cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service "Package" for TT Spring Inspection

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I own a 22 foot TT, just purchased in June 2016. My wife and I took about 7 trips with this TT, all within New England last season. Does it make sense for us to have this TT "serviced" by the dealer with a multi-point inspection "package" (brake check, furnace, water heater, plumbing, roof and window seals, battery, etc) for $500 ? I currently have the TT in for a small repair and to have the electric brakes checked anyway.
thoughts?
thanks, Phil
16 REPLIES 16

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mobile service guys are great. There are some things on an RV like a furnace that is really not like what you find in a residence. Those guys can save a lot of time and frustration and don't cost that much.

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
Another think you might consider...YouTube has videos on almost everything. Look and see if there is anything there that can help you out. It might not have a "This is how a Service inspection for Brand X is performed" but it might have them for the generic items you would expect to be checked (furnace, water heater, plumbing, roof, etc).

Just a though...

Community Alumni
Not applicable
$500 seems awfully steep for an inspection like that. Around here that's the price I'd expect to pay to get a thorough workup on a diesel pusher. Ask other dealers in the area for their prices, even ones that are not part of your manufacturer's network. The parts and materials are pretty generic so any competent dealer should be able to perform the same inspection.

A better idea would be to learn to do these things for yourself and save money. The people who do their own inspections and maintenance were once in your shoes. They learned how things worked, what to look for, and how to fix or maintain them. Fixing and maintaining these things isn't rocket science. The good news is that there's a ton of information on the internet and places like this to ask questions.

That's assuming that you are capable doing all of this yourself. Some consider themselves hopeless mechanics. Some people at a point in their life where crawling on top and under a trailer would be quite a task. In those cases it would probably be better to shop around and just have someone do it for them.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
yillb wrote:
The breaks can easily be checked by yourself

He didn't say there were any breaks, but if something was broke, I suppose the dealer would find it in their overpriced inspection.

$500 is a complete rip-off. It's just another way a dealer gouges customers out of more money.
Bob

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
That $500 price represents about 5 hours of shop labor. Sounds excessive to me.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the confidence in the dealer to actually do a thorough inspection? Will you be able to be present to see them open things up and take the time to check furnace fittings and burners and water heater burners and proper operation? Not just open the door to peek in and say yep, that looks ok. I have had a few things done by dealers and I have been somewhat disappointed. If you have them do this for you tell them up front that you expect a DETAILED report on the findings BEFORE you authorize any repairs. Its too easy for them to do a minimal inspection and take your money......any problems (leaks)that come up after you go home they will tell you it was good when it left our service dept. Its on YOU no matter what they did or you expected them to do.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Service, products, even thoughts....are worth whatever someone else is willing to pay. My opinion (you can pay me for it if you like) is....

Asking $500.00 for the service is reasonible, paying $500.00 is not within the spectrum of what I would consider a good deal.

I pay to have the oil changed in my truck. The cost is more than it would be if I did it myself, but not so high that I do. I spend that extra cash for the convenience of not laying on the ground, getting greasy, disposing of oil, etc...

Paying $500 to have someone walk around my trailer with a flash light, inspecting things that I SHOULD WANT TO INSPECT MYSELF...not worth it to me. Even if I was not handy, not worried about understanding the "systems", or otherwise concerned with the upkeep....I would still think that $500.00 was way too much for a couple of hours work.

Every owner of a trailer should do an ANNUAL once-over of all systems. If it is something you feel you should pay for, then by all means do so. I would look for a better deal....$500.00 is way to much.

Keep in mind that, money aside---You should still be able to do a basic "walk-around" before each trip. It would still be beneficial for you to have a basic understanding of the onboard systems.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
As others said, a mobile service guy can do a better job than a dealer, maybe cheaper, too. Assuming your brakes are now good, list the other items that need service like bearings, plumbing, electrical, and most important, exterior seals. I'd suggest to get a quote from a mobile guy in your area and work off the list. He might have other items that he could address, also.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Some important points:
Wheel bearing adjustment is CRITICAL.... Anyone that says to "take the wheels off of the little bearing disc thing".... Hasn't got a clue.
If you do not know how to adjust bearings, don't mess with it.

And "50.00 for a couple of tubes of dicor"
tells me that person has never bought any.

I have never paid more than 10.00 a tube.

As for should you take the 500.00 offer?

No. They probably won't do any better job than you can, even not knowing anything. I agree with the mobile tech suggestion. I have seen much more good work out of them (on other peoples TTs) than I have seen of Dealers work. Mobile techs are generally one man businesses. The person that collects the money is the one doing the work.... Totally different than a dealership business model.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Google all the things you want to have checked and try your best at it. Did you get any kind of a manual that goes over all the systems? My 5er came with one for all the items you list. It's filled with product supplemental. Like the Coleman Mack AC. Norcold Fridge. If you didn't get one then look up the part number for each appliance and google it. JMO but these RV's aren't even close to being rocket science. I haven't done anything to my fridge, AC, etc. I check the seals a couple times a year. Only takes a few minutes to do a visual.
Google, Google, Google. It's your best friend. Many of the guys/gals on here can help too. Save the $500 for gas and CG fees.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
$500 is a lot for that service. My repair guy charges $90 for the same thing, and I get to hang around and ask questions.

I don't have anything done at the dealership. I know a good independant shop, and a good mobile tech.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to 'get to know' your rig when you don't spend some time fiddling/figuring out how things work.

$500 is great price....for dealer
High profit for very little involvement.

If it ain't broke.leave it be
If it's broke----see if YOU can fix before having someone else do the repairs

Lots of 'help' here
Lots of info available here and via goggle

But if no clue on stuff.....then mobile rv repair PRIOR to dealerr
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are two opposite schools of thought. My friend takes his vehicle into a dealer every 6 months and has it looked at. I do most of the work myself so I am familiar with the operation. For boondock camping it helps a lot to be able to fix stuff.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Check with a local mobile rv guy for a price.
Follow the guy around, ask questions. Then, do it yourself.
You Tube!!!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315