cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Southwind Generator runs just fine but no power

cbelize
Explorer
Explorer
Left for dry camping on Friday evening. Pre checks included running the generator and verifying all AC outlets worked. I even ran the AC for abut 5 mins. Low and behold once at the camp site needed to run the microwave for a couple mins, turned the generator on started up no issue. I looked at the main panel on the wall next to the bathroom, I see nothing happening on the panel. Normally a green LED light would move around in a clockwise motion and then I would hear a clicking at the main circuit breaker panel as it checks all the breakers, once that is done I would see the LED on the panel lit up next to 30 AM or 50. Well the generator started up but nothing was lit up on the panel.. it was dark, and no power no none of the AC outlets. So I started at the generator, ONAN 5500, reset the two 30 AMP breaker,, no change, I reset the breakers at the main circuit breaker panel in the bedroom, no change, I pulled and verified all 3 fuse at the inverter under the fridge, no change...I reset the GFI AC outlet in the bath room. no change.. so at this point I am out of options. Now back home, I hook up to shore power all works.. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. In addition to that the panel that show water levels, LP, Battery AUX and MAIN reading is completely dead.. no reading when the buttons are pushed... I appreciate your help.
17 REPLIES 17

cbelize
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see any sign of over heating, it actually looked very clean. I didn't tighten and screws as I wasn't sure what else to do.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Was there any sign of overheating (like melted insulation) in the ATS?

Did you tighten the screws securing the wire connections in the ATS? A VERY good idea once a year.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Was there any sign of overheating (like melted insulation) in the ATS?

Did you tighten the screws securing the wire connections in the ATS? A VERY good idea once a year.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

cbelize
Explorer
Explorer
so I found the transfer switch I the bedroom under the last chest of drawers. I uncovered it made sure all the power was off. Tapped the switches lightly, everything now works just fine. I can only say that it appears that the switch was stuck.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
clean the slip ring

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/slick-stick-polishing-tool-for-onan-other-slip-rings-p-435.html

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
cbelize wrote:
can you tell me where the transfer switch is please?

Mine is located in the driver's side rear basement bin. Trace the shore power cord. It should terminate into the transfer switch.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

rv_bear
Explorer
Explorer
on our 2004 southwind the transfer box is behind the breaker panel and before I changed the old tv you had to remove it, to get at the excess panel . because the breaker panel is on the wall beside of tv.

rv_bear
Explorer
Explorer
on our 2004 southwind the transfer box is behind the breaker panel and before I changed the old tv you had to remove it, to get at the excess panel . because the breaker panel is on the wall beside of it.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
It might be under a drawer in the bedroom. Pull the bottom drawers out and look behind them.

cbelize
Explorer
Explorer

cbelize
Explorer
Explorer

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Can you locate the transfer switch? Both shore power and genset power will merge there. Take the cover off the box, leave the shoreline unplugged and crank the genset. Being careful not to electrocute yourself....you can use a meter to test if the genset is putting out voltage at that point. If you get voltage at the transfer switch, then most likely your switch is not engaging and transferring the power from the genset to the house.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem a few years ago. It turn out to be the voltage regulator.

cbelize
Explorer
Explorer
thanks gang for your responses. I flipped the 2 breakers at the generator about 10 times since Friday no change. Theres no shore power cord for the generator. No outlets on the generator itself for testing.