cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Phone Guru's? question

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
After my Samsung S7 (Verizon) noted that an update was available, I proceeded to install the update from Android 6 to Android 7 this past weekend.. less than normal results.. Lost WiFi functionality and several other things wouldn't work. On line Verizon Support Chat tried a few things to no-avail and then told me to reset the phone to factory condition after he validated that it had been backed up. UGH.. The phone wouldn't even do a reset..so I went to the local Verizon dealer. The help there was excellent and after again verifying that my phone had been backed up to Verizon Cloud just prior to the first attempted update she was able to reset the phone. After resetting and getting WiFi back all my data less user installed apps was restored from the cloud..QUESTION.. after doing factory reset, the phone now has the new Android 7 (Nougat) installed instead of Andoid 6 that was in it when new. I don't understand this.. The apps that came with the reset (mail and messaging) are totally different than I had before.. icons and format don't even look the same.. Is this normal after a reset and apparent software update? As a side note.. The Verizon store was telling customers not to update their S7 phones to Android 7 as they had several complaints about it already.. wait a few weeks to do it...
7 REPLIES 7

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
snipe:
DD716TED wrote:
QUESTION.. after doing factory reset, the phone now has the new Android 7 (Nougat) installed instead of Andoid 6 that was in it when new. I don't understand this.. The apps that came with the reset (mail and messaging) are totally different than I had before.. icons and format don't even look the same.. Is this normal after a reset and apparent software update?

Yes, this is normal.

For the record, I find it hard to believe reps at a Verizon store would say not to update to Nougat. Nougat is quite stable and most users of same would tell you that there move to Nougat was a positive move for them.

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
As for the icons with Nougat looking different.... In your S7 settings, go to DISPLAY and there under "Icon frames" select the choice "Icons only". Do this and your icons will look the way they did.

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated, this is normal when doing an upgrade of an existing OS and all of its apps, data and settings. Some apps may not work with the new OS and others will be different in color or the way they are displayed, especially the native apps. This is why a full backup is always recommended prior to doing an update.

The other option is to install the update as new and install apps and data afterwards on a pristine OS.

I have read some horror stories about the Nougat update... as an AT&T user, my S7 Edge has the Nougat update available but I have not been prompted for it since I switch back and forth between an iPhone 7 and the Edge and I am not current on my Android security patch level (still on October 2016.) I have also heard that some Best Buy stores with the Samsung experience will allow you to flash your phone to get it up to date prior to the Nougat update.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I upgraded to Nougat with great results.

The app icons do look a little different. Your phone may have downloaded old apps from a previous phone? The cloud may have thought they were still current.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
New OS means a lot of new and different things. It the way of updates. BTW for those Apple folks that might read this, be aware before you do the next update. The OS is totally different and your likely to loose stuff unless you do a full cloud backup.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Yes some of the Screens/Apps look different. Normal...

Same for me but I'm on AT&T.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad