cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How old is too old?

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! Would you consider the purchase of a 1997 Winnebago Warrior 27RU with 35k miles, or is that just too old? They are asking 12k. Thats about 15-25k cheaper than something equivalent but newer (mid 2000s).
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed
20 REPLIES 20

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is 72 she still works no need to replace dishwasher and cook yet

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I like my 1993 Damon. Check out the link below for the kind of repairs that are inevitable.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26989746/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

AdequateRV
Explorer
Explorer
I would personally look for a 99 or newer with the v-10 instead of the 460. Not sure when the chevy's switched from the 454 to the 8.1.

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided I am too lazy and time starved to take on a project at this time. I appreciate the advice and hope to do it someday!
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 MH in last 3 yrs has had the following replaced: all heater hoses including front to back, radiator hoses, a/c compressor, high pressure fuel pump, lift pump, fuel lines, exhaust manifold & head, turbo charger, hydraulic pump, new roof w/ upgraded new 15500 a/c's, shocks, muffler, 2 flat screen TV's. It has 105K miles on it and you can see that a used MH can be very costly to bring up to date if it has not been maintained well. I have owned this MH since 2004 and I have kept it well maintained. Most of this work was done @85K miles. I hope it runs another 85K mi but I will not be driving it by then.
Good luck in your search.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Most rubber roofs are guaranteed for 10 years. Actual life is maybe 20. They are very expensive to replace (think 2,000 - 6,000 dollars.) Once the roof starts leaking, its the death of a rig.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you did not read and understand what Isaac-1 wrote, go back and read it again. None of what he is talking about is all that expensive on a common chassis coach. But, if it is not AND you have to buy the work, it can be.

Isaac was very correct. Rubber and plastics all have a limited calendar life.

If you are not a capable technician, consider your choices carefully. If you do buy it get the chassis manuals and carry a set with you.

We are a few days into a 2500 mile - three week excursion in a 44yo coach with 165K miles under its tires. It didn't get to be reliable by accident.

Matt - DW is driving right now.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Many people own older RV's for many reasons, but it's still old and will need constant repair. An older RV is just like a wife. When you married her, she was young and beautiful, but as you got old TOGETHER, she wasn't so good looking anymore, things creaked and rattled and there were many things she refused to do. Since you were getting just as old, there were things you put up with.

Now some young buck comes along and doesn't find her as beautiful, but buys her anyway. He starts driving her a lot harder/differently than you so she complains and breaks down. Be prepared to make a lot of doctor's visit and plastic surgery appointments.

The point, no matter how well it was taken care, you're going to have issues, especially if you don't drive it like the previous owner. Each year of age adds more issues. By the way, the word wife can be swapped for the word husband in my analogy.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Old isn't dead. if you can fix things your self then your done have to be scared by the guy telling you its 1.5 grand to fix a radiator, there is a place in Orlando that makes break lines for much cheaper then most quote here. Anything rubber after all that time has usually aged out, hoses, lines, and some mounts. If you are handy and replace the belts and stuff you find You can save massive amounts from your mechanics pockets.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
A well maintained 20 year old MH with 35k miles for $12k could be a good MH. Just look for maintenance records, if a 454 or 460 see if exhaust manifolds leak. Headers fixed that problem. Look at caulking on the roof was it maintained or is it cracked. Is there any I looked at two 2009 MH's where the owner was never up on the roof, both had bad leaks because the caulking was cracked. Have the control boards on the refer,WH, genset ever been changed? Do all appliances work? I would choose a well maintained low mileage older MH over a newer non maintained MH.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Condition is the important factor. Check it out or have it checked out by a competent RV tech and mechanic..

Ask questions before you sign any agreements or give the seller any money.
Someone here will have the answer.

Keep us updated.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's 20 years old and only 35,000 miles so that's either approx. 1500 to 2000/year of driving and a couple years of driving it or sitting unused for many years.

Take it to a qualified mechanic for a complete checkup including oil analysis, belts, brakes, etc. Test the generator. Check the date on the tires. They might be originals - 20 yr. old!!

The actual RV parts should be o.k. - refrig., air conditioner, furnace because that's not much use but definitely check them out.

Also, fill the grey and black tanks with water and make sure they dump o.k. and there are no nasty obstructions from non-use and drying out. You'll probably have to run it to a dump station somewhere nearby unless he could dump in his sewer opening at home.

Check for water leaks inside at the ceilings and baseboards and look in the cabinets. Get a ladder and inspect the roof itself.

This could be an excellent find but check it out thoroughly. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too old? If I ever sell this coach someone will be very lucky to own my 1988 Country Coach Prevost! Just be sure to have the unit inspected and get the maintenance records so there are no surprises (OK, there will be surprises) down the line.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
look for past roof leaks, Hidden rotten wood. and weak floors would be a deal breaker...
It's not the same as installing tires.
that price might be want they want. but they will take less.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit