cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Explorer 4.6 v8 has no power to tow up mountains?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I intended to use my 2006 4.6 v8 Explorer to tow my driftboat/trailer with a few tires over the Cascades and Rockies this weekend. I hadn't even made it from Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass before I decided to turn around.

My guess is the driftboat/trailer with tires was still no more than 1500 lbs and probably closer to 1000. Those of you who tow with yours, should I expect high revs to maintain 65-70 going up mountains with this type of load? How many RPMs should I expect up to 6000 ft?

If not, what should I check? My 2006 Limited is AWD with 18 inch wheels. The tires are slightly larger than stock size.

NOTE: I took it to Montana using a F450 instead. Obviously, a bit overkill for a light towing load.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
36 REPLIES 36

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can't pull a drift boat over Snoqualmie Pass you do not have much of a tow vehicle. I believe towing at 5,000 rpms is a mistake.

Some people seem to do fine with that engine. I would suggest trying a lower gear and going slower.

My grandfather used to talk about driving over Snoqualmie when it was dirt and there were 38 stream crossings on the West Side.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
65-70 towing ANYWHERE in the state of washington is over the max limit of 60mph towing or a vehicle over 10K of any sort

True, but I've yet to see or heard of anyone stopped on I-90 for that towing violation. Along I-90, it's common for the trucks to exceed 60 as well in the 70 mph stretches. YMMV.

We need to get the werd out about this!!! Buncha 4 wheelers think 60 in the left lane is the limit too!! F WA drivers!! Most frustrating state I've lived in for clueless motorists.
I could insert a quote from an old comedian Andrew Dice Clay now. Something about blinded with dental floss.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, this 4.6L 3V is 292 Hp and 300 lbs of torque, has a 6 speed trans (6R60) with a first gear of 4.17:1 and a 3.55 open rear differential. For 2009 and 2010, the torque went up to 315 lbs and used the same trans as the f150, the 6R80 which has a stronger torque converter.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I intended to use my 2006 4.6 v8 Explorer to tow my driftboat/trailer with a few tires over the Cascades and Rockies this weekend. I hadn't even made it from Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass before I decided to turn around.

My guess is the driftboat/trailer with tires was still no more than 1500 lbs and probably closer to 1000. Those of you who tow with yours, should I expect high revs to maintain 65-70 going up mountains with this type of load? How many RPMs should I expect up to 6000 ft?

If not, what should I check? My 2006 Limited is AWD with 18 inch wheels. The tires are slightly larger than stock size.

NOTE: I took it to Montana using a F450 instead. Obviously, a bit overkill for a light towing load.

I had a 2008 Sport Trac 4WD w/4.6L 3V V8 and it towed my trailer just fine in very high winds and big hills in southern indiana and Kentucy.

Click here.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
As also mentioned in another post, with the RCW listed, 65-70 towing ANYWHERE in the state of washington is over the max limit of 60mph towing or a vehicle over 10K of any sort.

Marty

Interesting, the speed limit in our town's divided roadway, (a road with very limited direct access away from stop light controlled intersections, and no cross traffic). is 45 mph, where the average speed is typically 55 to 60. Quite frankly, it is irresponsible and dangerous to drive 45 MPH (or less) on the roadway. The majority of traffic is moving at a much faster rate. Sometimes, speed limits can be wrong, luckily Texas recognizes that and covers it with a Prima Facie law rather than absolute.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
65-70 towing ANYWHERE in the state of washington is over the max limit of 60mph towing or a vehicle over 10K of any sort

True, but I've yet to see or heard of anyone stopped on I-90 for that towing violation. Along I-90, it's common for the trucks to exceed 60 as well in the 70 mph stretches. YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

blt2ski
As also mentioned in another post, with the RCW listed, 65-70 towing ANYWHERE in the state of washington is over the max limit of 60mph towing or a vehicle over 10K of any sort.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree with a bunch of you folks.

65 to 70 in mountain passes seems quite an ambitious thought.

What is the hurry? i cannot even imagine maintaining that kind of speed climbing a mountain with a not so big motor and towing anything.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:
I even towed it from Chicago to Detroit and back to get an engine installed.

