cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CCrane $150 Shortwave? Worth The Money?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
USA news has dropped into a landfill - it's either hobnail conservative or wackystraigtjacket grade alpha X chromosome dominant.

Soooo, putting a shortwave radio on the seemingly endless list of togets may be in my future. But I had a $250 Radio Shack digital back in the eighties that was pathetic. Sensitive as a brick.

I guess I will need an external antenna. But my knowledge is showing. I need to study optimum antenna length and orientation. Some of the sites I visited were Klingon - Vulcan grade hyper sophisticated meaning out of my league. I used to get a kick out of listening to Radio Moscow (USSR sponsor, perfume, "Essence of Tractor"). But when the subject of "wall" comes up I'd rather it be a product of Pink Floyd, and "MARCH" be concerned with the month. Having endured 13 different presidents I'd rather limit my dosage to micrograms of politics.

CCrane offers a large shortwave with a 5" speaker that sounds interesting. But by the time shipping and taxes gore the sale, I'm looking at $180. Any actual experiences out there?

Satellite radio does not work down here. Even with external antenna and amplifier so save your breath. Great music until the death hiss.
17 REPLIES 17

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Mex, you're going about the radio thing all wrong. Before next winter, move to Fairbanks, AK and move into a 12' x 60' metal trailer house like I grew up in. Then a night when it's -60F, put a cheap transister radio in the corner of the trailer next to your pillow and you can pick up radio from all over the word. Having the radio tucked in the corner of the the trailer is as good as wrapping the antenna cable around the radio. Make sure you don't turn it up too loud or your mother will hear it and take it away from you.

Bill

Maybe when I was at 10 years of age I could have done something like that. I need to get back to the tropics because of my arthritis. My brother and I used to listen to radio Moscow propaganda on grandad's Zenith. I think our politicians used Radio Moscow as training wheels to learn how to lie without blushing.

But the CCrane is going into the Hopeful/Wishful list. First expense will be $250 for 2 Michelins from Costco. Boy are they ever going to be surprised being dumb enough to offer a 95,000 mile tread wearout guarantee. Hoooey not with my toad.

I've never listened to shortwave grade music. Is it "listenable"?

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I've still got my Grundig Satellit 6001 analogue tuner and A Grundig Yachtboy YB400PE digital tuner. They are great radios, if somebodies talking, they will pick it up.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mex, you're going about the radio thing all wrong. Before next winter, move to Fairbanks, AK and move into a 12' x 60' metal trailer house like I grew up in. Then a night when it's -60F, put a cheap transister radio in the corner of the trailer next to your pillow and you can pick up radio from all over the word. Having the radio tucked in the corner of the the trailer is as good as wrapping the antenna cable around the radio. Make sure you don't turn it up too loud or your mother will hear it and take it away from you.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
orientation is reasonably important if the signal is weak to start with. ideally you want the antenna to be oriented perpendicular to the stations you want to recieve. for example if your looking at picking up stations in canada and your in mexico, the antenna oriented east/west is better than north/south.
Looking for london or asia, then north/south is better. or compromise and go northwest to southeast.

that said, being off 90 degrees doesn't kill the signal strength, just reduces it from optimum.

What I have is a long wire as wa8yxm mentions for each of the 4 bands I use, open at one end, connected together at the other end going the antenna input and a connection to a ground stake for the ground side.

but then the long whip that is on my zenith transoceanic does pretty good job by itself.

when out camping I've used one long wire tossed over trees, whichever direction is handy.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I assssssssume type of metal is immaterial? Anyone have a coiling roll of stainless steel braided wire?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Orientation will affect it.. I use a 2 pound weight on a string and the "David and Goliath" method..

Some RV parks will object to tossing wires over tree limbs

I also use a 50' Wire run up a fishing pole to a flag pole I "Attach" (park on base) to the front of the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When the lights go out I have my NOOK. But with Tel Mex Banda Ancha being so weak even basic telephone internet is impossible. I remember my grandfather's Zenith Transoceanic shortwave that had a scary expensive 37 volt dry cell battery. So battery drain is a concern and so is transport over horrible roads. When I go to Guatemala, 70% of the population speaks Quiche, the remainder espaรฑol or roachclip.
I love listening to political propaganda (except for Republican and Democrat).

British Parliament is a real trip: "Hunga Hunga Unk unk". "Reasonable" Radio China, spewing Central Committee Hogwash. Al Jeezera tightrope walking between suicide vest and Predator strike listener reaction.

Because of logistics I should ask about "The Preferable Way" to haul and erect 100' of antenna wire. Is orientation absolutely critical?

Looks like the CCrane $150 unit goes into the Santa Wish List box. Guatemalan Customs is snotty therefore all my electronic playtoys have to stay in Michoacan. Reading material where I will summer seems to focus on "White Widow or Tora Borah Mind Meld Which One Wins The Blue Ribbon?"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
you might want to consider picking up an OLD SW radio from ebay that has been tuned up. I have a Zeinth Transoceanic that has great sensitivity, easy to tune to parts of the SW bands that have broadcast. In the summer evenings I've listed to radio australia football games.

Downside these old radio's are tube type, but tubes are still available and last a long time. Upside is they are also battery powered which is pretty handy, and battery packs are easy to make. 60AA's and 6 D cells and you will get 500+ hours out of the D's more out of the AA's.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem with Internet Radio (Which I do use by the way) is ... It don't work if you don't have internet.

But a good Shortwave Receiver.. WILL.

http://carshortwaveradio.com/
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
When my CCrane am/fm/sw radio failed last year I bought a cheaper radio with the same bands thinking it would work just as well. It's mostly used to listen to somewhat distant am or fm while in the Quartzsite area. The new radio picked up zero channels where the CCrane radio was able to pick up several. CCrane radios are expensive but they do indeed work better than cheaper ones.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to be a well liked brand that gets some good reviews.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
bcsdguy wrote:
Wow Fizz, I clicked on your link and the first thing it said was "this app doesn't work on your device". Oh well.

Try this link.
That app should work everywhere.
I've tried a few and this is my favorite.

https://mytuner-radio.com/
Scroll to the bottom and take your pick.

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Fizz, I clicked on your link and the first thing it said was "this app doesn't work on your device". Oh well.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.