cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon campgrounds where dogs can't hear fireworks?

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good campground within 50 or so miles of Portland that is far enough away so that the noise from fireworks can't be heard over the 4th of July holiday?
I have 2 senior Mastiffs with heart problems, and my female is extremely sensitive to popping sounds.
I have decided to take the dogs out of town camping in our TT this year instead of subjecting her to the terrible fear and anxiety, especially now that her heart is enlarged.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, my life would be easier if I could be sedated 24x7... 🙂

I understand what you're going thru, we had a Golden that was terrified of bangs, thunder. Would knock stuff over trying to wedge itself into some place small. Really couldn't console him. That was tough!

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Y-Guy. My wife is a Vet Tech and we have tried several different sedatives on her. Unfortunately all they do is make her more anxious. She has been under anesthesia twice in her life and had very bad reactions to it both times as well. Life would be so much easier if we could just sedate her.

Y-Guy
You may also want to talk to your Vet about a mild sedative to help calm them down, it's not uncommon at all. On the 4th it's difficult to guarantee you won't have anyone shoot something off, even the small legal snap thing would set our dog off.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies everyone, I appreciate it. Donn, I will look into Oxbow as well, thank you.
Unfortunately I have tried everything to drown out the noise, I have a pretty powerful home theater system that I have tried playing classical music to calm her, but that didn't work. We spent our new years eve this past Jan driving the dogs down South on I5 until about 2:30 in the morning because she was absolutely terrified in the house.
She is a 170 lb Mastiff, and when she's terrified, she tries to go behind the TV, furniture, under tables, etc.
I thought one of the campgrounds out in the woods might work as long as it's far enough away from the city displays. I was thinking Barton Park or McIver park, but then I read that Estacada has a fireworks display on the 4th. She would most likely be able to hear that from either of those 2 parks.
Thank you all for the suggestions, if anyone thinks of anything else, please post.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
white noise?

Turn on the AC, or a fan or something.
Drown out the sudden bang from a firework with some constant background noise.

heck, that's the way I sleep these days!

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Agree there will be people at campgrounds with fireworks good luck

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the 4th... I would look for a private rv park located as deep in the forest that you can find. My guess is that all state parks will already be totally reserved for the 4th.

We had a Lhasa Apso that would go nuts with fear with fireworks. She (and us) would be totally miserable.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Oxbow park is the one I was trying to think of. Down in the canyon next to the river. Should be very quiet.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC, fireworks are prohibited in all Oregon state parks. This doesn't mean there aren't jerks that don't follow the rules.

In case you folks from the mid-west and east don't know, fireworks, other than municipal ones, are prohibited in rural area due to fire concerns, especially during the summer months. Park Ranger patrols during the 4th are usually very frequent and enforcement consistent.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
At the risk of being a "downer" - my fear would be that ANY campground on the (incredibly popular for camping) 4th of July is going to harbor people with fireworks of their own.

What about staying in a hotel? Close to a noisy expressway to drown out the noises?

Avoid any kind of lake or stream - we live on a lake in Michigan and the celebrations with daily fireworks last for a couple of weeks before, and maybe a week after the actual holiday.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that most State Parks are fully booked in July - you might try Champoeg it's less popular and far enough away that it fireworks may not be a problem.
Kevin

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Oregun. I tried Stub Stewart, all booked up already for the dates I want to stay. I will check Gales Creek

Oregun
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stub Stuart or Gales Creek

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you donn, do you think that would be far enough out of town that the big city displays couldn't be heard? Just curious.