cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East coast camping

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the very early planning of a east coast camping trip. This will be our first long trip after retiring. Trip length will probably be 3 months. We will probably start our journey in South Carolina and hope to go all the way to Maine, maybe Nova Scotia. I have South and North Carolina covered. After that, I am lost. We would prefer to stay on the coastal route, not necessarily interstate travel. Any ideas of coastal campgrounds and must see attractions? We have never camped up the east coast farther than North Carolina. Thanks!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos
35 REPLIES 35

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
For baseball fans, the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY is well worth a stop. Glimmerglass State Park is nearby, and there are a number of campgrounds, some of which may cater to youth baseball tournaments. Close enough to coordinate with other Finger Lakes or Adirondack stops.
2013 RT 190-Popular

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you like waterfalls, check out my favorite state park - Ricketts Glen in eastern Pennsylvania.

A lake, 2 campgrounds, both dry camping, but bathrooms with showers, and 21 waterfalls along a 7 mile hike. Some Photos

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought is to try to get you away from your Neighborhood - "The East Coast".

Why? Not your call. She asked specific questions. I'm sure she's aware of her own physical limitations. I could easily counter and say that navigating east coast traffic, etc., is better done by someone who's driving skills have not started to deteriorate because of age. But what's the point? Her decision.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frontier Town has the water park not Castaways.
Puma 30RKSS

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
If you do go into Canada, Fundy National Park has the biggest tidal change in the world and Cape Breton Highland National park is nice.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
cindik wrote:

We are in the very early planning of a east coast camping trip.

This will be our first long trip after retiring.

Trip length will probably be 3 months.

We will probably start our journey in South Carolina and

hope to go all the way to Maine,

maybe Nova Scotia.

I have South and North Carolina covered.

After that, I am lost.

We would prefer to stay on the coastal route, not necessarily interstate travel.

Any ideas of coastal campgrounds and must see attractions?

We have never camped up the east coast farther than North Carolina.

Thanks!

My first thought is to try to get you away from your Neighborhood - "The East Coast" .

IMHO, your first trip should be to the Rockies - allowing you to see something "Different".

Having spent my life on either the Left Coast of the Right Coast, only seeing the Rockies as we traveled between the two (10-12 times) then later on just a few family trips or winter ski trips, I understand the draw to the Ocean (38 years of Reunions on the Beach) there is nothing like the Rockies (Having a son there is a pretty strong magnet). We have one (son) in Colorado with the 4 Granddaughters, so a little bias here.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but the energy required to do the Rockies is more than needed to relax on the Beach so I'd suggest you do it first. As you get into retirement the East Coast, will still be here, the traffic, the crowds, the Beach, all will be pretty much the same, easy and relaxing.

If by chance you still have the energy to - get up - Hike out - explore - see - touch - experience the Rockies I'd Do IT, NOW.

Guess I should stop, this is your post, just wanted to add to the Possibilities of a "First Retirement Trip"

Just a Humble suggestion,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Jackha1949 wrote:
Maine is an awesome place to camp. North of Portland you can take Rt 295 to Brunswick, Me and catch Rt 1 which is the coastal route all along the coast.

Rte 1 is a coastal route, but you won't see much of the ocean.....

Dre (Maine)

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I stayed at Fundy National Park in New Brunswick. I believe they have the highest tidal change in the world. From there we went to Cape Breton Highland National Park.

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
floridacamper wrote:
cindik wrote:
Thanks all of you, this gives me some awesome info to plan our trip!
Hey Cindy how have you been? long time no hear from. Hope your son made it OK overseas.

Floridacamper, Seth made it as well as anyone could in Afghanistan. He is living and working at Glacier. Good to hear from you! Hope you and family are well!

Our Photos

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Others have covered these but I'll add a +1 to them:
CT - Mystic Seaport
MA - Boston and Cape Cod
ME - Acadia
NH - Mt Washington
VA - Colonial Williamsburg
NY - northern Adirondacks. We prefer state campgrounds and there's Lake Placid and the Olympic venues.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

cindik wrote:
Hey Cindy how have you been? long time no hear from. Hope your son made it OK overseas.

cindik
Explorer
Explorer

Our Photos

Jackha1949
Explorer
Explorer
Maine is an awesome place to camp. North of Portland you can take Rt 295 to Brunswick, Me and catch Rt 1 which is the coastal route all along the coast. Bath is a nice place to visit as well as Boothbay Harbor. There is a nice campgrounds near Bath in Phippsburg called Meadowbrook Campgrounds and from there you can visit Popham Beach which is one of the prettiest beaches in Maine. The 2nd English colony was founded there in 1607 just after Jamestown. There are plenty of places to camp along Rt 1. Camden is very nice and Camden State Park is a nice little state park. Camden is pretty much a tourist town but lots of fun. If you are into hiking at all you can hike up the trail from the state park to maiden cliffs for an awesome view of Camden and the harbor. Continuing north, Bucksport has an awesome bridge with a viewing tower with breath taking views. There is also a Civil War Fort called Fort Knox which is a fun place to visit. Next is Ellsworth which is the gateway to Acadia National Park which is a must see but don't miss Northern Acadia Park which is near Winter Harbor. Many tourists miss this area and it's one of the prettiest parts of the park. There is a new campgrounds there in Winter Harbor near Fraziers Point that was just built a few years ago. Schodic Point has awesome views of Frenchmen's Bay and Cadillac Mountain. If you continue along Rt1 there is a campgound in Harrington called Sunset Campgounds which is very nice too. Just north of Lubec is Roosevelt Campobello International Park where FDR used to summer. You can follow Rt 1 right into New Brunswick thru Calais. If you go into Canada don't miss Fundy National Park and take a trip to Hopewell Cape to see the giant flower pots but go at low tide. The tide here is one of the largest in the world and the natural flower pot rock formations are awesome! Hope you have an awesome trip. If you have anymore questions about Maine msg me as I lived in Maine for over 30 years.
Jack & Peg
USN Ret AGC
K1ZMB
Patrick AFB
2017 Coachmen Leprechaun

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
In Connecticut, there is Mystic Seaport. Also, if possible get up to see Gillete Castle State Park - very cool, and also near Goodspeed Opera House. There are private campgrounds in the area.

Also, Hammonasset State Park is right on the water... but the few hookup spots may already be booked. Otherwise there are water faucets available to fill your water tank, but it is no hookups.

Virtually every Connecticut town will have a historical society, houses dating back to before the USA was the USA, and various historical monuments and things to check out if you want a lot of colonial history.

Upstate New York has been talked about - if you get up near Lake George, I highly recommend Fort Ticonderoga at the northern end. If you are into colonial history it is a "must see".