cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap Handling Fix - Where?

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Ford F53 V10 Itasca Suncruiser. Would like to check out the cheap handling fix which so many people have done. I keep hearing positive things about this modification. I don't feel comfortable doing this myself, but I have yet to find an RV shop that is willing to do it. Some (in particular Camping World) have yet to ever hear about the CHF. Any suggestion on where to go have this modification done if you don't want to do it yourself?? :h
26 REPLIES 26

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to check with Ford but I was hoping to find them on line and avoid a trip to town. I'll let you know what happens. I've looked at everything else and can not find the source of the popping with body roll. Z bracket is my next try. I sure can't see that it will potentially cause any harm.

Once I get the popping resolved I'll move forward with the CHF but don't want to make too many changes at one time.

Try here: Ford Part No.: F81Z-5L496-AA
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I'm going to check with Ford but I was hoping to find them on line and avoid a trip to town. I'll let you know what happens. I've looked at everything else and can not find the source of the popping with body roll. Z bracket is my next try. I sure can't see that it will potentially cause any harm.

Once I get the popping resolved I'll move forward with the CHF but don't want to make too many changes at one time.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:
I haven't ever heard of anyone installing the Z brackets on the front bottom. I don't want to add doom and gloom but that seems a little risky. If you have popping I would identify the root cause of that and not modify the design to attempt to cover it up. Might be a recipe for failure. But that's me. You'll notice, each place there is a Z bracket there are 2 bolts to secure the connection. If you add it to the bottom you can't do that. Because it's not designed to go there. Not to mention it would add another point of flex which may erode any advantage you had of doing chf in the first place. Good luck.

I guess I just don't understand your concern. Mounting Z brackets on the front bottom would be exactly like they are mounted on the rear bottom. Using the existing link bolt and the extra hole in the sway bar. you can see the hole in the first picture. How is the front and rear different?

I don't think the extra hole in the bottom is for a Z bracket. I think it's simply to move the adjustment. I have never seen it done. Seems like if it was supposed to be there it would already be there. Not saying it can't be done I have just have never seen or heard about it and wondering if there is any benefit to doing it versus risk.

Read my response at the top of page 3. I guess we were typing at the same time.

Ok. Again, never said it couldn't be, I have just never seen it. I see what you are saying, and if it fits then seems like it would add integrity to the link as opposed to taking it away like I said in my original comment. As far as where to source the bracket, seems like it could be ordered from Ford or a dealer. But I have no idea. Curious to see how it goes. Thanks for the info. I learned something today.
2013 ACE 29.2

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the TSB indicates the Z brackets were originally intended to resolve the exact problem I'm having. Additionally, the TSB specifies a Z bracket on each end of the sway bar link and shows exactly how to install them.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:
I haven't ever heard of anyone installing the Z brackets on the front bottom. I don't want to add doom and gloom but that seems a little risky. If you have popping I would identify the root cause of that and not modify the design to attempt to cover it up. Might be a recipe for failure. But that's me. You'll notice, each place there is a Z bracket there are 2 bolts to secure the connection. If you add it to the bottom you can't do that. Because it's not designed to go there. Not to mention it would add another point of flex which may erode any advantage you had of doing chf in the first place. Good luck.

I guess I just don't understand your concern. Mounting Z brackets on the front bottom would be exactly like they are mounted on the rear bottom. Using the existing link bolt and the extra hole in the sway bar. you can see the hole in the first picture. How is the front and rear different?

I don't think the extra hole in the bottom is for a Z bracket. I think it's simply to move the adjustment. I have never seen it done. Seems like if it was supposed to be there it would already be there. Not saying it can't be done I have just have never seen or heard about it and wondering if there is any benefit to doing it versus risk.

Read my response at the top of page 3. I guess we were typing at the same time.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:

2013 ACE 29.2

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:

I guess I just don't understand your concern. Mounting Z brackets on the front bottom would be exactly like they are mounted on the rear bottom. Using the existing link bolt and the extra hole in the sway bar. You can see the hole in the bottom left corner of the first picture. How is the front and rear different?

Google Ford TSB 04-11-02 and you'll see how Ford says to install the Z bracket on both ends of the link. Sorry, I'd post a link to the TSB but it's a PDF file and I don't know how to attach it here.

TSB

Maybe this will work.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
2013 ACE 29.2

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer

Here's a couple of pix. The first is the front and the second is the rear.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:

Not really sure what you are talking about. There are no Z brackets on the bottom of the front - where you would be doing the actual work. Maybe yours is unique. And I am not sure how they would be at the top either. The front sway bar is sort of a U shape that goes through bushings on the frame. There is no Z bracket bolted connection point. Are you sure you are looking at the sway bar?

