cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin Tire Issue

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q-U1 (F53 26K chassis) with Michelin 255/80R 22.5 XRV tires on both axles. The MH has 11,000+ mostly interstate miles on it. After pulling into our current park a few days ago the parking assistance noticed that the two front axle tires were severely worn on the outer edge with the left front tire being the worst...the steel belts are just about ready to show. This is my first experience with Michelin tires as well as with 22.5-inch tires. Both of our previous MHs had Goodyear tires with which we were very happy and gave us excellent service and miles.

I noticed no excessive handling issues leading up to the discovery. I did have a steering stabilizer (Blue Ox TruCenter) installed just before we left on our current trip (early March). Pressure is set per inflation tables. From what I can see the dualies on the rear axle seem ok.

Several folks in the park who claim they have the necessary experience tell me it is not an alignment issue, not the fault of the steering stabilizer but rather a poor tire. One urged me to get Toyo tires, another suggested BF Goodrich. One of the local tire shops that deal in 22.5 tires suggests going with Michelins. Since I had good service from Goodyear I am leaning towards the G670s but the shop says while they will sell them to me they will not warrant them. A quick search of the forums seems to suggest that the Michelins are a poor tire but there are those who love the Michelins and hate the other brands. Needless to say the options, along with what might have happened had the discovery not been made, are spinning in my head.

I'm looking to replace these tires with a quality tire. Price is not an issue as I don't believe in scrimping on tires but I do believe in value.

Questions:

- looking for thoughtful, reasoned opinions on the replacement tires.

- I'm planning on having the 4-rear tires examined and if OK I'll leave them be. Any reason not to?

- I'm going to have the front-end re-aligned post tire purchase. I'm also having the Blue Ox TruCenter examined to make sure it was installed correctly and is operating properly. Is there any reason to suspect a bad alignment or the TruCenter as the proximate cause of the tire issue?

- We're currently in Phoenix (Mesa) until mid-April and have spoken with Robert's Tires and will be speaking with Danny's Big Rig Resort in the next couple of days. Does anyone have any experience with either shop or have any other dealer recommendations that deal in 22.5-inch tires?

Thanks for reading.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
37 REPLIES 37

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
There are many campground experts who claim to have necessary experience. I am not an expert but common sense tells me something is amiss with your alignment or may be your steering stabilizer. That is where I would look first, and next would be the rest of the steering components.
Even if they were faulty tires they would not have just worn on the edges like they did. They are not running true and the wear points to that.

I am not a Michelin basher or pro Michelin for that matter. Michelin along with all the other brands has it's issues from time to time.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found this comment particularly interesting - especially after viewing the photos:

rk911 wrote:
..... Several folks in the park who claim they have the necessary experience tell me it is not an alignment issue, not the fault of the steering stabilizer but rather a poor tire. .......

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q-U1 (F53 26K chassis) with Michelin 255/80R 22.5 XRV tires on both axles. The MH has 11,000+ mostly interstate miles on it. After pulling into our current park a few days ago the parking assistance noticed that the two front axle tires were severely worn on the outer edge with the left front tire being the worst...the steel belts are just about ready to show. This is my first experience with Michelin tires as well as with 22.5-inch tires. Both of our previous MHs had Goodyear tires with which we were very happy and gave us excellent service and miles.

I noticed no excessive handling issues leading up to the discovery. I did have a steering stabilizer (Blue Ox TruCenter) installed just before we left on our current trip (early March). Pressure is set per inflation tables. From what I can see the dualies on the rear axle seem ok.

Several folks in the park who claim they have the necessary experience tell me it is not an alignment issue, not the fault of the steering stabilizer but rather a poor tire. One urged me to get Toyo tires, another suggested BF Goodrich. One of the local tire shops that deal in 22.5 tires suggests going with Michelins. Since I had good service from Goodyear I am leaning towards the G670s but the shop says while they will sell them to me they will not warrant them. A quick search of the forums seems to suggest that the Michelins are a poor tire but there are those who love the Michelins and hate the other brands. Needless to say the options, along with what might have happened had the discovery not been made, are spinning in my head.

I'm looking to replace these tires with a quality tire. Price is not an issue as I don't believe in scrimping on tires but I do believe in value.

