cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indiana/Illinois to Sioux Falls SD route

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
I would appreciate hearing your route experience...

Leaving Goshen, IND. on wednesday May 24th.
heading to Mount Rushmore and then Yellowstone (June 7) & Grand Tetons (june 15).

What route would you recommend from Joliet, IL to Sioux Falls, SD ?

80/680 west to Missouri valley north on 29
or
80 to Des Moines - north on 35 to 90

OR OTHERS?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went from Central IL and went 80//680/29 into Sioux Falls.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have been going to Rapid City from southern Indy since '78 and we use 80/680, 29,90 often. Sometimes we go thru Wisc. and over to 90 then west. The truck traffic everyone complains about is no worst than 65 from Indy to Louisville, which I think is real nuts, but I can not avoid it going north from our house. Just life. Enjoy your trip. We are headed that way in Sept. then south to N.M.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Iowa has more food stops, gas stations and traffic (lots of trucks). The traffic improves once you get past Des Moines. Southern Minnesota has very few places for food or fuel. If you go through Adair, IA you can see the Smiley Face Water Tower. 🙂
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Alternate route for your consideration.

I80 west to Iowa City, I380 North to Waterloo, Route 218 north to route 18 west to I35 to I90 at Albert Lee. All divided highway, less trucks than I80. Routes 218 and 18 are a pleasant relaxing drive through farm country.

We have used this route several times coming east from the Winnebago factory in Forest City IA. If you are interested, get off I90 at Blue Earth and drive a mile or two south to see the Green Giant statue.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

JimVan
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken the 80 to 680 to 29 north several times and plan to take it this May. I Like this route and feel it is preferred .
Jim & Vanessia
Winnebago Minnie 2500 rls
2015 Silverado 4x4