cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on LED lights

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have any experience with RECPRO.COM?
24 REPLIES 24

kjenckes
Explorer
Explorer
I've done this to my fluoro lites in 2 campers now. Cut the ballast out, attach + and - wires accordingly. I did have to use some 3M tape between the fixture and the crappy tape on the strips though to get them to stay. They are generic, Chinese, strips that you buy for $8 or $10 bucks a roll. I am very happy with them.

Click For Full-Size Image.

These are the ones I bought to do my so called reading lights in the bed area:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NA85P1S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were $16.75 for the pair.

These are the ones for the regular square or rectangular RV lights and were $11.99 for a 10 pack as compared to $16- for a pair at Walmart:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013S9O316/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been very happy with all of these and have not seen any interference at all.
1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3PSD 445,000 miles!
6/1 springs
3400# tires

2005 Lance 820
Solar, Generator, AC

1997 Ranger 487 Bass Boat
Too much stuff to list

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with AnEv942.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Not Reddog1 but fixture linked is designed to work on a 12v or 24v system.
Input voltage can be any where from 8v to 30volts.
So yes, good candidate for replacement or addition.

Nice light-I have an older ThinLite single 12" florescent thats been on the replacement roundtoit list for ever.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1

I think you may have just answered a question I had when I was considering buying a light replacement from Amazon.

It said it was 12v-24 volt, but then when you scrolled down further, it said 30 volt. I took that as a bad thing, but perhaps that's what we need after all.

If you wouldn't mind checking out this link and offering your opinion, I would surely appreciate it.

Amazon 12v light fixture

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Mine have never interfered with anything.
Bob

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Be apprised that if you buy cheapo LED replacement bulbs, they may interfere with you am/fm radio or audio visual components in the camper. The chepo ones emit stray RF.

I tend to buy only CREE, which is top shelf in quality and price.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP , no experience with that company . From the comments by others I guess I have been lucky . I purchased 10 LED bulbs from USA ebay seller 2years ago for 14 bucks . When first installed I left them on for 72 hours . They have been used on converter , truck charge and battery . They all still work . It was a worthwhile experiment .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased replacement LED lights for my all my TC lights from Jirahled in 2006, I think. They've been fine since then with no failures.

I recommend them.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Back in 2009 I upgraded my lights to LED from this vendor. The owner owns a truck camper from what I recall and knows his stuff about LEDs. Lifetime warranty

I recently replaced my truck headlights with this LED from the same vendor.

That's the ones i also use, put them in both TC's
We've owned
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
s1214 wrote:
Has anyone done business with that company?
This person has
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
No, but probably ok. Navigating the site odd-
operating, it appears, under 4 different business names.
Did find a street address under the privacy link-
They do have store front on Amazon also if concerned with ordering from site. I wouldn't hesitate to order thru RecPro if I wanted one of their products.
Amazon
Amazon shows 98% positive of almost 2000 ratings.

Double dome light at Amz

Your link was to their lighting section though you didn't mention what product you were looking at. Lights themselves seem equiv. to what is offered elsewhere. Lumens output similar. Like that the led bulbs are not part of fixture, (some are not replaceable). Don't like, on the double dome ceiling fixture, just an on/off switch, both sides on or off instead of one side, off or both sides.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
All good information, but still missing one piece.....
Has anyone done business with that company?

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Back in 2009 I upgraded my lights to LED from this vendor. The owner owns a truck camper from what I recall and knows his stuff about LEDs. Lifetime warranty

I recently replaced my truck headlights with this LED from the same vendor.

I did also after purchasing some cheap short lived, glaring bulbs... they are expensive, but well worth it to me.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Yukoners wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I have learned a simple lesson. If the L.E.D. does not state 9 to 30 volt, do not buy it. The 9 to 30 volt L.E.D.s have a builtin voltage regulator.

Wayne

Great info that explains a lot. In all my research and changing over our AF990 I never understood this.
You could say "the light just came on!"
Thanks Wayne.
You are welcome.

As has been posted, you don't have to change the complete fixture. I initially used my OEM (1988) fixtures, but the lens were starting to crack so I replaced the fixtures.

I think it is worth knowing, you can get the L.E.D.s in a bulb configuration, and flat boards. I have both but prefer the boards. They direct the light straight down, giving more usable light. Typically the boards are cheaper.

The most important thing is the voltage. As I previously posted, 9 to 30 volts. Almost every L.E.D. I bought that said 12 volts burned out in a short period of time. How short depends on frequency of use. If you question this, turn one of the 12 volt only on for a week. The charger in your RV/TC will go as high as 14.4 to 14.8 volts. Sometimes, not often, the L.E.D.s will be advertised as 12 volt. When you read the specs, if they don't say 9 to 30 volts my suggestion is to stay away.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke