cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Savannah GA and Charleston SC campground and turs

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
We hope to stop in Savannah and Charleston on our way north early in April. We won't have a toad this time and wonder if folks have found cg's with tour bus stops near these cities. Many thanks.

Jim
10 REPLIES 10

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
To all who responded - a big thank you!

Jim

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you arrange with Red Gate for the trolley to pick you up. Now that we have a toad we wouldn't do that; we'd drive into town, park at a garage and take public buses everywhere.

We're doing something different this year, staying at Hardeeville and just taking the toad to town.
-jbh-

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like johnhicks states, Red Gate advertises that they have "Old Town Trolley pick up with tour". I assume that means you have to buy the tour in order to get picked up. I've never seen it there (been there twice), but we usually wake up make breakfast and leave for the day anyways.

Those are two GORGEOUS cities. We visit them every February on our way too and from Florida. You ought to have a great time there!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Davo7
Explorer
Explorer
Try Skidaway Island State Park, just outside of Savannah. Not sure of the trolley schedule there, but a small clean park with big sites. I've not been to Red Gate, but have heard it's a neat place as well. James island in Charleston is awesome. Safe travels!!!
2016 F350 SRW 6.7 4x4 FX4
2017 Solaire 316RLTS
2002 Jayco Eagle 300 (bought 8/04)(Sold!!)
Nervous wife
Beautiful 23 yr old Daughter
Spastic dog
A tremendous love for the outdoors.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
James Island is our choice when in Charleston. We've also used Oak Plantation CG but James Island is nicer.

As to Savannah - Skidaway Island State Park. Just take your time on interior roads, but a great CG.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Red Gate Farm in Savannah will arrange for the tour trolley to pick you up.
-jbh-

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I recall reading someone's comments that Charleston, SC is quite RV friendly and even has a parking garage that accommodates RV's. EDIT: Found it, read the italic below.

If you are retired military or DAV or DOD employee, etc. Joint Base Charlestown on the west side of the international airport has a RV campground.

Dolphin Cove Marina on the Ashley River just north of downtown says they are completing an RV park to be finished "early 2017" you might give them a call and find out the status of it. http://www.dolphincovemarina.net/

You can always get a Uber taxi into the old town area and then walk and use the trolley from there.

This Thread recommended the James Island campground and the KOA at Mt. Pleasant.

I'm going to quote bits and pieces from an RV specific forum I am a member of.............................. (don't want to get in trouble for not giving credit, but at the same time, it may just be better to disseminate the information.)

Parking in Charleston is easier than you think. On Mary St. just before the Visitors Center is a parking garage with a lot of RV spots inside. Yes, inside the whole first floor is RV parking. Last time I was there it was $10 for 24 hours and you can park overnight. It is a fairly long walk downtown, but easy biking (flat) or a few dollar cab ride. Once downtown, everything is walk-able on the peninsula.

Visitor Center Parking Garage on Google Maps.

Another option I have used several times is on Ashley Ave. near Moultrie Park - by the pond there is usually lots of empty spots and it is free. It is about 4 blocks from where Market terminates and an easy walk.

We have found several spots just by touring around. Can you park next to the market? Probably not. But we have parked on Battery and metered parking over by where the tours for Ft. Sumter depart,

Bottom line - we have never had a problem in Charleston as long as you are willing to walk a few blocks or ride a bike.

I don't know where you are staying, but James Island County park is a great park and a very short drive to downtown. Book ahead.

I used this parking garage and it worked great (stayed overnight at James Island Co Park). Part of what I wanted to do in Charleston was walk around and see the city and old homes by foot, anyways. There was plenty of parking available there and maneuvering was just fine.

the visitor center does have parking for RVs. Then there is a trolley bus that can get you around the city pretty much anyplace you want to go. The tourist plantations are outside the city and have lots of parking.

Hopes this helps. I haven't been and would like to go, and participating in a discussion like this helps me go back and locate material that will help me on a trip. (possibly I should set up folders or word files and store it that way.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Old Town Trolley. When we visited Savanah, they had shuttles that stopped at some of the RV Parks.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
James Island Co Park, outside of Charleston offers a trolley to the historic downtown district. I think it's seasonal, so you would have to call and see when it begins. It's a great park and only 10 minutes from downtown.

great place to spend a few days and downtown Charleston is great. I have not been to Savannah but want too.
have fun
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
James Island Co Park, outside of Charleston offers a trolley to the historic downtown district. I think it's seasonal, so you would have to call and see when it begins. It's a great park and only 10 minutes from downtown.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW