cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goshen, In to Niagara Falls.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
We will be going on to Niagara Falls after the Coachmen Rally in June -July. Specifically we will be staying at Four Mile Creek State Park. My question is how to avoid the toll road in New York? What would the best route to take to avoid the almost $50 toll? Thanks, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
8 REPLIES 8

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oops!!!! OPer here. I guess I did something wrong when I calculated the cost of these tolls. Somehow I came up with a bit over $50 bucks. Either way time will pay a big factor in our route. If the toll is as cheap as WNYBob says I will probably go that way. Thanks for all the responses, John
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go Hwy. 5 or 20, consider buying gas at Silver Creek - much cheaper. If taking I-90, it is also worth the hassle of going off the interstate to fill up.

I am assuming this is still applicable - we have not been that way for a couple of years now.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
$50 sounds more like the cost for the full route to Albany, perhaps? or merely a slight exaggeration.

One decent alternative if you're prepared to do it is to go across Canada from the Detroit area. You obviously need passports (or enhanced driver's licenses if your state offers them) etc. and should fill up fuel before crossing the border to have any hope of saving any money

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the NY Thru-Way toll calculator.
Link

For those who don't want to go to the calculator, the cost from PA line to Lackawanna is $5.75 for class 4L!

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
There is no tolls between NF and 4 Mile CG!

I think the OP is talking about PA/NY line to Buffalo, which is 61 mi.

Cost shouldn't be $50! If your TV is under 7' and a total of 4 axels or more You should be in class 4L.

But with all that said, heading east at PA/NY line take the first NY exit, and then either take route 5 or 20. I prefer 5 as it has less small towns a speed traps. Both routes are 2 lane.

Both routes merge east of Silver Creek, then take 5 to I190 North, which will almost take you to the CG.

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
i just put in niagara falls new york to four mile creek state park in google maps. it shows 15-18 miles depeding on route.

are we using same start/end points?

ah, maybe i misunderstood. i thought you were trying to travel FROM 4mile creek to niagara falls. not elkhart in to four mile creek

from elkhart in to four mile creek is 494 miles (and toll roads despite options to avoid them)

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
windviewer wrote:
google maps shows that as a 24 minute drive with tolls. are they really charging $50 to go 15 miles !

wow!

changing google map options to avoid tolls and highways did not make a difference in routing. hmmmm. (conspiracy theroists can now chime in)

adding an intermediate stop between your start and end of blairville ny made google maps finally avoid the toll road. cost in time was +3 minutes.

not sure of road conditions, but you apparently have to play games now with routing to avoid tolls.

Hummm.... I came up with about 61 miles.
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
google maps shows that as a 24 minute drive with tolls. are they really charging $50 to go 15 miles !

wow!

changing google map options to avoid tolls and highways did not make a difference in routing. hmmmm. (conspiracy theroists can now chime in)

adding an intermediate stop between your start and end of blairville ny made google maps finally avoid the toll road. cost in time was +3 minutes.

not sure of road conditions, but you apparently have to play games now with routing to avoid tolls.