cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trading in

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
I have been full-timing for little over a year now. I am lucky enough that I traveled the country and got to see and experience things. I started my adventure in Florida and near the end, I ended up with a job in Seattle and absolutely love it up here. There are a few things I wished I did differently but over all, I am glad that I did it. Lately things have been changing where I am working at and I won't be making as much money as I am now. Staying at an park in the PNW is expensive, and even with the money I make now, I am breaking even right now with a little to put into savings.

Right now my situation is to move in with a friend, but I will be at a downtown apartment with a view in Tacoma, or downsize to a smaller RV and boondock. I am leaning toward the boondocking option since there is stuff I want to do here and places I want to stay for long weekends that does not allow Class A rv's. Also being stuck at a park sucks too.

If I downsize, I want to try to do this as debt free as possible, because that is my goal is to pay off everything that I owe right now. When I checked the NADA my low value on my rig was around 23k. I wish I could get a trade in value for the rig, but so far I am having no luck on that area. When I trade in, what should I expect from a dealer?
8 REPLIES 8

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Sell it outright. Get your $ rather than ripped off by a dealer.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the dealer will give you even the $15k as mentioned...I think you are probably looking at $10-12k. They may put a little into it and put it up for sale for $20k for a quick sale (showing it below book value). They make take a couple thousand less. Will still get them out with about $5k in their pocket...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice guys! I might just sell it out right and room with a friend, and just use that money to pay off bills. I really want to hit up some of the public lands around here, but from what I've been experiencing not much for urban boondocking other than Walmarts and home depot.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Always better to sell privately. Dealer will offer wholesale at best.
2013 ACE 29.2

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dealer is going to knock some off of low book for a trade. If you want the most $ then sell it, don't trade it and buy private party.
Dealer will give you even less (in general) if you're trading down because they don't stand to make much off your new purchase if you're not spending much.

It's spring time. Put that sucker on Craigslist and get it gone. Mooch off the friend til you find your replacement.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The R in RV stands for recreation and may not be the cheapest place to live. You may find the apartment a better place to save money.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend you try to sell it outright for the best price. Trade-ins give you nothing.

Find your place to boondock first. Do you mean moving your RV around town daily for a new parking spot? Or do you mean an actual boondocking spot on public land? It would be very difficult around that area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
15K if your lucky. Trade in is going to be low whosale at best.
Boondock? Where? Most boondock places if established camp grounds limit your stay to 14 days. Then you have to figure out water, power, dump each week at most. Now, boondocking within a hundred miles of SeaTac is next to impossible on a good day and probably downright dangerous on a bad day.