and are wondering how much wiggle room RV dealers have. I don't know if it's nothing or a lot. A new GM car or truck can be sold for 12% below MSRP, but I doubt they'll go that far on an RV- especially since the one we are looking at is in high demand right now.

So, what do you all think?
2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper
16 REPLIES 16

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Also need to adjust for where you are. Here in FL (and in AZ where I bought) there are RVs for sale on every corner (buyers market) in Northern VA, good condition used RVs were gone within a week (sellers market). As such, adjust your price accordingly.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a sellers market too right now. I noticed the good used ones aren't for sale long at the dealers. Plus the dealers don't want to give you squat for your trade in.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck with the new RV.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input. We had a bit of an odd situation. There were only 4 units like we wanted west of the Mississippi, and only 1 of those had the options we wanted. It was about 1000 miles away, and we needed same day turnaround. This meant that we had to arrange everything ahead of time, so my cards were already on the table. I wasn't able to play hard ball like I usually do, but we still got 20% off MSRP. I'm happy with that.
2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pin dealers up to dealers. "They will sell me it for X". Do it over email even. Take the best price and don't let them complicate it.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like anything else, do the research on same & similar models & like said above, be willing to walk.

After we lost our first 5er to a blowover & got our insurance money we were ready to buy again. We wanted what we lost or only a couple of other models.

We showed up at a CO dealership with everything we had salvaged from the destroyed 5er in the back of the truck. Turned out that the dealer had just what we wanted literally tucked away in the back corner of his lot. He had bought it at the builders bankruptsy auction, a year old but never used.

He gave us a price. We laughed at him. Pointed to our truck loaded with stuff outside & told him he needed to sharpen his pencil alot or that truck was headed to TX the next day to see a couple of others lined up & would not be returning if he called tomorrow. He needed to come up with best price right now. Down it came by almost $20,000.

He must have figured on making money on the loan. More bad news. 2 days later, taking delivery & filling out the paperwork he finds out that we are paying cash.

Be ready to play some hardball. A day of travel for the right rig at the right price is worth it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
be willing to "WALK" from a deal... 3 to 5 days later they may call you with a better offer. but you might not even make it home if you have a cell phone.

Just like purchasing cars and trucks..

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper dealers here in the midwest are scarce, but the one I bought my Northern-Lite from currently has the Wolf Creek priced at ~18% below MSRP for the 2017's and the remaining 2016 is advertised at 22% below MSRP.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
My personal feeling but I happen to think we are in a sellers market right now. 30 percent off may be possible in a strong buyers market. IMO 25 Percent on a $25 - $30K rig would be doing good in todays market; even less on a lower priced unit. I believe there are lots of buyers right now, middle of summer could be totally different. Just my opinion, yours may vary.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Do not fall for the 'documentation fee,' or any add ons of any kind. Quote your price, out the door for the unit. Be prepared to walk away as if you-and do - mean it.
If you need financing, be preapproved by your financier. Do not finance through the dealer.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Watch out for hidden fees, documentation fees, clean up fees, etc. The general best advice is to negotiate the bottom line price, and let them worry about how the line items will get to match up.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the brand. Some brands have more Mark ups than others. I started around 30 but didn't get that much. Depends on how much time you have and how desperate the dealer is.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
30% off MSRP is the norm. More or less depending on what the dealer is willing to throw in to sweeten the deal. Mirrors, extra water line, extra sewer line, maybe a trailer hitch and sway bars. Ask and see what you can get.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I started at 40% off MSRP and ended up with 35% off MSRP
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD