cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First post, first TT, first of many stupid questions.

JMGNole
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Tahoe, 5.3L, 2D. Max Trailer WT of 6,500lbs per Chevy VIN site, 6,600 on my door sticker. New tires, new brakes, new bushings, checked over by our mechanic to make sure that it was safe to pull a trailer.

We bought a lightly used 2014 Rockwood 2604WS, dry weight of 5,828lbs, per the sticker.

From reading, I'm not sure that we should be pulling this trailer with this vehicle. The truck is practically wheezing and very unstable. It has the sway bar installed and apparently working.

Frankly, we're rookies at this and we nearly lost it on the Interstate while driving it the 70 miles home from the dealer. Lane to lane sway, nearly rolled it.

After speaking to the dealer GM, we're being told that it should pull it easily and it's ours. They did offer to consign it, at a loss to us.

Not sure what to do next. Can I get some feedback?

Thanks!
54 REPLIES 54

toolinarnd
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others about tire pressure, but you stated that it started after being cut off, I was looking at the exact trailer for us and would have towed it with an f150 I'm wondering if your trailer brakes were not set properly as that would have caused the trailer to push the tow vech. all over the road until you let off the brakes and gave just a bit off throttle to pull it out straight. and they comments about your hitch and sway control not being enough is true. i got 1200# bars and dual cams for our north trail 26rlss.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see what brake controller you are using? A proportional controller like the Prodigy will make a WORLD of difference when braking.

First thing I did when reading your post was look at your location. I am in PA, you are quite a distance from here.

The things you describe are very common issues for the inexperienced towing person. Not to worry, though. An experienced person can look at your setup and in about 10 minutes suggest changes to pretty much eliminate the troubles you had.

What brand and model tire do you have on your TV? What is the max inflation on them, and what are you running in them?

Huge discussions all the time about using the max pressure on the tire vs the vehicle's door frame. The vehicle doesn't have any way of knowing what the construction or brand or style of tire you are running, so it cannot possibly be the final say on inflation 😉

Another hint: If your tires have "P" in the numbers, they aren't going to be good for towing near the top end of its capacity. Another easy fix 😉

Do you know anyone locally who has had a camper for a while? They probably have some good input 😉

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
If the picture of the trailer you posted a few posts above is your trailer attached to your truck, it looks like the trailer is a little nose high. That, in itself, can cause sway. I think someone already suggested it, but before you do anything drastic, get the WD hitch manual and set up the hitch yourself. See if that helps your problem. You have enough tongue weight with that trailer. My only other concern would be (and I already mentioned it) is that the WD hitch they sold you is probably too light for that trailer. The tanks and storage area are in front of the axle. That model is, by nature, tongue heavy.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

limitswitch
Explorer
Explorer
We had some sway issues with our 27' TT with a F150 TV. Weight distribution was setup correctly by me. The dealer did not have it setup correctly. We had friction anti-sway bars and we replaced the hitch setup with a Reese dual cam. Loved it. We eventually upgraded to an F250 with more bells and whistles (backup camera). It is a totally different experience pulling now. I feel like now that I am pulling the TT instead of the TT pushing me.
2016 F250 6.2L V8
2016 Forest River Wildwood 27RKSS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JMGNole wrote:

The tires are the prescribed tires, properly inflated, and brand new that morning.

The trailer was empty, except for the furnishings and water.

The extreme sway event was caused by us being undercut in traffic.

I'm not surprised and can be very typical handling issues on brand new tires. Tread roll till the tires are broke in can be common.
I've seen 3/4 and one ton truck owners with 5th wheel trailers complain about TAIL WAGGIN' THE DOG issues with brand new tires on the truck.
New tires can take several hundred or several thousand miles to break in. And many times this issue can be felt when not pulling a trailer. I'm sure other factors are working here but at some point the combo can be fine tuned to eliminate those type events.

GM was notorious for using 6.5" wide wheels on 1/2 and even 3/4 ton trucks. Then add a tire like a 265/70-17 that can have a 8"-8.5" wide tread. This balloons the tires tread causing it to ride the center of the tread especially at higher pressures. Same type handling when towing a trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Just for a moment, take a step back -- here is a glimpse of the future -- you will eventually work out your towing issues. You are going to have more fun with this trailer than you ever thought possible. Your current difficulties will seem pretty minor in the rear view mirror.

Hang in there -- it's all going to work out!

I would like to second this sentiment. It may seem very daunting now, especially after all of us rainmakers, but it's very doable. 🙂
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

JMGNole
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is in another county.
HOA restrictions. This probably won't help either.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
JMGNole wrote:
Some asked me to post a pic of the hitch.

I could be wrong looking at the pic ,but the chains should be crossed in an "X" pattern.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough. Although your picture helps, what I was suggesting is post a picture of your whole "wagon train" (ie. trailer and tow vehicle) on level ground. This will give people some idea of how you setup things. Your picture does help a bit as it give a close up of the hitch ... but also important is the "final result" and impact on the overall "wagon train" for things like sag, hump, etc. My guess based on your info is that the bars are a little light for your trailer most likely resulting in sag of the overall tow vehicle.

JMGNole
Explorer
Explorer
Some asked me to post a pic of the hitch.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for a moment, take a step back -- here is a glimpse of the future -- you will eventually work out your towing issues. You are going to have more fun with this trailer than you ever thought possible. Your current difficulties will seem pretty minor in the rear view mirror.

Hang in there -- it's all going to work out!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
It may be cheaper to replace the Tahoe than the brand new trailer.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the trailer, you are towing with a short wheelbase SUV, and you need a GOOD hitch. I would recommend Andersen or Equalizer, with combined sway control and weight distribution.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

JMGNole
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll follow that thread.