You are correct. There are no Z brackets on the bottom of the front. Hence the question regarding a source for the brackets to hopefully resolve my popping from the front.

I do have Z brackets on the top and bottom of the rear sway bar and Z brackets on the top of the front link. I'm wanting to install Z brackets on the bottom of the front link. The rear bottom Z brackets are installed using the extra hole in the sway bar. I would install the front bottom Z bracket similarly using the extra hole in the front sway bar the same as the rear.

Also, the sway bars on mine are mounted thru bushings attached to the axle and not to the frame as you described.

I suppose I could post pictures. However, you can rest assured that I have Z brackets on both link ends on the rear and only on the top end of the front links.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Sit back and enjoy.

My 2006 chassis has the added "Z" bars either from the factory or a previous owner. However, they ar...

More CHF Reading

A lot of folks on there doom and glooming about failure. Can't say I've ever heard of a single sway bar failure from CHF. Not a single one.

Z brackets are only on the rear. They are stock from the factory and not an add on. The front bolts directly to the sway bar. Did you watch the video that was posted a while ago?

The modification is using purely stock parts.

the CHF is leveraging an "option' that is put there by Ford. The F53 chassis is used for lots of applications, not just MH's. So they add a sway bar with additional holes so it can be adjusted depending on the chassis' use. When the chassis leaves the factory they are all set to the softer setting. It's unfortunate that MH manufacturers don't change it at the factory. So many people would prefer the firmer setting. Anyway, all you are doing is changing the stiffness of the bar by putting into the other set of holes. Don't over think it, it's really that simple. It's an adjustment that is available to you from the factory. Move it from one set of holes to the other. On the rear, flip the bracket to set it more firm. It does nothing to the harshness of the ride, but it really eliminates a lot of sway, wander and truck push.

"Z" brackets were NOT STOCK on earlier F53 chassis. I don't remember the years and don't know if they were factory on mine or if they had to be added. At any rate. I have them on the top (chassis end) of the front link but not on the bottom (bar end) of the front link. They are on both ends of the links on the rear sway bar.

I'm experiencing some "popping" in the front end when the body rolls and I'm thinking it may be a result of the "missing" Z brackets. I've looked at around a million photos but no videos. I was just wondering if someone knew where I could get some "Z" brackets to install on the bottom of the front sway bar links.

Not really sure what you are talking about. There are no Z brackets on the bottom of the front - where you would be doing the actual work. Maybe yours is unique. And I am not sure how they would be at the top either. The front sway bar is sort of a U shape that goes through bushings on the frame. There is no Z bracket bolted connection point. Are you sure you are looking at the sway bar?

Mike Brez posted a link to the video on this thread on 03/22.
2013 ACE 29.2

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Sit back and enjoy.

More CHF Reading

A lot of folks on there doom and glooming about failure. Can't say I've ever heard of a single sway bar failure from CHF. Not a single one.

My 2006 chassis has the added "Z" bars either from the factory or a previous owner. However, they are not on the front connecting link sway bar end. They are on the front chassis end of the connecting link. Should they be on both ends of the link and do you know where I can get them?

Z brackets are only on the rear. They are stock from the factory and not an add on. The front bolts directly to the sway bar. Did you watch the video that was posted a while ago?

the CHF is leveraging an "option' that is put there by Ford. The F53 chassis is used for lots of applications, not just MH's. So they add a sway bar with additional holes so it can be adjusted depending on the chassis' use. When the chassis leaves the factory they are all set to the softer setting. It's unfortunate that MH manufacturers don't change it at the factory. So many people would prefer the firmer setting. Anyway, all you are doing is changing the stiffness of the bar by putting into the other set of holes. Don't over think it, it's really that simple. It's an adjustment that is available to you from the factory. Move it from one set of holes to the other. On the rear, flip the bracket to set it more firm. It does nothing to the harshness of the ride, but it really eliminates a lot of sway, wander and truck push.

"Z" brackets were NOT STOCK on earlier F53 chassis. I don't remember the years and don't know if they were factory on mine or if they had to be added. At any rate. I have them on the top (chassis end) of the front link but not on the bottom (bar end) of the front link. They are on both ends of the links on the rear sway bar.

I'm experiencing some "popping" in the front end when the body rolls and I'm thinking it may be a result of the "missing" Z brackets. I've looked at around a million photos but no videos. I was just wondering if someone knew where I could get some "Z" brackets to install on the bottom of the front sway bar links.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Sit back and enjoy.

More CHF Reading

My 2006 chassis has the added "Z" bars either from the factory or a previous owner. However, they are not on the front connecting link sway bar end. They are on the front chassis end of the connecting link. Should they be on both ends of the link and do you know where I can get them?

2013 ACE 29.2

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Sit back and enjoy.

More CHF Reading

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU