cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am NOT a Tech so excuse me if I use the wrong terms.

I did not want to hijack an other posting.

Assume I use a ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet at my S&B home when I am not on the road in my RV. I will also be able to move the ZTE Mobley to my TT while I am on the road.

In my S&B home I will need to connect the Mobley to my existing Ethernet and Wireless router. I do not think the Mobley has an Ethernet connection am I correct. . . . . :h . . . My problem would be solved if the Mobley had the Ethernet connection.

Questions?

1. Will all or most Ethernet & wireless LAN routers connect wireless to the Mobley? What special words do I need to look for when purchasing a new router/WIFI booster/extender/router.

2. Since I will have 2 wireless networks (the Mobley and the Ethernet/WIFI router) in the home, when I move from room to room will my (say laptop) automatically switch from one network to the other or will I need to log out/in to the different networks.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
48 REPLIES 48

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
AMOS33 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
A load balancing router will not increase speeds. It works by trying to keep the speeds of each from dropping due to network congestion. It would send multiple web requests using which ever connection appears to be less used. I have played with them in the past and was never impressed. I also worked with a company called Mushroom Networks that allowed you to plug multiple cell cards into 1 device and it actually DID increase speeds as it could aggregate the signals but it was pricy and if 1 service dropped off 4G then none would use the 4G service. Things are likely better (and more expensive) these days.

Reckon I am just too curious sir, so I purchased a load balancing router and am in the process of setting it up. It has 1 Wan port and 3 Wan/Lan ports and 1 Lan port. Just now I have my Wan port plugged into my Nano Powerline Adapter which ends at my DSL router about 200 feet from my RV. I am trying now to figure the best way to connect my ZTE Mobley to one of the available Wan/Lan ports to see if I can get any good results.

It can't increase the speed, but it can increase the capacity. Speed is bits/sec, capacity is bytes/sec. It works best with multiple users/devices
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the ODB II connector the only port on the Mobley is USB, which some folks have managed to connect to a select set of routers.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
A load balancing router will not increase speeds. It works by trying to keep the speeds of each from dropping due to network congestion. It would send multiple web requests using which ever connection appears to be less used. I have played with them in the past and was never impressed. I also worked with a company called Mushroom Networks that allowed you to plug multiple cell cards into 1 device and it actually DID increase speeds as it could aggregate the signals but it was pricy and if 1 service dropped off 4G then none would use the 4G service. Things are likely better (and more expensive) these days.

Reckon I am just too curious sir, so I purchased a load balancing router and am in the process of setting it up. It has 1 Wan port and 3 Wan/Lan ports and 1 Lan port. Just now I have my Wan port plugged into my Nano Powerline Adapter which ends at my DSL router about 200 feet from my RV. I am trying now to figure the best way to connect my ZTE Mobley to one of the available Wan/Lan ports to see if I can get any good results.
"No matter how far you go...there you are?"

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The Mobley will work fine in your home with an available 120VAC power adapter. To connect it to your home network, your router needs be one of the makes/models with a "WiFi as WAN" feature that will let it connect to the Mobley's Wifi. With that connection, if you connect your other devices to the router instead of the Mobley, there will be no need for anything to switch networks as you move around the house and out of range of the Mobley. I use a Cradlepoint MBR95 for my "WiFi as WAN" router, but that model has been superseded by the MBR1200 as I recall. PEPwave and WiFiRanger are two other popular brands for "WiFi as WAN" routers. My Mobley just arrived at my mail forwarders, so I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but I'll be setting it up for both 120-volt and 12-volt portable operation with suitable adapters. I also have AT&T's 250GB/mo $60 plan with unlimited phone service, but that unit is a bit bulky for portable use. The Mobley and the $20 unlimited plan will make a nice addition to my connectivity and be almost as portable as a standalone hotspot.

Interesting. Since I have both DSL and a Mobley, was thinking of getting a load balancer router to see if I can combine the two to double my speed. Any thoughts on this idea?

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
I never questioned why you should have a Mobley in your RV. That's obvious. I have had one in my RV for nearly as long as the offer first surfaced.
It's the power line thing that doesn't make much sense but if you are happy that's great.

Gulp!
Sorry Bill but of all who I have interacted here since my very first post on Powerline communications; I thought you were the one person who understood.

