cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas alarm going off

Chairboygeoff
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new Rv last weekend and while dring it home and testing it at a campground this weekend. The gas alarm has gone off twice.
It was the red led for gas not the green one for CO that is next to it.
After pressing the button to silence it, it did not alarm again.
How do i know if i have a gas leak or a faulty detector?
I could not smell any gas, i had windows open and there was no gas appliances being used.
Thanks for any help!
26 REPLIES 26

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Check 'coach' battery voltage......if low LP Detector will ALARM
Yup. This I know because it happened to us once. Maybe seller did not keep it plugged in and parasitic loads discharged the battery.

Dog farts? True story: Both woke up at home around 3 am a few years ago to smell of a really pungent odor like burning plastic. OMG, we have something burning somewhere. :E Checked everywhere sniffing heavily as we went and wasn't until we got back to the bedroom we realized it was the dog. Dogs sure can create some disgustingly strong methane gas!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have developed an intense dislike for alarms.
I can understand an alarm that trips when frying foods on the stove, but when it alarms when boiling water, that is a little much! Yep, it screamed at me when I was cooking macaroni.
I have never had a problem with the propane alarm. Given that it is probably a 2002 model, maybe I should take a propane torch out there and test it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
It ain't just dog farts. try a chili evening. And I don't mean cold.

LEN

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had one that we determined was set off by our son's stinky tennis shoes! Another one, we were told by the dealer, had a lifespan of 5 years, and it was designed to alarm at 5 years as a reminder to replace it. Not a cheap replacement either.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Chairboygeoff wrote:
I purchased a new Rv last weekend and while dring it home and testing it at a campground this weekend. The gas alarm has gone off twice.
It was the red led for gas not the green one for CO that is next to it.
After pressing the button to silence it, it did not alarm again.
How do i know if i have a gas leak or a faulty detector?
I could not smell any gas, i had windows open and there was no gas appliances being used.
Thanks for any help!

When my Daughter and son-in-law camp with us, my daughter will use our bathroom after her shower to do hair, make-up, etc. (they stay in there own tent) every time she uses hair spray it sets off my detector.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
If its new, get it fixed by the pros now.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
cbshoestring wrote:
Learned alot about those alarms the next few weeks after that. Dog dander, yes DOG DANDER can supposedly set them off. Has only gone off once since we stopped the dog from sleeping up against the sensor...wife sprayed herself with bug spray.

Lynnmor wrote:
I think that you will find it was not dander, but dog farts.

I'm going to agree with that one. Dog farts = guaranteed to set off the propane alarm (sensor detects methane as well as propane). Dog dander, nah. Sensor does gases, not particulates. Smoke alarm does particulates, but who places THAT on the floor?

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Is your battery low that will trip it sometimes

Chairboygeoff
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent. Thank you. Will replace and see how that goes!

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got so mad at my propane alarm that I took out some wire cutters and disabled it. The darn thing would go off when I didn't even have the propane tanks turned on. On day I had to keep resetting it for over 20 minutes before it would turn off. I know that sometimes my wife's hair spray would set it off. Other times, the dogs would set it off. The last time it went off I could not get it to stop. The wife and dogs were outside, the propane was turned off and the windows were open. After 30 minutes of constantly resetting it, I disabled it. I have since purchased one of the portable units that plugs in a 110 AC socket. I plugged it in close to the stove which would be the most likely place for a propane leak. I will eventually get around to replacing the original one. It did have a date on the back and it was almost 5 years old when I disabled it so it was likely in need of replacement.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Chairboygeoff wrote:
Thanks for the responses.
I guess I didn't word my post correctly. The RV is new to me but not brand new. It is a 2013 with 7,000 miles. I purchased privately so can not take it back anywhere.
I do not smell any propane.
Thanks

2013....Time to replace. It should have a replace by date on the detector, normally about 5 yrs from date of manuf. They are easy to replace, just more costly than you'd think.

Jerry

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
cbshoestring wrote:

Learned alot about those alarms the next few weeks after that. Dog dander, yes DOG DANDER can supposedly set them off. Has only gone off once since we stopped the dog from sleeping up against the sensor...wife sprayed herself with bug spray.

I think that you will find it was not dander, but dog farts.

X2 !!!!! Ours used to set it off.
Full timing it since July 2012

Chairboygeoff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.
I guess I didn't word my post correctly. The RV is new to me but not brand new. It is a 2013 with 7,000 miles. I purchased privately so can not take it back anywhere.
I do not smell any propane.
Thanks

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
It's not specifically an LP detector. Lots of things will set them off. I had ours go off once when I was filling up with gasoline and the pump ran over a tiny bit. Hairspray, methane, anything flammable will set it off.
2013 ACE 29.2