cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guadalajara Bypass Wonderful!!!!

Talleyho69
Heading north today, took the new cuota. It's amazing. Can't wait until the rest of it is open. It dumped us heading toward the Periferico Sur below the airport. Went toward town, and joined the Perifico Sur. End result-it took about the same amount of time, but the wear and tear on us was SO much less! We were only on the P. Sur from the airport road to the Nogales/Tepic road, and it only took 25 minutes. Hell, yes, but a huge improvement. The total cost for a dually bus was 55p. Saved much more than that on our physical and mental wear and tear.
7 REPLIES 7

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct. The Cajititlan route does have topes. In fact it was kind of funny - last time we drove it - I think last year - there were people out there painting them and they had collection cups/cans asking for donations. The painting was going very slowly and we noted one guy was out painting one tope for a couple of weeks. We were staying at Roca Azul and had to fly in and out so found ourselves on that route a few times and the painting continued. Taking the route from Roca Azul to Ajijic and then up to the airport has over 30 topes. You can't win. We prefer Cajititlan because there is less traffic and a wider road much of the way. The new road will being taking a similar route but will go south of Lake Cajititlan I think - and of course we don't expect there to be topes. It will be more mile to bypass Guadalajara but should be a lot less traffic. They have been working on that new road for quite a few years and it can easily be seen on Google Earth. I would think most of the major work should be done by now (bridges etc.).

rztravelerUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I drove Jal 113 north of Cajititlan there were topes almost the entire length and took me over an hour to drive the 24 or so miles. Are the topes still there? It was a few years ago and after this experience I never drove it again but used the Guadalajara Periférico which I hate driving, and we all know why. Ron
Ron

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to make the OSM map a little more detailed as I am not clear on what you did.

Sounds like you were headed toward Guadalajara on 15D and turned off to take the new road which I think may be called 80D - an extension of old 80D.

It then goes down toward the intersection of 35 and 23 north of Chapala where apparently it now ends - though Google Earth does show the road that will go west from there is under construction.

At this point it sounds as though you then took 23 back north toward Guadalajara and picked up the old periferico around Guadalajara.

There is a good wide road - mostly 2 lanes in each direction - which goes across the north side of Lake Cajititlan over toward 15 and 54D - it is number 113.

You can then take the extension of 113 which is then numbered 601 all the way through Tala and avoid Guadalajara altogether. It does go through some towns and light traffic and a couple traffic lights but it avoids Guadalajara.

This 601 sort of goes the same basic direction the new road will be going - but the new road of course will be limited access. Two maps below. The new road is shown as one of the RED roads.

This is the new road to the southeast of Guadalajara showing 15D - 80D - 23 - 35

Click For Full-Size Image.

This shows 113 going across the north side of Cajititlan.

This shows 601 going from Mex15 up toward Tala.

Talleyho69
The road started at Km marker 467 heading north on 15D. We were forced off of it at the road that goes to Chapala in one direction, and to the airport in the other. It was obvious that the road was very close to completion ahead of where we got off, and work was being done.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the latest shown on Open Street Maps. I can't tell from your post or from the map what is now complete. Does it now go up from 54D through to Tala to El Arenal? Does it now cross over by Cajititlan? Is it completely complete or still just sections? I wonder if there will be more tolls added over time? They would be smart to make it free to keep more traffic away from Guadalajara.

Talleyho69
Why not?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Talleyho69 wrote:
Heading north today, took the new cuota. It's amazing. Can't wait until the rest of it is open. It dumped us heading toward the Periferico Sur below the airport. Went toward town, and joined the Perifico Sur. End result-it took about the same amount of time, but the wear and tear on us was SO much less! We were only on the P. Sur from the airport road to the Nogales/Tepic road, and it only took 25 minutes. Hell, yes, but a huge improvement. The total cost for a dually bus was 55p. Saved much more than that on our physical and mental wear and tear.

55 pesos? That's a deal isn't it? We need to get back to Jalisco.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog