cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The never ending debate..SRW vs DRW

svt440
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been reading for days about this and have read mixed reviews on the topic all of which don't directly relate to my situation so I thought'd I'd ask someone with some experience towing.

I just bought my 2014 Rockwood 8289ws which is 8408lbs dry, with a GVWR of 9878lbs. Currently I tow it with a 2003 2500HD Duramax. The truck is a short bed, extended cab, so about as short as one can get. It handles fine when its not windy at 70mph, but in turn on a windy day it makes me a bit nervous. To answer the question, is the fifth wheel set up properly and weight distributed properly? Yes. And please don't say I shouldn't be towing over 65mph. I know I know. I just feel like the fifth wheel owns the truck when I'm driving, and I don't like that feeling.

At the moment I'm considering a dually. Overkill? Most would say yes. But I like the idea of being "over trucked". I like being able to sit back for ten hours and cruise and not have to constantly be paying attention behind me.

That being said, I hate the idea of a dually. 6 tires, worse fuel mileage, and wider. I'd really love to go with a SRW because I love the way a four door long bed SRW looks, amongst other benefits. Regardless I'll do a 1 ton truck, and regardless it'll be a long bed four door (I just feel the longer wheel base is best). Just can't decide if I want a SRW or DRW. If its true that I'll notice zero difference in stability because my fifth wheel is so light, then I'll go SRW. But if a windy day comes and I will in fact notice a difference between the two and feel better with a dually with a 9000lb fifth wheel, then I want to go dually. I'll sacrifice 2mpg for comfort and stability.

Everything I've read is on 13,000lb and up fifth wheels. Sure a DRW is the way to go in that case, but at under 10,000lbs, I'm wondering if I'll benefit at all with DRW.

Last note, the truck is not a daily driver. Its only purpose is camping. I'm not retired, and wont be for about 35 more years lol, so I don't camp all the time. I'm making a couple large trips this summer however, and planning on a few two week 'out west' trips next year, as well as the years to follow, so I want a comfortable truck since I'm spending the money! Also I live out in the country so a dually is more than manageable plus I've grown up operating large machinery.

Hoping to hear that I wont feel a difference between the two given the fifth wheel I have, but I'm afraid thats not true. Thanks guys!
88 REPLIES 88

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
In case you Dodge and GM folks feel left out of this super single thing...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Bedlam
A wider track helps stability once you get to the limits of your body roll. If you are towing at the limits of your body roll, you have other things to worry about.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly humorous... :R

Notch it up a bit for a bigger picture instead of a micro vision and take a look at them from the rear...a SRW and Dually

Which has fender flares because their track is wider than the body... :S

For you SRW folks, consider this or dually folks who wish to be a SRW person... :B

But...think folks would argue over this one's actual track and if makes a difference... :R

Will say that this super single will have better 'ride quality' over a true dually... :C
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The axle itself on a dually is a bit shorter, but yes, the wider wheel base makes it more stable or effectively longer. I may not have been clear in my post above, but I was only pointing out that the truck body rolls or pivots at the same distance from centerline (spring perches).
No argument a dually is more stable. Just that whatever is going on from the axle up is the same as a srw.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Two sidewalls per tire give you eight sidewalls.

I will argue the wider track does not do as much for stability because the frame is not hard mounted to the axle. The width of the suspension is the same on a SRW and DRW. It will help tracking if the rear width of the truck matches the trailer.

The DRW's stability advantage is due to stiffer sidewalls by having twice the number of tires and typically heavier suspension components. If you put stiffer sidewall tires and suspension on a SRW, you will see stability also increased.

^This.
In laymans terms, a dually is a ready equipped machine. A srw truck takes a bit of work to get more stability and load carrying capacity.
The important point a lot of the weight cops on here seem to ignore is, in general, 2500 through 3500 drw trucks are the same chassis, with more or less spring capacity and more or less tires.
Vehicle body roll is centered around the spring mounting locations. Those are the pivot points and that does not change with a dually.

THe dually axle is essentially longer because it has another hub on both ends. This is where the stability comes from. Think of outriggers on a boat. Same idea.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:

I will argue the wider track does not do as much for stability because the frame is not hard mounted to the axle. The width of the suspension is the same on a SRW and DRW. It will help tracking if the rear width of the truck matches the trailer.

The DRW's stability advantage is due to stiffer sidewalls by having twice the number of tires and typically heavier suspension components. If you put stiffer sidewall tires and suspension on a SRW, you will see stability also increased.

^This.
In laymans terms, a dually is a ready equipped machine. A srw truck takes a bit of work to get more stability and load carrying capacity.
The important point a lot of the weight cops on here seem to ignore is, in general, 2500 through 3500 drw trucks are the same chassis, with more or less spring capacity and more or less tires.
Vehicle body roll is centered around the spring mounting locations. Those are the pivot points and that does not change with a dually.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Regardless of the attachment method the added width will increase stability. Imagine a bike with training wheels. Move those training wheels inward they have less effect. Spread them wider and the bike becomes harder to tip over.
While the frame is not hard mounted to the axle, the axle does not flex. The suspension will eventually hit a stop.
On a dually the suspension/axle is wider than the frame producing stability.

Sorry but, if you are in a situation to where you have enough roll to hit the stops on the suspension SRW or DRW you have a lot more to worry about than not having training wheels.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It would seem that we were talking at cross purposes, and I've misunderstood you. I thought you were saying the only time a dually is better is if you need the payload that a dually offers over a SRW.

I think you're right. The debate always cracks me up. I'm a SRW guy. But I would never disagree that duallys are more stable and offer more payload.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^Ah, there's one in every crowd. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Last time I checked there were two (2) sidewalls per tire. ๐Ÿ™‚

A dually has 12 sidewalls...not 8
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:

Regardless of the attachment method the added width will increase stability. Imagine a bike with training wheels. Move those training wheels inward they have less effect. Spread them wider and the bike becomes harder to tip over.
While the frame is not hard mounted to the axle, the axle does not flex. The suspension will eventually hit a stop.
On a dually the suspension/axle is wider than the frame producing stability.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last time I checked there were two (2) sidewalls per tire. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
BenK wrote:

Single will have FOUR 10 ply (or more) rated sidewalls

Dually will have EIGHT 10 ply (or more) rated sidewalls

When did duallys start coming with 8 tires??