cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carefree of Colorado awning part

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Carefree 12 volt One-Touch awning over my entry door. Apparently Carefree no longer makes a powered door awning and one dealer I've talked to has never seen one over a door. Anyway, the gas strut on mine is worn out and I am trying to replace it with something comparable. BTW, Carefree no longer carries the strut and does not know the PSI either.

Does anyone know of a supplier for it or its PSI? I see several on Amazon but the PSI is pretty important in keeping it from flopping in the wind when it's extended.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
13 REPLIES 13

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info and pic. Glad you found the strut!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a picture of my front door and the awning. You will notice that the arms are almost as long as the main awning arms so I can't see that being used over a window. As Doug said, the front arm is also angled to fit the contour of the entry door. It is electric and works almost the same as my main awning to extend and retract. The gas struts are located on the lower part of each arm. They are 9 inches long extended and about 5 inches collapsed. You can also see a similar picture in my profile.

BTW, I did find a Carefree retail shop that sells the original strut and I don't have to buy the whole arm.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Mile High wrote:
So is that actually just a window awning they used on the door?

No, it is a box type with a motor. Doug
No, I think I have the box type, and they are still in production and don't use a strut. I'm talking about the one Executive posted, which is a Carefree electric window awning that they may have used for the door. I ask, because I was about to go on the hunt for that type of awning for my windows, but if they no longer make it, I may have to go to the box type.

I looked up his sig model. I have never seen that type Carefree with a motor. ALL the Monaco's we sold and I worked on had that style but were manual pull out no motor. They are NOT really window awning model with a motor as the arms had to be angled to fit the entrance door. Window awnings(motorized) will have straight arms. That may have been a Monaco Sig series exclusive from Carefree. He should be able to get a strut aftermarket. I doubt it is a hi psi strut. Doug

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good luck with Carefree---neighbor had awning motor go bad. They could not provide motor or any info on where to find it. Part No. was gone. After a year of wild goose chases, wrong motor being sent, etc he paid $300 to have the motor rebuilt. No its not the typical "window motor" option.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Mile High wrote:

No, I think I have the box type, and they are still in production and don't use a strut. I'm talking about the one Executive posted, which is a Carefree electric window awning that they may have used for the door. I ask, because I was about to go on the hunt for that type of awning for my windows, but if they no longer make it, I may have to go to the box type.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
The struts are not sold separately you have to replace the entire arm
You MAY be able to find the strut alone on Ebay. Odd way to do it though.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
The struts are not sold separately you have to replace the entire arm

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tinstar, there should be a number on the existing strut..you most likely will have to remove it..no biggie. With the number you can search for the replacement. I replace the two that raise my engine compartment several years ago. Good luck...Dennis

Well, duh! Just checked your profile. Assuming you still have the Windsor, call Monaco. They may be able to give you all the info you need. They'll need the coach number, (located on the RVIA sticker) or the last 6 digits of your VIN. Their number is 800-509-3417.

Here is the manual if you don't already have it. Reading through it, I was unable to find the info you need. For Monaco products try giving Northwest RV supply a call at(541)746-9092. They purchased all of Monaco's inventory when they left Eugene. They have stuff no one else has. They may be able to help...D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Check with PPL, parts division in Texas. If anyone has one hanging around, it will be them and if not, they have all the old fiche to look up the info.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks but that is a different style awning that what I have. That is a Marquee and mine is a One-Touch. Mine has the two upright braces that angle out when the awning unrolls. I don't think that one uses a gas strut.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Crefree still makes them. Here is a link...Carefree OTD Power Awning

Not sure what otd awning you have but here is a " discontinued " list and part numbers.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us