cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

alternator exchange or rebuild

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
this is the alternator I wish to have serviced and or replaced with a newer or better alternator. It came of a 1986 Holiday Rambler with a 454 Chevy motor.

20 REPLIES 20

MrWizard
rebuild looking pretty nice

hope it serves you well
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
after getting it back form the store I used some high gloss clear paint ratted for around 450 deg

bobman
Explorer
Explorer
have it rebuilt by a reputable shop, auto parts stores remans are poor quality

mine failed i put in a auto parts store replacement it failed , the next one did as well

the third one I took to a good local rebuilder and he found a couple things incorrectly done and fixed them that one is still running 4 years later

MrWizard
your link is to the rebuilder
there is NO picture of your alternator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture of the back. Notice the two terminals for the output. It is a duel output model, I took it to a place in Orlando called "Central Florida Remanufacturey"

http://centralfloridaremanufactory.com/starters-alternators-rebuild

located on Washington Street, the youngest guy there was around 40. H esaid "I relly like them old things, Ya i can fix it better then new". It was 145 dollars. everything is new.

I also will post some of it restored.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Mine quit in Yuma (2008) and I had it rebuilt by a local shop. It's been working fine for about 50Kmi since rebuilt.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Older generators often needed rebuilding but the design of the Alternator eliminates most of the things that wore out

Brushes.. Back then they brushed a "Commutator" which is a ring of bars Today it's slip rings, solid rings, much less wear

Bearings.. yes they do wear out

Diodes sometimes fail

And unless yours is a fancy one with built in electronics that's all folks

I'd say rebuild..... I used to take one of mine to the rebuild shop when it needed it..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I didnt post a pic of the connections side It is a duel out put model. When I looked on line the Pentax company came up. I typed in the serial number and nothing came up.
I am guessins "sons of Norway" has about the same thing, as our old ones are just about the same. I am taking it to a place just off old winter Garden road in orlando this week that was recomended by a mechanic that looked at it

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
On most modern alternators there's not much to rebuild. Either the housing, pulley, and fan are serviceable, or they are not. Same for the rotor and stator. They are generally not repaired, just cleaned and resealed, or replaced. If not too worn, the slip rings on the rotor can be turned smooth on a lathe and reused. The brushes, bearings, and voltage regulator are usually replaced, but not necessarily so on "white box" budget rebuilds.

All bets are off with the latest generation alternators (not yours) which are electronically output controlled by the ECU.

You can usually buy a new unit, a rebuilt unit, or repair your own based on your budget, location, and what you are comfortable working with.

Chum lee

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
When my alternator froze and shredded the belt, I spent hours calling places in Florida. Finally Lazy days gave me a number to a rebuilder in Tampa who had a new one on the shelf at a very reasonable price. Don't recall there name but Lazy days said they use them regularly. Give them a call. If they can't help PM me and I will see if I can find my receipt.
Blessings; Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say DIY rebuild or just get a NEW one. A DIY rebuild you'll be sure to change out the parts and not just rely on some company to "do the right job". Often they won't change the bearings if they are not seized. To do the job right, change the bearings, regulator (if applicable), and brushes. Not hard to do but you may need a couple of tools to get the bearings out.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the alternator to Napa and see if they can get you a replacement with the same specifications.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I can't make out the model# from your picture. That may be a dual-output alternator. Don't just go out and buy an alternator from some kid at an auto parts store. Find an old-timer who knows those systems. Try calling Penntex. They also have a cross-reference chart on their website. I talked to someone there once. I also have a Lestek on my HR.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My alternator went out on the first trip I made 12 years ago. I think the OEM one was 110 AMPS. The shop by the CG I was staying at could not find a replacement so they installed a rewound 180 AMP alternator, and still charges at 14.1 volts 12 years and 80 k miles later.