cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel WIFI to WIFI extender/booster

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am looking for a WIFI to WIFI extender/booster that is small enough for me to pack when I travel to get better and maybe more secure WIfI in a hotel room. I also expect to use it while traveling in my TT so would like to be able to get WIFI while outside the TT.

While I expect to travel with the booster, I will give up size to get grater range.

It would be nice if the booster had at least one wired LAN connection for a printer.

My budget is in the less than $50.00 range.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
9 REPLIES 9

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
AllegroD wrote:
Clicky

Thanks for the info. I learned a lot. But I am looking for a "travel" WIFI extender/booster to use in a hotel room.

I may do the item described in the link for my RV
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

MrWizard
Not quite
Unsecure means is not encrypted between you and the park access point
It means somebody with a sniffer, can monitor the Wi-Fi traffic
If they catch your signal they could possibly get your passwords etc when you input them to access your email etc..
It does not give then direct access to you pc
But it gives them info they can use to access your accounts
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Then buy a mifi device from either Verizon (best coverage) or AT&T (second best) coverage. Both will at least be a secure network. Remember hotels, RV park WIFI are all unsecure. Meaning if your on it, everything and I mean EVERYTHING on your device can be available to anyone else on the network to steal from you.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
Use your cell phone. Hotel wifi is open to anyone and everyone within range. Your only secure is a private wifi hotspot using your cell phone.

I do not have a smart phone. Only a flip cell phone for talking. I do not do texting. I use a laptop for the web. Maybe I am old fashion.

Travel Photos

MrWizard
That HooToo
Is an interesting little device
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I just use a $50 or so one from walmart that certainly could be tossed in a carry on bag/luggage/etc.
bumpy

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
More secure might mean using a VPN. Hotel or campground wifi is just that. I have a Hootoo I normally use in the towrig as a media server. It can also be used as a wifi to wifi repeater. I can also plug into a hard line a transmit/split to wifi. It's a nice universal gadget. The Hootoo range is great for a hotel room. Not so great for a residential house. Our home router died once. Used the Hootoo as backup until the new home router arrived.

$30 on Amazon

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Use your cell phone. Hotel wifi is open to anyone and everyone within range. Your only secure is a private wifi hotspot using your cell phone.