cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Rim Trail videos

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
It's been awhile since my last posting and I just completed a series of White Rim Trail video from our journey in 2014. For those those who are considering doing this trail in your truck camper these videos will be of use to you. My rig is a 2007 Ford 4x4 hauling a 2002 Lance 815. What make this particular journey on the WRT special is the fact it was the first we were able to completely circumnavigate the trail after previous journeies ended up with mother Nature washing out the trail.

White Rim Trail,part1

White Rim Trail, part2

White Rim Trail, part3

White Rim Trail, part4

White Rim Trail, part5

Allow yourself plenty of time to watch all 5 parts.

Thanks to all, c.traveler2
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog
20 REPLIES 20

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Since there is some interest from different parties about the WRT I'll put some more do's and don't here.

Remove your jacks if they hang too low or your camper is a bit on the wide side.

If you have air bags, forget them or deflate to almost zero, they are counter productive in this situation.

Beef up your rear suspension with either extra leaf spring, over spring and or over load extension or all three. This is to control the bouncing and rocking roll of you rig.

If you rig has a shallow approach/departure angle you'll be leaving some of your rig on the trail.

Have enough fuel to get out the same way you came in, the trail could wash out or be flooded over and this could happen over night.

Tire air pressure, I run at 35 psi and have B.F. Goodrich 285/70/17 KO2, adjusting tire pressure will be a on going thing for your rig till you get it dialed in.

Loosen tie downs, this is to keep them for tearing out or pulling down the bottom of you POC.

Another reason for having plenty of fuel especially the gassier rigs. The Nation Park list the WRT as only 100 miles,that's from the trail head to the park bountary on the Green River side. I measure it from the nearest fuel station back on SR 191 and SR313 to the trail head to the park bountary on the Green River side from that point on the Mineral Road all the way back to SR313 to the fuel station at SR313 and SR191. That's about 35+100+30+30= 195 est miles.

A must do, bring plenty of battery power for those cameras

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
c.traveler2 wrote:
maxum1989 wrote:
c.traveler2

What would you estimate the widest camper that could fit the tight spots on the trail?

I know your 815 is a fairly narrow camper. My camper is 94" wide. You think I would make it through?

Also, I watched the videos and you mention you had cell coverage. The whole way? Just spots here and there? I ask because I am just thinking about the what ifs of needing help on the trail. How is that handled without a way of contacting anyone? It seemed pretty quiet out there and pretty remote. Help would be pretty far away and that's after actually contacting someone. Thoughts?

mellomike was on our 2016 trip and he has a North Star Laredo SC, he made it by in some of the tightest sections. He asked me to come along as a guide for his first time adventure on the WRT. as far as cell coverage as long as you could see the La Sal Mountains your pretty good with a cell signal after that satille phones, I have Verizon and I believe Mike had At&T. If you take a look at a trail map you'll find it is some what arrow head shape with a number of hiking trail going up the plateau above.

If you want you could do part of the trail and go back out the way you came in, have plenty of fuel.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Tom_Anderson wrote:
I'd love to do the WRT. I'm just afraid my Wolf Creek 850 might be too wide and/or too tall.

Tom, you can do most of the trail, at least up to Murphy Hog back campsite. If you can get past what I call the "Bill Cap" rocks you most likely could make it to Potato Bottom Campsite after that I just not sure, but be prepare to have enough fuel to go out tht way you came in

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
c.traveler2 wrote:
dakonthemountain wrote:
WOW! What a trip! Thank you for sharing it with us! It's a drizzly, wet day up in Crestline so I had the time to watch the entire 5 sections... How did you loose your steps? Were they just hooked and bounced off?.... Did the dent on the front of your Lance happen on this trip?.... Did you have to back track the entire trip or is there another way out at the end where you took the photo at the cattle gate?.... Made me a bit woozy in a couple of sponts, especially on the last leg out. I'd LOVE to do this trip but am not as confident as you are, plus, my 2wd dually and monster Lance would NEVER fit or be able too! Anyway, Thank you again!

Cheers!
Dak

That dent was not from any off road adventure, it was than at home accident, since no hole was created and no inside damage I just let it be.
One continues on out on the Mineral Road and up another set of switch backs, the only time you need to turn around is if the trail is flooded over or washed out. You do need a 4 wheel drive, having a camper makes it a must if you want to make all the way around.

d By: dakonthemountain on 03/21/17 03:57pm

Oh! also, how much air did you let out of your tires to make the trip and why do you loosen the tie downs?... wouldn't that make the camper lurch side to side and yank harder on the connections?

So many questions, but this is new for me in terms of 4x4 camper trips...

