cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st trip in the "new" RV

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife and I are taking our 2 boys and 2 dogs to go camping this weekend for the first camping trip in the RV. We have purchased quite a bit of starter things that I think we need and few "luxury" items that I know the wife will need. We are going to Lake Martin in Alabama. The military has a FamCamp there. We have tent camped at the exact site that were are setting up the RV so we know what to expect as far amenities (not much) and general layout of the site. There isn't much hiking to do and the water is probably still too cold to go swimming so we will just be fishing and hanging out and breaking in the RV. We have a list that we will be keeping for items that we want for the next camping trip (I know this list never ends...lol).

My primary goal for this trip is to make sure the wife and kids are happy. Mainly the wife.

Primary checklist for the RV
- working sewer system
- working water system
- electric in working condition for the RV (generator primed for backup in case of power problems on site, I also have a EMS because I don't trust the military's electric)
- working fridge for food to showcase my grilling skills
- leveling blocks
- tire pressure gauge and portable air compressor
- fishing equipment and bicycles for the boys

I have been tent camping countless times so I have the general camping equipment (chairs, rug, etc). Other than that we plan on relaxing as much as a 13 year old and a 9 year will allow. One of the activities I plan on doing is completing with my 9 year old his "walk about" badge for boy scouts.

I am super excited to see how this goes with the wife. Last time we tent camped here, she said she would never camp again unless it was in an RV.
2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS
34 REPLIES 34

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
You'll likely pack too much to do and too much to eat your first time out. You'll be a packing pro by the end of the season. If you store your camper for the winter and remove items, take a complete inventory of everything that needs to go back in next year. Food staples, paper products, toiletries, tools, games, everything. It makes for a fun shopping trip come springtime.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
made of sugar eh?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Some of our most memorable and fun camping trips were in the rain. Don't let the rain stop you, that's why you have an RV not a tent.

I agree but not with my wife and it being the first trip in the rig.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
chag67 wrote:
Well the first camping trip was postponed. Rain all day Saturday and Sunday. I'll end up camping by myself in the RV first now. Got a bowling tournament coming up in Huntsville. The family camping trip has been postponed until the first weekend in May. Bummed but now we have a lot of time to work out the kinks in the driveway.

Some of our most memorable and fun camping trips were in the rain. Don't let the rain stop you, that's why you have an RV not a tent.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
Well the first camping trip was postponed. Rain all day Saturday and Sunday. I'll end up camping by myself in the RV first now. Got a bowling tournament coming up in Huntsville. The family camping trip has been postponed until the first weekend in May. Bummed but now we have a lot of time to work out the kinks in the driveway.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Take a tablet and pen. List what you need to put in for next time and what already can come out!! You will find what is essential and wanted for future trips and likely an item or two that is not essential/going to work.

Take your basics and go enjoy!! Great memories in the making. Travel safe.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
ddndoug wrote:
Bikes and a baseball, football, kickball will go a long way in keeping the kids happy and out of mom's hair.

Doug

Yep, add in Frisbees (multiple, in case you lose one and you ALWAYS need to have a "moonlighter" glow in the dark one for night time, lol!), wiffleball!, soccer ball, Nerf football, etc.

Board and card games... We always have Uno, a regular deck of cards, and a couple "travel games" sets with chess, Othello, backgammon, etc.

We also carried a full arsenal of water guns, from cheapo pistols to fancy battery powered ones. A lot of fun on hot August days! One BIG rule never to be broken - NO water guns at all under the awning of the camper, or inside. Anyone participating in the water gun fight is not allowed in the camper or under the awning. Also, only people you know to be participating are open to be sprayed with water!

When our kids were young, we did not allow electronics at the campground. This is up to you. Electronics (and movies) while traveling is great, helps to make the trip quicker usually. As our kids got older (teens), we let up on the electronics, but our kids are so used to it now they think it is weird to be sitting around the campfire using a smartphone...

Camping with kids is similar to fishing with kids - you are there really for them. If the kids get bored, change up what you are doing. I know the saying is "if Mom ain't happy, no one is happy", but when you are camping with kids, happy and busy kids will make everyone happy! Mom and I would sometimes take turns being in charge of the kids to give each other breaks.

We prep meals as much as possible in advance, chop things that need to be chopped, pre-mix when we can. Usually make a couple things in advance and freeze them, like a big casserole dish of macaroni and cheese, and big pot of beef stew. Just warm and serve. Make sure to remember to pull them out and let them defrost.

GregToni
Explorer
Explorer
1st trip in a "New to you" RV is always a memory maker... We just did ours, learned a lot about the RV, and our planning abilities. Probably the event which will be most memorable is leaving the steaks for the celebration meal at home in the frig. We did remember the wine!

As has already been said, Don't over think the event". Just go over the basic happenings, what you are going to do when you get there... set up, level, hook-up, sit back and enjoy. If you have the things covered for those things you will survive.

What the heck, the baked potato alone (with a glass of wine) was still good without the steak!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Nevada the nearest Wal-Mart is often 200 miles away.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Awesome! Sounds like a great weekend. Beats my weekend of 2 soccer games with a 12 hour shift closing a freeway for paving Saturday night!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
give each kid a disposable camera. collect at the end of the trip. develop. worth every penny.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let us know how it turned out.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a garage full of things we thought were needed......but not. If you want to borrow a few, holler. I would like more space in my garage and my guy refuses to let go of a thing.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
When its cool I like to make a pot of chili in the crockpot and take camping. I sit it either in the sink or covered with a towel between my feet in the passengers seat for the trip.. Plug it in on the picnic table and its ready for supper or anytime someone is hungry and grabs a bowl.. I also sometimes have it already cooked before we leave the house so no waiting an its our first meal after setup.. Have a great weekend!!
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite