cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LT E 10ply PSI ???

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
I just swapped out my winter p rated wheels for another set that came with GY Duratrac 10ply. So what are ppl running for PSI for daily use? After some reading I started at 42psi. Thoughts...

Thx
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL
14 REPLIES 14

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

But you'd keep your fillings in your teeth! 80psi unladen on the back tires of ANY pickup is torture. May as well put flint stone wheels on!

Torture? Seriously, even the wife doesn't complain with the 80psi rears. But we have a cap, and the 8' bed of the truck is always loaded with gear, so maybe that helps. And the RAM 2500 does have rear coils ...

I call the ride with 80psi LT-Es "crisp", and only really notice them when hitting bad potholes. So maybe the roads are better where we drive?

And besides, since we're pretty much always travelling on and off with the trailer, a week here, 2 weeks there, raising and lowering tire pressures would get old pretty fast. And with a RAM 2500, I'd have the TPMS blinking at me much of the time too.

Funny, some folks hate the HD ride but love a Cummin's noise. We don't mind the ride, but would prefer less noise!
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
brulaz wrote:
Atlee wrote:
The door sticker on my F150 says 55 psi in front and 65 psi in rear. My OEM tires are LT245/75R17 LRE.

I haven't found the need to change then when towing. It pulls my relatively light weight (4990 gvwr) trailer just fine.

These pressures are Ford's recommendation, and what I used when I upgraded from the Ps to LT-E Michelin LTX MS/2s on my 2011 F150. The tires wore evenly and well, with the usual tire rotations, until I sold the truck.

You get used to the crisper ride. Am currently running 60/80 on the new HD truck. If I went back to a softer tire I'd probably think something was wrong.

But you'd keep your fillings in your teeth! 80psi unladen on the back tires of ANY pickup is torture. May as well put flint stone wheels on!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
Go by the door sticker. Air up for towing. You're going to think it's a different truck when you do tow.

Keep in mind that the door sticker give the tire pressure for MAXIMUM GAWR/GVWR. If you are not at or near maximum weight, you might want to reduce the pressure for best tire life.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
The door sticker on my F150 says 55 psi in front and 65 psi in rear. My OEM tires are LT245/75R17 LRE.

I haven't found the need to change then when towing. It pulls my relatively light weight (4990 gvwr) trailer just fine.

These pressures are Ford's recommendation, and what I used when I upgraded from the Ps to LT-E Michelin LTX MS/2s on my 2011 F150. The tires wore evenly and well, with the usual tire rotations, until I sold the truck.

You get used to the crisper ride. Am currently running 60/80 on the new HD truck. If I went back to a softer tire I'd probably think something was wrong.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Run them about the same as you would the P tires. They'll ride a little stiffer, but it's the air holding your truck up not the tires.
40 front/ 35 rear is a good start. Lower in the mud or snow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Go by the door sticker. Air up for towing. You're going to think it's a different truck when you do tow.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Are tires now a days (marked on the side wall) how many ever plies??

I am over 7 decades old but have progressed to the load range rating.

you folks confuse me with all that ply stuff. :h

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
E rated tires on a 1/2 ton?? I think Id be running 35-40psi max unless towing a heavy load. Once you tow then bump them up.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Better than the sidewall (which is max pressure, and will be a hard ride on a half ton), download the weight rating chart from GY. Know your axle weights, and air your tires to meet or exceed that weight. Scale your weights with and without trailer, so you know your towing and empty pressures... or just aim for the higher of the two.

too much pressure results in less than optimal tread <> surface contact, and will lead to uneven wear, just as bad as too little pressure. for example, center tread balding before the edge tread.

There is the best answer I have seen!
The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon used to come from the factory with LT Load Range E tires. The recommended tire pressure was 33 PSI front and rear. When going off road, we would air down to 12 to 15 PSI.
If in doubt about the load charts, do the "Chalk Test".
Go to a hard surface parking lot. Make a series of chalk marks (sidewalk chalk works great) across the tread of your tires. Drive as far as you can, preferably in a straight line. Inspect the chalk marks.
If the marks are worn mostly in the middle of the tread, the TP is too high. Reduce it and try again.
If the marks are worn mostly on the edges of the tread, the TP is too low. Increase it and try again.
If the marks are worn evenly across the tread, the Tire Pressure is just right.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Better than the sidewall (which is max pressure, and will be a hard ride on a half ton), download the weight rating chart from GY. Know your axle weights, and air your tires to meet or exceed that weight. Scale your weights with and without trailer, so you know your towing and empty pressures... or just aim for the higher of the two.

too much pressure results in less than optimal tread <> surface contact, and will lead to uneven wear, just as bad as too little pressure. for example, center tread balding before the edge tread.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Tankcar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Look at the side wall it will give you the tire pressure (cold). You can lower it as required.

'

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I had 10 ply GY Silent Armor Pro on my old half ton, door sticker said 42 and the ride seemed good.

When towing, I'd run the rears up to 60, it made a noticeable difference just towing my small trailer.

Wasn't impressed with the tread life, these were factory tires. They were shot at 30,000 miles.

Door sticker on my new 2500 says 80 rear, 70 front, still a 10 ply tire. Computer won't let me run them low when I'm empty, it constantly hounds me about tire pressure if I air down.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My had a '90 model 2500 chevy 5.7 extended cab/long bed that the axles weighed about like the new gen 1/2 ton trucks.
I kept OEM LT245/75-16 E on it and ran 35 psi in the rear and 55 psi in the front when empty which worked out the best long term milage for the trucks axle weights.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides