cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wal Mart's Super Tech DEF?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the Wal Mart brand Super Tech DEF? If so, opinions?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
27 REPLIES 27

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said one stop shopping seems to make the most sense as when my DEF info comes on I have a 1000 miles to get it. Pull into most truck stops and do it all at the pump.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
I only use Peak or fill up at the pump. piece of mind and not worth the problems that can evolve

X2

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
I only use Peak or fill up at the pump. piece of mind and not worth the problems that can evolve
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Haven't used WAlly brand but I did use another cheap brand. I got repeated check engine lights for insufficient catalyst on a run to Minnesota and back. After that I drained the DEF tank and refilled with Peak Blue DEF. I haven't had a CEL since then.

It could be coincidence, but the few $$ savings isn't worth it to me now.

KJ
You either got old DEF, or DEF that was replaced with water. It had NOTHING to do with the brand.
ALL DEF is EXACTLY the same.

Yep, most likely old. The box was unopened so age was the most likely culprit. Like I said, it could have just been coincidence or some other factor. But, the track record I've had with Peak, the absence of issues using it, and the minimal cost difference doesn't make the cheap stuff worth the risk.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
why would anyone pay more than $2.89 a gallon for this stuff????? I've been getting mine from the truck stops for years. There is no magic here in this stuff it is all the same. your truck likely shows you when you are within 1000 miles of needing it so there is plenty of time to get it. Also I've never shopped at a WM and never will.

Yeah, I fill up at the pump too from time to time. The WalMart 2.5 gal jug works out to be $3.15 a gallon, which is the best deal I've found other than the pump. I have no problem shopping at WalMart
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing ................ DEF has a shelf life. Go to truck stop they have it as fresh as possible. 2 years on the shelf and this stuff is useless.
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
why would anyone pay more than $2.89 a gallon for this stuff????? I've been getting mine from the truck stops for years. There is no magic here in this stuff it is all the same. your truck likely shows you when you are within 1000 miles of needing it so there is plenty of time to get it. Also I've never shopped at a WM and never will.
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought alot of them from WalMart that had the crystals around the opening and the seals were not good and never had an issue. Multiple jugs on the shelf were that way.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Haven't used WAlly brand but I did use another cheap brand. I got repeated check engine lights for insufficient catalyst on a run to Minnesota and back. After that I drained the DEF tank and refilled with Peak Blue DEF. I haven't had a CEL since then.

KJ
You either got old DEF, or DEF that was replaced with water. It had NOTHING to do with the brand.
ALL DEF is EXACTLY the same.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

thd
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Super Tech DEF. You do have to be careful though, there is a Walmart near me and most of the jugs they have on the shelf usually are just water. You can tell when someone has refilled with water and returned it. Look for crystals around the cap, and ALWAYS take the cap off and check the seal. And use your finger to check the edges of the seal, most of the time the low lifes have tried to re-seal but you can tell its not a good seal.
I have warned the staff at the store of what I have seen, but they didn't seem to interested in it.
The Walmart on the other side of town doesn't seem to have the same low lifes shopping there!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

KJ

Good to know; the Peak is $11.88 and the Super Tech is $7.88, both are 2.5 gal jugs
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
On the one hand, the recipe for DEF is fixed in the law like no other product. The result is that one brand is identical to the next. No "secret ingredients" or "special sauce" is allowed.

On the other hand, some retailers have fallen prey to disreputable customers buying a jug, filling their truck, putting tap water back in the jug, then returning it for refund, with the result that when you go to the store, you need to check that the container still has intact factory seals, and if it does not, don't buy that one.

Other than that caveat, buy the cheapest you can find; it is all the same. Really.

aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Use that or pump DEF. No issues so far.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized