cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Health Insurance questions for full timers.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about going full time next year and our only uncertainty is health insurance. We live in Tennessee and are both around 50 years old and make around 50k a year. Any ideas on what it would cost us and who provides such coverage. We currently have Humana and it runs us around $400 a month after tax credits. Any ideas because it is the only thing dampening our plans.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
30 REPLIES 30

Diana808
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Diana808 wrote:
What other actions can I take to support my claim that I am a resident?

Read this post and consider the following quote from this post:
. . . someone visiting a state for a transitory purpose, for example, to obtain medical care, do not meet the residency requirement for Marketplace coverage for the Marketplace service area they are visiting

Thank you TechWriter, I read your post and saved it for future reference. I will ask my current CPA for a referral to an Oregon CPA. Between the advice of that professional and my Escapees insurance broker, I will do my best to take action to establish residency in OR.

Failing that, I am also looking at establishing residency in Panama. Getting health insurance there would cover me for six months in North America as well.
Diana & Michael
Hawaii Island and Alaska

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:

Residing in Oregon for health care reasons only causes other problems .. Taxes ..

Taxes run a distant second to the cost of health care.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
"you will be signing up for an ACA plan, then you only need to be a Oregon resident, and not make Oregon your domicile. There's a difference."

Residing in Oregon for health care reasons only causes other problems .. Taxes .. I'm looking at the whole picture not just the Heath care .. I'm sorry I wasn't clear but Oregon will come after them kinda like a Montana llc perhaps they don't make much ( aca) why not become real residents and solve all the questions I understand the healthcare part ..YOU or nobody else answers how to become a resident of Oregon and not reside there AND Declare another state as domicile ? If I could do that I'd love to ..and keep my Oregon health plan As long as I won't owe Oregon any income taxes ( my tax consultant says I can't)
By the way I originally answered the question they asked about Oregon tax on there vehicles and added the other tax info because they obviously didn't know. But I defer to you or others on the ACA legalities re residency
Bill

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
From what I know a resident and someone with a "domicile" in Oregon will pay oregon income tax per my last tax return in Oregon. From my point of view there is no purpose in having "residency" but not domicile since there is no sales tax there is no benefit . Am I missing something ?

Yes, you are.

Diana808 wants access to an ACA health plan in Oregon because it will offer nationwide coverage -- very, very important for a full-time RVer.

The ACA is concerned where you actually reside, not necessarily your domicile.

Your talking about state taxes, another matter completely.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I know a resident and someone with a "domicile" in Oregon will pay oregon income tax per my last tax return in Oregon. From my point of view there is no purpose in having "residency" but not domicile since there is no sales tax there is no benefit . Am I missing something ?
Bill

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Diana808 wrote:
Ok, I then need to establish residency in OR. Besides purchasing a mail forwarding service in OR, What other actions can I take to support my claim that I am a resident? Thank you for your thoughts.

Read this post and consider the following quote from this post:

. . . someone visiting a state for a transitory purpose, for example, to obtain medical care, do not meet the residency requirement for Marketplace coverage for the Marketplace service area they are visiting
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oregon has NO personal property tax or registration "tax/"on RV ,car, trucks, planes etc there is the property tax on property ( land home etc ) in mid level in the country not high nor low ..there is no sales tax on anything. Here is INCOME tax but social security is exempt I'm told as is some portion of pensions depending on source but not all. Income tax is high at 9+ %
Vehicle registration ( tags plates) is reasonable and generally for a multi year time.
Hope that helps
Bill

Diana808
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I then need to establish residency in OR. Besides purchasing a mail forwarding service in OR, What other actions can I take to support my claim that I am a resident? Thank you for your thoughts.
Diana & Michael
Hawaii Island and Alaska

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Diana808 wrote:
The insurance broker I found via Escapees said if I domicile in Oregon I will have access to nationwide ACA insurance plans

If you will be signing up for an ACA plan, then you only need to be a Oregon resident, and not make Oregon your domicile. There's a difference.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Diana808
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone domicile in Oregon? The insurance broker I found via Escapees said if I domicile in Oregon I will have access to nationwide ACA insurance plans (I am 59). A concern about making Oregon my domicile is the personal property tax. We are buying a truck and fifth wheel with a total value of about $85,000. If I register the truck and trailer in Oregon will they be subject to this tax? If so, can I have an Oregon drivers license and register the vehicles in SD to avoid this OR tax?
Diana & Michael
Hawaii Island and Alaska

benjellyy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all share your opinion on health insurance Its beneficial for us

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Expyinflight wrote:
I would agree with several others that have posted. This would not be the time to consider beginning the fulltime RV lifestyle, since you are under 65. It may be better to wait for at least for the next couple of years, until we all know what is possibly going to happen with health insurance. Many predict it is going to get worse, and even more expensive, before it gets any better.

Yep. For those currently full timing, one option you have is to use the ACA's SEP (Special Enrollment Period) to "drive" to the best health plan.

See State Residency and the ACA.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with several others that have posted. This would not be the time to consider beginning the fulltime RV lifestyle, since you are under 65. It may be better to wait for at least for the next couple of years, until we all know what is possibly going to happen with health insurance. Many predict it is going to get worse, and even more expensive, before it gets any better.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Most plans on the exchanges limit the area of service to a certain geographic location. To get service in multiple states you should look at Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana or a national company that provides a PPO Plan.

PPO plans have gone by the wayside almost everywhere. Had a great BCBS PPO in Arizona till 15 months ago, now none for sale. 14 of 15 counties have only one carrier even selling individual policies. 1 county has two carriers. Premiums up over 100 percent in two years with much less coverage. ACA is dying a fast death even wthout Trump. The GOP is not going to replace it and instead are going to let it die under its own weight.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000