And how did it do on those mountains between Chicago and Detroit ?? :B
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
jimh425 wrote:
Sounds like some of you aren't familiar with a drift boat. The only motor is an electric along with the battery for that. I figured 200 lbs for the electric plus Group 24 batteries.

Once upon a time, I remember seeing the weight on the Willie site at around 325 for a 16x54. Mine does have the UMHW bottom, so figure some weight for that let's call it 500.

Yes, I was picturing something bigger. You are right, I would guess that your boat and trailer is 1000 pounds max. I would think that it would not slow down your Explorer much. I used to have a 2003 with the 4.6 and it would easily pull my 6x12 enclosed trailer. My mom has a newer Explorer with the V6 and she tows a heavily loaded 6x12 enclosed from the Seattle area to Montana a few times a year. It does fine, but she doesn't try to go 70 up the hills.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

With slightly larger tires, a 4-speed auto(?) and I'm guessing your 4.6 was the 220hp/265ft-lbs spec engine...I'd say at some points you'd be running in 2nd gear at a high RPM, probably mostly in 3rd Perfectly normal for those specs. You didn't mention your rear gear ratio and if that's set up for highway cruising you can expect your transmission to downshift when towing any kind of a load up any slight incline.

Wife's uncle had an older Chev with the 4.8 v8 and highway rear gears (3.08's I think) and that thing would scream up the hills towing his small trailer. Again, perfectly normal for that particular setup. If you want low RPM's when towing you need a diesel or large gasser with 5-10 speed auto.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I am more than surprised. My Explorer with the same engine/trans and towing package functioned as the daily tow vehicle for the below boat. I even towed it from Chicago to Detroit and back to get an engine installed. I towed on highway, hills, congested city roads (with AC on) and up steep slippery ramps and it never failed me:

Eventually I ended up with an Excursion Ltd V10/4.30 also (for my TT) but I still preferred the Explorer to tow boat with because it was more maneuverable in town. BTW I bought the boat from marina who said it was 6600#. After a few seasons I pulled it over scales and it was closer to 8K loaded full fluids/cargo (had twin 3.0L's)!!!

jimh425 wrote:
Thanks for all of the comments so far. It helps me understand what's going on.

I suppose I should expect more revs if I was to tow with it. I didn't tow with overdrive off. Sounds like that might have helped. I also didn't try Premium this trip although I do have a basic tuner to adjust for tire size and I believe I can change octane as well. The tires btw are barely larger than stock for the Limited model which I have. I also do have the factory tow package.

True that I've been driving a diesel of one form or the other for the past 11 years. Also, it sounds like my diesel will more easily do the job and even in F450 trim, I can expect better mpg than the Explorer at 4000 or more RPMs. Also, with less wear and tear.

Sounds like some of you aren't familiar with a drift boat. The only motor is an electric along with the battery for that. I figured 200 lbs for the electric plus Group 24 batteries.

Once upon a time, I remember seeing the weight on the Willie site at around 325 for a 16x54. Mine does have the UMHW bottom, so figure some weight for that let's call it 500.

I figured 400 lbs for the tires. Maybe it's high, but either way, it's not a heavy load for an Explorer that is rated to tow much more.

Here's a picture of the subject boat and trailer.

A video of a driftboat in action is below. In a river, it's about steering the boat with the oars. Nope, not mine.

If you don't like the music, hit mute before you watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htjBaOeRVUc
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Let it rev.

Overhead cam motors without turbos need to spin to make power, and at the same time, won't be hurt one bit maxed out. Your shift points are set short of the electronic rev limited, which is set well short of any mechanical limits. With better breathing and programming the 4.6L can wind out to 7,000 RPM.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my 2006 Explorer v8 4.6 3 valve for almost 10 years. I have towed various trailers anything from 3 to 6k lbs. The 6k was the most I would ever do even though it's rated to tow around 7100 lbs. But anything around 4-5 k it was pulling like a locomotive. I am still surprised how much tq this little 4.6 puts out. Now, I did most of it on flats of NY, NJ, PA and east cost with small and medium hills, but looking at that boat, I want to laugh - no offense, it should pull that like nothing.
And just FYI for all, that generation explorers, all v8's came with 3.55 and 6R tranny. The tow package just gave you the tranny cooler and 7 pin connector, and it would bump the tow rating from 3500 to 7200 lbs - weird.