cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report! Spring Break 2017 Kodiak Alaska Style!!

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Well, as I mentioned to the folks over on the Avion thread, my son has been bugging me all week that he wanted to go camping and take the ATV's out to our favorite little beach here on Kodiak Island Alaska. Problem has been weather has been 20-30F with winds 25 to 55 mph for quite some time. Well, Thursday afternoon the wind settled to a mere 15 to 25 mph with occasional gusts to 30, so it was time to attempt to load the camper on to the truck.

SO said son assisted me crank up the 1966 Avion, got it loaded without incident, and then began loading the other goodies in. Then Friday afternoon I got off work a little early, fueled up, went home hooked on to the ATV trailer pulled up in front of the house and began loading ATV's, food and sundries for our overnight-er. He called his friend who came over as we were wrapping up the load-out. Got all the bikes gassed up, cinched up the torsion bars as I had been warned of lots of ice on the roads and lots of big frost heaves. Also strapped to the trailer our latest camping acquisition, a Honda EU2000i. Since I have added a forced air 12,000btu furnace, and with the weather as cold as it has been, i knew that my single group 27 180AH wet cell would be sorely tasked.

Once loaded up, we began the normal one hour drive From Kodiak "city" to Roslyn Creek. This is about a 55 to 60 mile drive. I had queried a coworker that lives less than a mile from the beach how the roads were, and he said that the ice was bad and the frost heaves were worse. He was right!

About half way out we stopped to let traffic by and gave me chance to snap off a few pics.

As you can see, there is ice around and some snow. I am running 19.5 studded snow tires, trailer has brakes on both axles, but just load range E trailer tires, non-studded.

All the way out we were seeing deer on the road, off the road, on the beach etc.

Here is one out on the beach,

As we got closer to our camping area the frost heaves that were so bad that we were in second gear on the ZF-6 and doing 15-25mph gave way to solid sheets of ice...

Two hours later we arrived at the beach and it was absolutely beautiful!!

Thats all the pics for Friday Night! Next Post will have the next days!!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
24 REPLIES 24

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
garryk6 wrote:
cewillis wrote:
Nice pictures, looks like fun for all. But 10.8v?!?! What did it show when everything was turned off? That sounds like really pushing it into the 'dead zone'.

It rebounded to 11.9V

I think I need some more aH's if I am going to overnight in the teens with the furnace going...

Thoughts?

A lot has to do with the temperature of the battery . For instance , if your battery was at 30 deg F when it showed 11.9v it would have been at 70 per cent SOC . Also how long after having no load and no charge when you took the reading . In your environment and a 12v fridge , 2 batteries would be prudent , and keeping them warm if possible .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
SilverPompadour wrote:
Nice trip! Beautiful scenery even if it's hard to take in while driving a truck camper down a rough, icy road while swerving for deer. Studded tires are the best, are you thinking of a set for the trailer?

Does the wind blow like that all year round?

We don't get enough ice when we can go camping and ATVing to warrant the trailer getting a set of studs. If anything I might get a set of chains to use as "drag chains".

As for the wind.. It is a blessing and a curse. In the summer you pray for no wind to take the boat out fishing. But if going camping or ATV' ing or river fishing you want some wind to keep the bugs away. Wind is a part of island life. Winter is usually stronger up to 125mph!! Summer is typically 35mph but have seen 50mph in the summer. Pretty rare, but 35 can happen often in the summer.

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I would not depend on a battery sitting at 11.9v. But you said you have a generator -- I don't. (instead I have 4 x 12v 135AH -- 9 years old now, still never go below about 12.7v)
Cal

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip! Beautiful scenery even if it's hard to take in while driving a truck camper down a rough, icy road while swerving for deer. Studded tires are the best, are you thinking of a set for the trailer?

Does the wind blow like that all year round?
1968 Avion C-11
1993 Dodge D250 LE Cummins

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the assessment of more amp hours needed for that type of overnight. But even more important, creating memories that will last a lifetime. Priceless!! Many thanks for sharing, Garry.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
Nice pictures, looks like fun for all. But 10.8v?!?! What did it show when everything was turned off? That sounds like really pushing it into the 'dead zone'.

It rebounded to 11.9V

I think I need some more aH's if I am going to overnight in the teens with the furnace going...

Thoughts?
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Cal

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Thanks for the tour Garry . Nice to see that old Avion out-n-about . Those roads sure look slick but I'm not seeing what I call frost heaves.

Thanks Ticki!
It was real hard to picture them without stopping, but there were some that "table-topped" 8 inches... with minimal slope up or down... I didnt drag hitches or bottom anywhere, but the Rancho's took a beating even going as slow as I was going...

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tour Garry . Nice to see that old Avion out-n-about . Those roads sure look slick but I'm not seeing what I call frost heaves.
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Yay!..... and YIKES on the ice! Sounds like fun! You are giving your son memories that he will LONG remember as he grows... Good for you dad! ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks for the photos!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If those studs can keep that rig on those roads, I think I am going to use a pair of those tires for the soles of my hiking boots -- no more crampons for me!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
So just to follow up, Thanks for all the great comments! So Friday night it got down to the high teens, we shut off the Honda Generator at about 8:30 pm, and didn't get up till about 7:30. Had to adjust the thermostat down through the night, because even with the vent cracked the 12,000 btu Atwood was cooking us out! Some of you may remember from the Avion Thread that before this fall all we had was the 3000 BTU wave catalytic heater. This past fall I finally installed the Atwood and it has been great. We also changed out the 5 year old Walmart group 27 house battery for a Group 27 180aH battery. And with the Boon Docker smart charger, it seems to be doing well, but I had not given the battery that much of a hard test. When we went to Anchorage for Thanksgiving, the camper stayed plugged into shore power all night and we were driving around during the day. Even with temps to 6 below zero, the Atwood kept the camper very toasty, but it did go through the propane at those temps. I was having to fill up every few days.

So when we got up, the furnace and Engel Fridge/freezer was still running well, and the battery indicated 10.8 V with both running. Had to bring in the generator to warm it up before it would start and stay running. Put the camper back on the generator at about 9:30 in the AM. While I was cooking breakfast the boys unloaded the bikes to enjoy the sunny but cold morning ridding the beach and trails and sliding around on all the ice!

I pulled off the screen, the pink 1 inch foam board and the reflectix from one of the dinette windows to let some light in and to watch the boys, and after I thawed the window I took these pics.

After Breakfast and alot of bike riding the boys were cold, so had some more hot chocolate and I had some more coffee. Then we loaded up the bikes and decided to explore a little more of the Chiniak area since the Native Corporation had done some more logging and it had been over a year since we had been out this far past our favorite beach.

The storms have been big this year and while it has been frigid, so we have alot of icy build up on the beach rocks that we don't normally see.

God created the Sitka Blacktail deer here on Kodiak to blend in very will with the terrain! We counted over a dozen along side the road between Friday and Saturday. The boys kept asking if it was legal to hunt this time of year. I had to keep reminding them that they had to wait till August.... ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is a more typical Kodiak Beach. This is why Kodiak is lovingly know by the locals as "The Rock".

As we started the long process of driving back to town, these were the road conditions...

Here is the sign for a 10% grade with alot of ice. I was in first gear and slow before I even started down the grade...

This Guy didn't manage to stay on the road...

At the Olds River the sun had cleared the roads pretty well.

By this time all the cold weather and junk food and fun as well as my slow driving on the ice and frost heaves, both boys were out cold!

And the cattle were enjoying the sun as well!

As we reached the American river, there is a large dirt parking lot that everyone parks at to take the Saltery Trail in on their ATV's. This trail is not for the faint of heart, though not difficult in the summer can be quite sportin in the winter...
This is the view as I pulled of the clear main road...

And this is the view at in the parking lot.

As I was leaving the lot, I managed to wake up the boys, as I decided to see if I could get the near 50 foot of rig the break loose and do a controlled slide. It was only a little slide, as the studded tires on the truck work well, but the movement got the attention of the boys! ๐Ÿ˜‰

More of the scenery on the drive back.

When we arrived back at the house, I had a fair bit of icicles and here you can see the studded 19.5 tires that I have that work VERY well!!

I hope that you have all enjoyed!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I had always want to go to Kodiak,and much enjoyed that part of my Alaska trip.
Cal

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like the snow in Alaska melted long before the snow in California!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."