Questions:

- looking for thoughtful, reasoned opinions on the replacement tires.

- I'm planning on having the 4-rear tires examined and if OK I'll leave them be. Any reason not to?

- I'm going to have the front-end re-aligned post tire purchase. I'm also having the Blue Ox TruCenter examined to make sure it was installed correctly and is operating properly. Is there any reason to suspect a bad alignment or the TruCenter as the proximate cause of the tire issue?

- We're currently in Phoenix (Mesa) until mid-April and have spoken with Robert's Tires and will be speaking with Danny's Big Rig Resort in the next couple of days. Does anyone have any experience with either shop or have any other dealer recommendations that deal in 22.5-inch tires?

Thanks for reading.

Can't believe you didn't notice the abnormal wear before it got that bad. There is a thing called rivering that GY 670's are noted for, but doesn't sound like what you're describing at all.
Can't be the brand of tire IMO and the front end, along with the alignment needs checked, as you say you'll do before installing new tires.
If mine, I would put a set of Hercules on it, as I've done with mine and have with another coach, instead of paying for a big name, that in my estimation does nothing for you, except to lighten your pocket book.
Most sure this will bring out the wrath of the Michelin disciples, but have yet to receive any real engineering data from anyone, as to how these tires are built with superiority, compared to other brands.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a few degrees of Toe In, with a side order of out of ballance
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Both tires indicate a front axle alignment problem and the first tire has an added balance problem also.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Besides it costing you money, because of tire wear, it is also costing you money in the extra fuel to overcome the resistance of the tires scrubbing down the highway.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer

left tire

right tire
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Rk911, IMO you will know if you should have the alignment looked at. In my case, I noticed the moho would pull slightly left when I released pressure on the steering wheel. You'll get some right pull simply from the crown in the road. Anyway when we got to Mesa for the winter, I took it into Spectrac and had it aligned. It was way out. What a difference when I got it back! If you have a toe in condition pretty much even on both sides you may not have any pulling but the tires do know. Let us know what you ultimately find out...Dennis

whci
I will, Dennis. thanks. are you still is Mesa? which park?
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
"After pulling into our current park a few days ago the parking assistance noticed that the two front axle tires were severely worn on the outer edge with the left front tire being the worst...the steel belts are just about ready to show. "

And something else to take from this, check your tires all the time. While I guess it's possible all that wear happened on that one drive if something failed in your front end, but I would suspect it was wearing like that for the entire 11,000 miles. I'm a pilot myself so a tire check by nature is part of my routine checks. I'm always running my hand across the front tires looking for feathering and uneven wear. Should be part of your daily checks.

no, you're right. I've been somewhat lax in doing that. we've had very few tire problems over the years (started the RV thing back in 1986) that I just grew complacent. visual inspection/inflation check of tires is now on the departure checklist.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend any front alignment be done at a reputable truck shop that has the proper equipment to align front axles. Most tire shops would not have the proper equipment nor the knowledge to align the axle. I have truck shops to mount, balance my tires and align my front end. The F53 is a truck chassis.

I have the same Michelin tire size on my Newmar as you have, which I purchased through the FMCA and received several hundred dollar discount.. it is certainly worth the membership cost to save on tires. They offer Michelin and Continental tires.

colbyco
Explorer
Explorer
It is just an alignment issue, When the tires wear on the outside that is called positive camber, if it is on the inside of the tire it would be negative camber. Toe in or toe out can be checked by rubbing your hand across the tire and back if it was toe in in would be smooth going in and rough pulling out. And toe out would be the opposite.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should have mentioned in my earlier post, I did NOT have any issues with the coach pulling to one side or the other but the tires wore out exactly as described by the OP. The alignment solved the tire issue.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
funny you say Michelin tire problem, i think the right statement would be front end alignment problem
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
"After pulling into our current park a few days ago the parking assistance noticed that the two front axle tires were severely worn on the outer edge with the left front tire being the worst...the steel belts are just about ready to show. "

And something else to take from this, check your tires all the time. While I guess it's possible all that wear happened on that one drive if something failed in your front end, but I would suspect it was wearing like that for the entire 11,000 miles. I'm a pilot myself so a tire check by nature is part of my routine checks. I'm always running my hand across the front tires looking for feathering and uneven wear. Should be part of your daily checks.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4