cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many days for Yellowstone

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the old thread info, and I'm making decisions on all the input I received.
Going up from the south, and out through Cody.

I have booked 3 nights at Colter Bay RV (5/15) to see the Tetons, and not sure wether to go to Fishing Bridge, or West Yellowstone next.

How may days should I book to cover it pretty good, I retired so time doesn't matter except I want to get out before the big crowds get there.

I do have a senior pass that would save on NP's, but they only have elect at most of them.
28 REPLIES 28

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fishing Bridge has trees. I've seen worse private RV parks throughout the country with no trees.

Yes there are some rough ones, I pulled into one in Gatlinburg that yelp had 3 stars on, and it looked like a drug headquarters, and made a u turn quick.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
Thanks Matt, Sounds like a good plan, and I definitely want to dry camp at some nice wooded campgrounds. I've heard FB is just a parking lot, so I'm only staying there 3 days.

Fishing Bridge has trees. I've seen worse private RV parks throughout the country with no trees.

http://www.yellowstone.co/maps/fishingbridge.htm

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodging/camping/fishing-bridge-rv-park/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week in '82. Could have stayed longer, but vacation time was up.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Matt, Sounds like a good plan, and I definitely want to dry camp at some nice wooded campgrounds. I've heard FB is just a parking lot, so I'm only staying there 3 days.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 'pawatt'. Also do not calculate drive time by mileage indicated on brochure. There is no '..average drive time..'. Bear Jams can stop you in your tracks. Have had a herd of buffalo stop us for better part of an hour ~ only to get caught by more of he herd a mile or 2 down the road. they usually meander down the center of the road en masse or single file & and no way around them.

JM2ยข

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
7 days. Go there before Tetons not after. Stay in the center of the park (advantage - Fishing Bridge). Do a figure 8 pattern. There are plenty of campsites. Consider dry for scenery for at least part.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have actually thought about being volunteers, but this first trip is just two weeks there plus driving time.
We are staying at several campgrounds, thanks to all the advice here, and plan on getting there May 15.

Totendatrailer
Explorer
Explorer
Volunteer, stay the summer! And it still won't be enough time.
Bill & Cheryl
Gypsy & Nu cat
2007.5 GMC 2500 D/A
2014 Primetime Crusader 325RES.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
3-4 weeks would be a good start.
pawatt

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:

Thanks for the old thread info, and I'm making decisions on all the input I received.

Going up from the south, and out through Cody.

I have booked 3 nights at Colter Bay RV (5/15)

to see the Tetons, and not sure wether to go to

Fishing Bridge, or

West Yellowstone next.

How many days should I book to cover it pretty good,

I retired so time doesn't matter except

I want to get out before the big crowds get there.

I do have a senior pass that would save on NP's,

but they only have elect at most of them.

Not sure I'll be of any help, so without reading the other post I'll try to address your question from MY viewpoint,

Never too much time in Yellowstone NP - Period - more is BETTER - If you can get a room, often there are late cancellations, Stay in the Old Faithful Inn IMHO, it is as much a part of the Park as any of the Natural features, so make some time for it.

The Camp Grounds you stay in will depend on you, and your needs, we will dry camp and don't make reservations.

We usually just try to see a section at a time, the park is so large that we have never been (at least 12 times) when we have not discovered a new treasure. We have never left thinking we had stayed too Long, We have never left where we did not start to plan the next trip back - just the Jewel of the National Parks.

We have found, as I'm sure you have discovered that the shoulder seasons are just BETTER for US, but we still have some Grand daughters that are in school so, we will get stuck in the traffic again.

Catch the Beartooth Drive in your Toad - after you leave Cody - try to make the drive to Thermopolis and the Wind Canyon to Shoshoni - Beautiful drive - I am amazed how the River appears to ME to flow uphill! - Hot Springs - Great little RV Park right on the River just before Shoshoni, and a memory that is forever etched in MY Mind.

One more suggestion, as time is not an Issue - Think about Flaming Gorge and Dinosaur NM - as stops along with the Great State Parks around Steamboat Springs in Colorado.

Hope this was of some help,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We booked 6 days at Fishing Bridge the 3rd week of September but left a day early due to pending inclement weather. After 5 days we felt we had covered the "drive to" spots pretty well and were satisfied with our trip. No mosquitos. By the way, the east entrance to Cody was closed the day we left, only 4 feet of snow on the pass.

Enjoy your trip.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
How many days for Yellowstone?

You've gotten a wide range of responses, because it's like asking how many days to see Delaware. Yellowstone is HUGE, and each region of it is different. Fact is, you'll probably wish you had more time, no matter how much time you spend there. So go into it knowing that, and you may be less frustrated. Plan on more than one trip.

Also, don't sweat it about the crowds. It's not crazy crowded in the summer. Just crowded. And again, if you adjust your expectations and go into it with your eyes open, you can even enjoy the crowds. If you went to Grand Central Terminal, you'd expect to see crowds, and with the right attitude about it you could actually enjoy the crowds. Be a part of the "happening." Have fun!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in May for 4 days. We could have used 6.We stayed in Madison. No hookups but you can run your generator during the day.I would split time between the east and west sides of the park.3 days at Madison and 3 days at Fishing Bridge.That will cut down on your driving. The park is as big as the state of Rhode Island.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't mind cold weather, hate mosquitos, but hoping the south entrance opens by 5/18 so I can get to Fishing Bridge.