But its ok, I am happy:)

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
AMOS33 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I found the same thing with my car. Even with the ignition off the Mobley still works. I guess that's why the time out option would be really important. Do you have anything in the Mobley interface that shows you can connect 10 devices? I don't know how 1 VM6200 can connect to 5 devices and another VM6200 can connect to 10 devices.
As an aside, why would you need something like the Mobley and powerline devices in an RV. Your RV must be a whole lot longer than my 40 footer!

Yessir to your first question:here is how I manage the device:
http://ufi.ztedevice.com/index.html#home
When I go there it shows me the devices that are connected.

Your second question requires a much longer answer, but my RV is 31 feet in length.

Why I need the mobley in my RV? Because it gives superior performance over the Park's wifi service and I am paying $22/month, so why not use it? It is unlimited and produces broadband speeds versus my Parks WiFi which has DSL broadcast over 3 directional wireless-N atennae from Amped Wireless being shared by 60 RVs.

This test is using my mobley inside my RV

This test is using my Park WiFi via my PL adapters

My rv is setup for BPL access using nano technology which I have shown to be superior to WiFi in previous posts.

I never questioned why you should have a Mobley in your RV. That's obvious. I have had one in my RV for nearly as long as the offer first surfaced.
It's the power line thing that doesn't make much sense but if you are happy that's great.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Do you have anything in the Mobley interface that shows you can connect 10 devices? I don't know how 1 VM6200 can connect to 5 devices and another VM6200 can connect to 10 devices.

This is why I was asking how he accesses the Mobley. I get in via attwifimanager/index.html. I was wondering if there is another way offering different settings.

Dave

Hi Dave, reckon not all mobleys are created equal? Mine is from a 3rd party I purchased on Amazon. I cannot access attwifimanager but I can access ufi.ztedevice.com which is similar. Here are some details:
ZTE VM6200 (Mobley) - Mobile 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot OBD Device
Did not purchase it from AT&T
Loaded with Current Firmware
Includes "No Time Out" (No Auto Device Shutdown) Option
Supports up to 10 Wi-Fi Enabled Devices
No SIM Card Installed

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I found the same thing with my car. Even with the ignition off the Mobley still works. I guess that's why the time out option would be really important. Do you have anything in the Mobley interface that shows you can connect 10 devices? I don't know how 1 VM6200 can connect to 5 devices and another VM6200 can connect to 10 devices.
As an aside, why would you need something like the Mobley and powerline devices in an RV. Your RV must be a whole lot longer than my 40 footer!

Yessir to your first question:here is how I manage the device:
http://ufi.ztedevice.com/index.html#home
When I go there it shows me the devices that are connected.

Your second question requires a much longer answer, but my RV is 31 feet in length.

Why I need the mobley in my RV? Because it gives superior performance over the Park's wifi service and I am paying $22/month, so why not use it? It is unlimited and produces broadband speeds versus my Parks WiFi which has DSL broadcast over 3 directional wireless-N atennae from Amped Wireless being shared by 60 RVs.

This test is using my mobley inside my RV

This test is using my Park WiFi via my PL adapters

My rv is setup for BPL access using nano technology which I have shown to be superior to WiFi in previous posts.

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have anything in the Mobley interface that shows you can connect 10 devices? I don't know how 1 VM6200 can connect to 5 devices and another VM6200 can connect to 10 devices.

This is why I was asking how he accesses the Mobley. I get in via attwifimanager/index.html. I was wondering if there is another way offering different settings.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Most, but not all, OBD2 ports have live power as long as the battery is connected.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I just can't figure out why that device is not listing on the ZTE website. The only Mobley listed is the 5 connection device and it shows the same VM6200 model number.

Hi Bill, I ordered my vm6200 from Amazon and the seller was Zim-5 Enterprises for $179 and I also purchased an AC adapter for $28. The seller is very helpful and provided all the assistance I needed.

What is most interesting is that even with my ignition in my car turned off, I was able to connect and continue using the device from inside my RV.

You may remember me from my posts on BPL (broadband powerlines).

Will do some testings using my mobley and BPL adapters for RVs.

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I signed up for the $20 two year plan to get the Mobley free since I am a AT&T customer. Now 6 months later my conditions have changed. I called ATT and had my account put on "suspension" for 6 months for only $10 per month.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos