cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NC DMV safety inspection on class A DP

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, does anyone know of a place where I can get my Class A DP inspected in the Raleigh NC area? Please don't say CW or Carolina Freight liner in Raleigh. It is getting harder and harder to find a competent place to just do a simple DMV inspection.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters
14 REPLIES 14

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last inspection I had done on my bus..the dude looked at the registration and put the sticker on! He couldn't have even started the engine, because he didn't even have the keys.

I prefer that the the typical shakedown.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a motorhome in Tennessee and registered it in NC the day the computerized Inspection was introduced in 2007. Shops had to make a significant investment in the computer gear to do it and most truck shops didn't do enough motorhomes to bother. Even the truck shops weren't doing motorhome inspections then and many had turned in their license to do motorhomes. IIRC the NC inspection was similar to the federal truck inspection and so the only places initially qualified were those already qualified to do Federal Highway truck inspections. I couldn't find any of those who would do a motorhome, but a fellow forum member advised me to try the RV dealer in Hendersonville, NC. Took Monday to Wednesday night to find that out but I called them Wednesday and got an appointment for Thursday morning at 8. He did the inspection while I was in the store paying so I've always suspected the depth of inspection, but NC and I had our paper work and I'd done an inspection myself before purchase and knew all was well......

I sold that rig to a guy who made me an offer I couldn't refuse in January 08 and the next rig I registered in Nova Scotia, so that's my only experience with NC inspections.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
cwdavis wrote:
X2 on Piedmont Truck Tire. I've used them for basic chassis/engine service for a few years, as well as the state inspection, and they run a 1st class shop with 2 really good truck mechanics.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try Blacks Tire first. But there is always the next year. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll put Piedmont Truck Tire on my list. The power of the internet it a great thing!

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
FlintlockCG wrote:
" It is more about money for the state. " Actually it is money for the service station guys.

In 2009 there was proposed legislation to eliminate inspections in NC and the bill was killed by various trade organizations- The Independent Garage Owners of NC, The Automotive Service Association, and the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association, etc. Lobbyists all-

That, really surprises me.

Every shop I talk to about it (as well as friends I know that own service shops), every one of them HATES state inspections with a passion and wish they didn't have to do them. I know a few that quit doing inspections altogether because they are such a pain, and since the state mandates what they can charge for such, they make almost no money on them.

Will

Will,

That is sooooooo true. I have a shop that does all my 4 wheel vehicle inspections and he tells me the same thing. I try to never get him on the subject cause if I do.... I know I will be hanging around for a long time hearing him b***h about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
FlintlockCG wrote:
" It is more about money for the state. " Actually it is money for the service station guys.

In 2009 there was proposed legislation to eliminate inspections in NC and the bill was killed by various trade organizations- The Independent Garage Owners of NC, The Automotive Service Association, and the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association, etc. Lobbyists all-

That, really surprises me.

Every shop I talk to about it (as well as friends I know that own service shops), every one of them HATES state inspections with a passion and wish they didn't have to do them. I know a few that quit doing inspections altogether because they are such a pain, and since the state mandates what they can charge for such, they make almost no money on them.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Piedmont Truck Tire. I've used them for basic chassis/engine service for a few years, as well as the state inspection, and they run a 1st class shop with 2 really good truck mechanics.
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

FlintlockCG
Explorer
Explorer

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Can't really give you any specific place to take it to, but must say as a fellow NC resident, I understand this frustration and must deal with it, too.

Very few places want to deal with state inspections for our big rigs, because there is so little $$ in it, and to do it right (NCDMV technically requires it to be put on a lift) requires very expensive equipment that only big truck shops will have. Sooo, you have to find someone that has the lift, equipment to lift these rigs, or is willing to just sign off on the inspection without actually lifting it.

Last year, I took it to a Camping World that has the huge lifts, regulary works on the big rigs. Guess what?! They didn't even put it on the lift, they just did the quick safety inspection, signed it off and sent me on my way! Nobody I've ever taken it to for inspection, whether they have the lift or not, actually will put it on a lift like they are supposed to. They just sign it off, haha.

All I can tell you is, call around to various places like the ones already suggested, tell them what you have, see if they will do the inspection. Thats what I did. I eventually found one or two RV dealers fairly close that will do it. There's only one Ford dealer around here that will do it (my MH is on a Ford F53 chassis), but they're 45 minutes away. Found two RV dealers considerably closer than that who will do it, thats who I take it to.

When I took it to CW last year, they used the on-board jacks to lift the tires off the ground. Technically to satisfy the NC DMV inspection that covers that requirement. But an inspection is not for the safety of the people. It is more about money for the state.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't really give you any specific place to take it to, but must say as a fellow NC resident, I understand this frustration and must deal with it, too.

Very few places want to deal with state inspections for our big rigs, because there is so little $$ in it, and to do it right (NCDMV technically requires it to be put on a lift) requires very expensive equipment that only big truck shops will have. Sooo, you have to find someone that has the lift, equipment to lift these rigs, or is willing to just sign off on the inspection without actually lifting it.

Last year, I took it to a Camping World that has the huge lifts, regulary works on the big rigs. Guess what?! They didn't even put it on the lift, they just did the quick safety inspection, signed it off and sent me on my way! Nobody I've ever taken it to for inspection, whether they have the lift or not, actually will put it on a lift like they are supposed to. They just sign it off, haha.

All I can tell you is, call around to various places like the ones already suggested, tell them what you have, see if they will do the inspection. Thats what I did. I eventually found one or two RV dealers fairly close that will do it. There's only one Ford dealer around here that will do it (my MH is on a Ford F53 chassis), but they're 45 minutes away. Found two RV dealers considerably closer than that who will do it, thats who I take it to.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
BTY, I have tried to call camping world 6 different times in the past 3 days. I can get sales, but no one in service will pick up phone. I know even if they did answer, I'd have to schedule an appointment. I did this routine last year with them and even after making an appointment, I had to wait over an hour just for them to get to it.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Livies Dad wrote:
Heres another, Blacks tire & auto 4261 capital blvd, 919-301-0519.
This is their commercial store as well. Parking lot looks large.

I use Blacks here in Indian Trail for my tire needs and repairs on RV.

Thanks for the info. I actually thought about them too as I have purchased tires there before. But I just called and gentleman just said bring it in anytime and they'd fit it in. So, i think I have a winner!

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Heres another, Blacks tire & auto 4261 capital blvd, 919-301-0519.
This is their commercial store as well. Parking lot looks large.

I use Blacks here in Indian Trail for my tire needs and repairs on RV.

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Try Piedmont Truck Tire, 6125 Westgate Rd, 919 781 6563
Their ad says they do auto & truck repairs and state inspections.
Doing work on large trucks they should have lots of room for your RV.

I use a car & truck tire store here. They have replaced my brakes as well as new tires and alignment and oil changes. I figure if they work on dump trucks , fire trucks, and tractor trailers, they can do
mechanical work on my RV.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
If the DMV requires it, don't THEY have a list of approved inspectors ???
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"