cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas State Parks

355spider
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking into getting a fifth wheel for our family of 6 so we'd like a fairly good sized one but I'm concerned about what's allowed in Texas state and national parks. Can't find much info on the web. Anyone have experience? Thanks so much.
24 REPLIES 24

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
What I have found over the years camping at texas state parks, is that if the campground has 50amp pull through sites, it will accommodate the larger rigs.

A friend of mine has a 43ft 5fer with an AC over the front bedroom that has no problems getting in any texas state parks pull throughs. However he does worry about the low hanging branches and trees going down some back roads with his rig
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
355spider wrote:
I'm looking into getting a fifth wheel for our family of 6 so we'd like a fairly good sized one but I'm concerned about what's allowed in Texas state and national parks. Can't find much info on the web. Anyone have experience? Thanks so much.
If I had a family of 6, I would first rent a Cruise America Class C motorhome for a long weekend or one week trip before I would buy anything. That will give you a much better idea of how that big family likes spending days in a pretty tight space with only one bathroom. You will really learn how much you like converting sofas and/or dinettes into beds and vice versa twice a day; how easy it is to cook for that large a group in a typical RV kitchen; how much time you actually spend in the RV vs. outside hiking, swimming, boating, sightseeing, or whatever it is your family likes to do on vacation; how much time the kids actually spend doing something besides text and play games on their cell phones; how much the kids complain about not being at home/not seeing their friends; etc. That will give the "baseline data" you need to make an intelligent decision on buying an RV.

Based on that experience, you can visit manufacturer and dealer Websites for models, floorplans, absolute need vs. nice-to-have amenities, reviews by owners, and forums for each make and model you are interested in. You can also take the whole family to nearby RV shows where you can compare different models "side-by-side" with everyone seeing what bed they will sleep in, how they will all fit in the dinette, how they will be able to see the TV, and all the other factors that make one RV more "comfortable" than another. Only after doing all that on-line and RV show "prep work" would I go to an RV dealer because they are only there to sell RVs.

Just some free advice from someone who has been-there, done-that. But you know what they say about free advice!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that for most Texas state parks, you can reserve a site, but not a particular site. Choice of sites is first come, first served, so arriving ahead of a weekend is always a good idea in the more heavily used parks. Talk to the rangers at the park ahead of time about the number of sites that can handle the length of your rig. Tell them when you check in as well and they will try their best to get you in an appropriate length site. As others have said, some of the older parks may not have as many longer sites.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

355spider
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
The majority of folks don't write a review or make comments on these forums unless they have something to complain about. You rarely read one that starts off "I love my RV".

Yeah I realize that's pretty much what you find for reviews in the net. I'm a Toyota Land cruiser guy. I buy them because they are nearly bulletproof which is what nearly everyone says about them. I want the Landcruiser of RVs but I'm not sure it exists.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most state parks in Texas can handle large coaches. I would definitely call ahead though. Any Texas state park that is HUGE it should be fine though.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The majority of folks don't write a review or make comments on these forums unless they have something to complain about. You rarely read one that starts off "I love my RV".
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Pick your favorite place to eat and look them up for reviews, I bet more than a few people thought it was the worst place ever.

some folks can not be pleased, just go look at them and buy what you like, there is not a nickels difference in any of them if they have been taken care of.

If you are buying new chose a dealer close to home, once you get the first bug or 2 worked out you will be golden.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

355spider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks that helps a lot. Now if I could just find a manufacturer that doesn't get horrid reviews I'd buy one. I'm really starting to get cold feet though. Any good non biased review sites?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We easily got into many of Texas state parks with our 40' motorhome - other states, too, along with many national parks such as Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Big Bend, etc. etc. Also in many, many national forests campgrounds, Corp of Engineers, county and city parks throughout the country. We used public parks 95% of our stays.

Even a 30' RV will not fit in every park. Get the RV that you will be comfortable with and you'll have plenty of places to stay.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DKRITTER
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 40' 5th wheel and love Texas parks, if possible we stay at a state park when we travel. Since you're in Austin run over to McKinney Falls and check it out. (you can get a 20 minute pass for free)

We have the annual park pass which allows you not to pay the daily use fee. You'll find the older the park is the less likely it will accommodate a larger trailer.

If you have a 50amp hookup you'll also find you need to preplan a little more as they are in the minority of spaces.
2015 F350 CC SRW LB
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My last FR Product)
20,000lb Reese Goose Box

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to RV Parks forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
frizzen wrote:
Not all Texas State Parks have camping. Check the websites.

Good point...I just assumed everyone knew that.

There is an info site to get all the scoop on each park, and there is a reservation site where you put in the info for your equipment that will let you know if there is availability. Here are the links:

Info site

Reservation site

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
Ft. Parker State Park, is one to stay away if you are over 30 ft and that may be a stretch. Beautiful park, just no room and lots of copperhead snakes!
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Not all Texas State Parks have camping. Check the websites.
I need some wild