Thanks!
Dak

I'd aired down to 35 psi in all four tires, this is to help with reducing the bouncing around. As far as loosing the tie down this is to keep them from being pulled out, this may not be as big of a problem pop-up camper but its a problem with hardsides on this type of trail.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
dakonthemountain wrote:
WOW! What a trip! Thank you for sharing it with us! It's a drizzly, wet day up in Crestline so I had the time to watch the entire 5 sections... How did you loose your steps? Were they just hooked and bounced off?.... Did the dent on the front of your Lance happen on this trip?.... Did you have to back track the entire trip or is there another way out at the end where you took the photo at the cattle gate?.... Made me a bit woozy in a couple of sponts, especially on the last leg out. I'd LOVE to do this trip but am not as confident as you are, plus, my 2wd dually and monster Lance would NEVER fit or be able too! Anyway, Thank you again!

Cheers!
Dak

That dent was not from any off road adventure, it was than at home accident, since no hole was created and no inside damage I just let it be.
One continues on out on the Mineral Road and up another set of switch backs, the only time you need to turn around is if the trail is flooded over or washed out. You do need a 4 wheel drive, having a camper makes it a must if you want to make all the way around.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
TomP40 wrote:
I have a very similar setup as you, 2007 F-350 PSD,CC,SB and a 97 Lance 3000 on it.
My question is how big is your gas tank?
How has your truck treated you overall as far as reliability?
I've only put 17k mi on mine since I bought it but will be doing some long trips in the near future.
What kind of speeds were you doing on the Trail?
Thanks,
Tom

I have the original 38 gal fuel tank(diesel), plus I had a auxiliary 40 gal tank installed..total 78 gals.
I have 143,070 miles on the 6.0 PSD, these are the things I had to fix or replace due to being worn out or broken. Do keep than eye on the oil cooler if it goes so does your engine.
1) turbo...2) oil cooler (clogging) this was discovered during a by choice upgrade on the egr cooler and water pump upgrade (Bullet Proof products) also a set of dummy plugs. This was done before our 2015 Summer Journey covering over 16,000 miles other than the above items its been oil change and other fluids.
The WRT is self imposing trail, it will let you know if you going too fast, some sections it was crawling and others we got up to 15-20 mph.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
maxum1989 wrote:
c.traveler2

What would you estimate the widest camper that could fit the tight spots on the trail?

I know your 815 is a fairly narrow camper. My camper is 94" wide. You think I would make it through?

Also, I watched the videos and you mention you had cell coverage. The whole way? Just spots here and there? I ask because I am just thinking about the what ifs of needing help on the trail. How is that handled without a way of contacting anyone? It seemed pretty quiet out there and pretty remote. Help would be pretty far away and that's after actually contacting someone. Thoughts?

mellomike was on our 2016 trip and he has a North Star Laredo SC, he made it by in some of the tightest sections. He asked me to come along as a guide for his first time adventure on the WRT. as far as cell coverage as long as you could see the La Sal Mountains your pretty good with a cell signal after that satille phones, I have Verizon and I believe Mike had At&T. If you take a look at a trail map you'll find it is some what arrow head shape with a number of hiking trail going up the plateau above.

If you want you could do part of the trail and go back out the way you came in, have plenty of fuel.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Oh! also, how much air did you let out of your tires to make the trip and why do you loosen the tie downs?... wouldn't that make the camper lurch side to side and yank harder on the connections?

So many questions, but this is new for me in terms of 4x4 camper trips...

Thanks!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer

Cheers!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
I'd love to do the WRT. I'm just afraid my Wolf Creek 850 might be too wide and/or too tall.

TomP40
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very similar setup as you, 2007 F-350 PSD,CC,SB and a 97 Lance 3000 on it.
My question is how big is your gas tank?
How has your truck treated you overall as far as reliability?
I've only put 17k mi on mine since I bought it but will be doing some long trips in the near future.
What kind of speeds were you doing on the Trail?
Thanks,
Tom
2007 F-350 4X4 SB Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke, bullet proof upgrades-EGR, remote oil cooler, stand pipes &dummy plugs, blue spring, water pump, STC fitting...
1997 Lance Squire 3000-My first Truck Camper

69cayo
Explorer
Explorer
That was great !
Thanks for all your hard work.

maxum1989
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2

2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Thanks. Looks like you had no clearance issues above or below. Cell coverage to boot. All I need to do is convince Kelli to do The White Rim Trail. Seeing your wife doing it certainly helps my case. Take care,,,

Yes, we watched all the videos. There were some squeakers side way and overhead. We're looking to get a 4x4 Transit conversion 148" wheelbase. Narrower that a TC and Lower overhead too plus decent ground clearance.