cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Take kayaks or not?

tjschaefer
Explorer
Explorer
Driving to Alaska this June for about 2 months. Pulling travel trailer. Debating whether or not I should haul two kayaks on top of tow vehicle all the way or not? Any of you experienced Alaska travelers see the need to have your own kayaks with you? I don't want to haul them all the way if I might only use them once or twice or not at all.
19 REPLIES 19

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
In Whitehorse a kayak or canoe can be rented for a day trip or multi day trip down the Yukon river. Rental is right on the river. I intend to do that on my next trip up there.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's your first time to Alaska you probably won't use it as much as you think. I went in 2006 for the first time and brought my inflatable rubber raft, used it in GNP caught splake, in Muncho lake caught lake trout, Kulane lake caught a 7 lb lake trout. I was reluctant to use it in rivers not being familiar with where to launch or take out and what was in between. In Alaska I used it in several Lakes and caught rainbows up to 22 ins. My friend took both his Kayaks which he stored on top of his MH for him and his wife which he used on the trip up but not in Alaska. He did not fish and the wives wanted to site see. The mtn bikes we used every day.

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a couple Advanced Elements expedition inflatables whenever we travel.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
I have an inflatable, Innova Sunny very tough takes a lot of abuse. I like the open top Sunny easy in and out and only use it in good weather anyhow. When not being used packed away out of sight no air drag. There are other makes out there. Innova has many models even one for white water.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Sue, THANK YOU for the pix! We really enjoy your work.
Sorry off subject, but couldn't help it.

Thank you! But it ain't work - it's a real pleasure :B

Maybe work for hubby because he maintains all the toys. And he's the primary chauffeur along some challenging backroads - here a widening that enabled us to take a break after a couple of hours of single width mountainside road.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue, THANK YOU for the pix! We really enjoy your work.
Sorry off subject, but couldn't help it.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bring them and if you don't use them fine. If you don't bring them and you have the chance to use them you will regret it forever. There are so many chances to use them.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Living in BC Canada and also having traveled and camped throughout the north, I have learned over the years to always either take my canoe or inflatable single person fishing pontoon or the 12 foot aluminum car-topper boat on all trips.

This area of the country and the Yukon have far too many lakes and rivers to explore and it would be a shame to miss out by not taking your kayaks, even if you only get out on the water a few times during your trip.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Were it me and if you have a convenient way to haul them, I'd bring them. I suspect having them along might generate more days of use....

FWIW, can't speak for elsewhere, but there are rental places in Los Anchorage. 'course if the kayaks are like the canoes, you'll get older boats that show some mileage.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
When we visited in 2008 we had our inflatable with us. Of course, that ended up being one of the coolest/wettest summers (according to the locals) in recent years. I did not use it anywhere near as much as I had hoped to. A couple considerations - water temps are cold! If you paddle in Michigan you are likely used to that. The bigger bodies of water can get pretty rough pretty quick - I had both dry top and wetsuit with me, and of course good PFD! The rivers were certainly big and fast - not suitable for a casual paddler. Was I glad to have it with me when I did use it? Yes - but as I said - that was on just a few occasions. As others said, we were there to sightsee - didn't spent a lot of time in any one place too often - usually just a night or 2 - like was already stated - our days were full - and we were 101 nights on the road! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't own a kayak, but if I did, I'd bring it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
if you have the room to take them, do it. even if you only use them a time or two. if they are a PITA to haul, then I would say leave them at home.
if you use them a lot, then forget what I said, take them.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe an inflatable kayak might be a worthwhile investment.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I predict you won't use them as often as Sue. She's been going there for years and lives in Whitehorse. She has a lot of opportunity to use them.

Also, those are perfect pictures on perfect days - beautiful, Sue! You won't have constant days like that!

Since you're only taking 2 months for the trip there is just so much to see and do and your days will be full.

If you're a die-hard kayaker then by all means take them but if you don't do it on every trip in the lower U.S. you might want to re-consider.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel