cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

storage insurance

michaelh
Explorer
Explorer
New owners at my storage want liability insurance(100k!) for while my tt is in storage. I have never heard of this....neither has my ins agent. Older trailer, my truck insurance covers it when it is connected, never had insurance for it. Insuring the thing looks like it will double my storage costs! Anyone have similar experience?
12 REPLIES 12

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You can purchase just plain liability coverage for a trailer, you just have to check around. A company's offering varies state to state. I know Progressive sells just liability at least in my part of Texas. If someone purchases a new trailer then it may not be an option since financing companies typically require full coverage.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is you can't buy liability only for the trailer, its' either full collision / comprehensive, or nothing. Liability is only in tact when you're pulling it with your TV, at least, with gieco.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm in a lot with an insurance requirement and it's not a bad thing. The insurance requirement makes for fewer headaches for the lot owner. When someone isn't paying attention and ends up taking out a gate or a structure, sometimes collecting the money to fix the damage can be a really big hassle especially when there's no insurance involved. When the person doesn't pay, the cost ends up being passed to the renters. Requiring everyone one to carry insurance and having that info on file makes for an easy recovery when things go wrong.

The same benefits applies to you as well. If you incur damage from someone hitting you or something going wrong with their trailer, vehicle, or equipment then you have less to worry about when it comes to how the damage will be repaired. Same applies to them if something ever goes wrong with your trailer.

Interex
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I have Progressive insurance on the trailer, seems that it is around $140 per year for full coverage.

Cool, I'll check them out. Thanks!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have Progressive insurance on the trailer, seems that it is around $140 per year for full coverage.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Interex
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

yeah, and 100K is worthless, think a million or more umbrella policy.
bumpy

Wow, who's your carrier? Lowest I was getting was about $50/month.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Personally I think it is foolish to not have protection. Who will cover you when/if the RV starts a huge fire? Who will cover you when a guest falls at your campsite?

yeah, and 100K is worthless, think a million or more umbrella policy.
bumpy

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance is not expensive. Our TT is insured with truck when they're connected and then has its own insurance when unhooked. I think we pay about $100 a year for it.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Personally I think it is foolish to not have protection. Who will cover you when/if the RV starts a huge fire? Who will cover you when a guest falls at your campsite?

Exactly! Everyone wants to cross all Ts and dot all Is.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
their yard, their rules. if your TT has wheels, move.
bumpy

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't matter what anyone has heard of before. His storage yard, his rules. Three choices:
1. ask for a waiver,
2. get insurance,
3. find a new storage yard.