cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1998 Class C Super Duty

bradr1911
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at purchasing a 1998 Santara 30ft Coachman Super Duty. It looks to be in good shape with 60000+ miles. Not sure if the price is reasonable though at $10,000.00. This will be our first RV, used with light travel to begin with. Looking for opinions or any experience with this model. Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

bradr1911
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies. We are going to look it over this Friday.
We did see what look like delamination or bubbles under the window, but the owner says it's just the photos and there's never been a leak. Not sure about that. If there are any leaks we won't consider it. As much as I like the looks, I don't want to put a ton of money into repairs. Unfortunately, I am not very "handy".

My wife found a 96 Dutch Star by Newmar she's interested in. A class A might be a better option for us anyway as we'll be living in it until this Fall.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Brad,

I did not read through everyone's comments and replies. I did see that you wrote the rig was stored indoors all it's life. A rig stored that way is well worth the extra $4000. Under the assumption everything is in good order and the floorplan meets your needs, I would "Go For It". Keep in-mind that it will likely leak rain water, if not right away, then after your next trip. Make sure you go over the rig and seal up all questionable seams and such using the right products, for the brand and model is known to leak at that age.

ADDING LATER:
After looking at the rig on CL, the seamwork appears concerning. If there is any mold or mildew smell inside, I would not buy it.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to rest drive it and have your partner drive it as well. We decided to get a smaller MH after a test drive of a 26 footer.
If it drives well (find a hill to go up) the Ford part of it is probably okay.

Our 1992 GM 2500 needed a heater core, alternator, and water pump about 5 years ago with something like that mileage. At the time I wondered if it was worth it and did the work myself or bartered with a mechanic friend. However, there was no further trouble until this winter when it got a nasty noise when working hard and cold. I put new spark plugs, wires and distributor cap into it, which restored its full power but the noise persisted. I feared for the transmission but a new muffler fixed it right up. It is a pleasure to drive now! I'm sure a 1998 working well will last another decade at least.

You can probably fix anything wrong with the house if you are handy. Other than water leak damage. X2 on the pressure check and fix any leaks very well very soon after buying.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll be blunt. It is too old. It has water damage. Run away.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I found the ad and looking at the pictures, things that caught my eye
pic 2 - front over cab window has seal pulled away from driver side lower corner, looks like a bubble in the surface near the window - possible water damage
pic 3 - hard to tell because of light angle but some possible delam under rear window, damage above clearance light
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

bradr1911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give it another look. My wife is hedging somewhat on the price, but this is what I was looing for if its in good shape.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
that's about what we paid for our 98 lazy daze last summer. It has been sitting around for a while, so it needed some work, but about normal price for around here. even '98 models are running more than that around here. any less the rigs were in need of some severe update/repairs
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The E-Super Duty marked the beginning of the E-450 that we're all familiar with. The V10 engine 1997-1999 was 275-HP. Some owners had trouble with spark plug thread failure, mostly after changing the plugs.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also be concerned about the hours on the generator not having ENOUGH if they only used it 1-2 times per year. There should be a MINIMUM of 230 hours on the generator (that's only 12 hours per year, 460 hours is better). You want the hours to keep the moisture out of the windings of the generator and also to help minimize varnish in the carb on the engine.

If they don't have the hours, you'll want to get a good mechanic to look over the generator to make sure the engine and generator are in good working order. That's a $3-4k replacement if it's not in good shape for a new one.

I'd also just plan on a major service for the chassis with all oil, brake fluid and coolant replacements, especially if there are not very many service records. That stuff does degrade with limited use or even just sitting.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

bradr1911
Explorer
Explorer
Its on Craigslist, this is the copy & paste title for the St. Louis area. It wont let me post the link.

1998 Coachman Motorhome for Sale - Great Condition - $10000 (Freeburg, IL)

***Link Removed***

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
See if you can post some pictures of it. I often think people should do that here if they want to know if it's a good deal or not. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Consider having the rig pressure tested (cost about $100 or so)- that should identify all the potential sources of leak. Also - determine the age of the tires - RV tires often deteriorate from the inside/out so exterior looks don't always tell you the whole story. Also - rig hasn't been used much so make sure the chassis air conditioning system works (like your car if it's not used the seals dry out).
Kevin

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You know the prices in your area better than most of us would. Around here, $10K would be a good price and a quick sale if it's in good, clean, solid shape.

I have a '98 Coachmen Santara 315QB on the same E-SuperDuty chassis, and I've generally been happy with it so far. Do check carefully for water damage (which is fortunately less likely when it's been stored indoors) and inspect all the caulking and seams, particularly around the roof and cabover structure, and touch up or redo any that are questionable. Also check the date codes on the tires; if they're over about seven years old, they should be replaced or at the least inspected by a qualified person (which generally involves unmounting them and checking the insides as well as the outsides). It cost me about $1000 to replace six tires at a local tire shop, keeping one of the old ones for the spare.

While obviously built to a price point, with cabinetry that isn't fancy and occasional minor fit and finish imperfections and so forth, I've found the design of mine to be pretty well thought through--with reasonable access provided to systems and valves and stuff--and the electrical and plumbing and mechanical systems constructed and installed in a satisfactorily workmanlike manner.

(For what it's worth, the E-SuperDuty was renamed to be the E-450 in later years, and often parts store databases and so forth only have the latter designation listed.)

bradr1911
Explorer
Explorer
The price does concern me. NADA shows between $6k - $7k. He has all maintenance records and it appears to be well taken care of, said also stored in a climate controlled shelter when not being used.
1998 Coachman Santara Motorhome
?Add: Priced to sell / $10,000
? Only used 1-2 times/year
Always stored indoors
? 30 ft Ford Super Duty 10 Cylinder
? 60k miles
? Tires low mileage with good tread
? Onan generator -- microlite 4000
? Refrigerator electric and gas
? Hot water heater -- 6 gal
? Cruise Control / Tilt steering wheel
? Shower / Tub / Toilet
? 16 ft awning
Sleeps 8
? Sleeper sofa
? Kitchen table/booth turns into bed
? Master bed Queen size w/lots of storage (closet each side of bed and above bed)
Over the cab Full Size bed
? New microwave
Rear Ladder with top storage