cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking at full timing for a while considering coleman

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As a couple we are looking at full timing for a few years, was planning on TT and 3/4 ton truck, looking hard at a Coleman Lantern model mainly due to tank sizes, FW 60, Grey 84, Black 42. We are planning on quite a bit of boondocking between stays at RV parks.
I know Coleman is a cheaper brand but no other TT in a 29' model has the space, carry capacity of this one. Lantern 296RK anyone have any experience with it?
13 REPLIES 13

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
This Grand Design Reflection is one foot longer, has the same or better tank capacities, and would be so much nicer for full timing (in my opinion).
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 23 foot fun finder we travel for 6 months at a time. It's a lower end trailer and it works perfect for us. Very little issues. We talk to folks that do have big nicer trailers the us. I think most have more issues then we do. I am handy and when something needs repaired I or the shop does it. No we don't camp in cold weather, but we have been stuck in it and our little house works for us. Buy what you want/afford and make it work. The trick is to buy something you can afford, ie pay cash, and then go out and enjoy it.

rbs62
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Coleman 28ft no slides one thing I liked about it. It has more outdoor storage space

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course you can full time in a Coleman but you may find yourself making some repairs and adjustments as time goes on. If I were looking at full timing in a trailer, I would want a four season trailer that can handle the cold as well as the hot. Double pane windows are really needed to avoid all the condensation you get when camping in colder temps and better wall, roof and floor insulation can help save propane costs. Another factor is how "light" you are comfortable traveling i.e. travel trailers don't have a lot of storage room and cargo capacity can be limited. Don't get me wrong....I don't have a four season trailer, nor double pane windows, but I could manage to full time in my Winnebago although my wife wouldn't take kindly to the idea. But then again, some class B owners would tell you that they could full time in their rigs!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, Coleman is not high end luxury by any means. I have a 268rk 30 ft. explorer model and I have no complaints with it. We spent 10 weeks in it on the big circle trip from TN to the Olympic Penn down to the grand canyon, over to the Gulf coast and a lot of points in between and then back home. At no time did we ever feel cramped or uncomfortable or ever had the thought that the trailer was not adequate. Granted, 10 weeks is a far cry from a couple years of full timing in it.

Peoples comfort levels and what is considered acceptable is very subjective and individual. You need to really think about what you want for a level of comfort for what will be your home....something very different than a sticks and bricks house. Biggest issue for me would be looking at the initial investment and associated depreciation with the consideration of will I be keeping the unit after we are done full timing and continue to use it.....that being the case then depreciation is irrelevant as I would consider it to be an investment in my well being and enjoyment of RVing. If you are planning on selling it after your full timing stint then go with the less expensive option and get what you can out of it when done and move on.

I have never been one to think that just because I may have the money to afford something that I need the latest and greatest, biggest and bestest. I always looked at what will fulfill my needs and with the level of comfort that is acceptable to me. What ever you do you will always be looking at what you want in your next trailer.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Check out north wood. We had an Articfox with 2grey tanks. They discontinued the 29V but have a similar model now. Made well great insulation and tons of storage. Happy and safe travels.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco Jay Flight 29 RKS is basically the same floorplan with possibly higher end materials, bigger fresh water tank as well.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I recently walked through some Coleman TT's at a CW. They are not the level of TT I would want to full time in. They're great for the weekend RV'er and occasional week trip, but defineately not full timing. Things will break quickly full timing in one.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Toyhauler as usually have bigger tanks, ours had 150 gallon fresh water, 67 gray and black.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
We are, and I dont mind spending more but size, floorplan both appeal as does the tank sizes.
I have seen other 2 slide models with the same floorplan but tanks are much smaller. Coleman makes this with fiberglass sides, but again the tanks shrink. If anyone knows of another brand with matching size and capacities I'd appreciate a point in their direction.
I am fairly handy, dont mind some maintenance but was wondering if anyone had tried one of these long term.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like great ground clearance....more than my TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
You would think a few years in a cheaper brand would just about wear that tt out.
yeah, that's a pretty cheap trailer for fulltiming, presuming that means travelling a lot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
You would think a few years in a cheaper brand would just about wear that tt out.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000