cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making 2000 CR-V a toad in Los Angeles??

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to making our CR-V into a toad. Been checking around and got quotes costing more than the vehicle is worth. Over $4,000 here in Los Angeles. Was thinking of a Blue Ox base plate and Ready Brake Elite for tow bar and braking system. Can use Magnetic tail lights from Harbor Freight for now. Not a lot of choices where to have it installed. Echart and CW only come to mind. any ideas? Will tow with a 28' class C with 7,500 hitch.
30 REPLIES 30

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
DAS26miles wrote:
Thanks for all the feed back??
May just look into getting a new Jeep Wrangler 4door. See many of those behind motor homes too!

Deceiving looks, its quite heavy, give or take of 5,000 lbs. Just because you have a 7,500 lb hitch doesn't mean you can tow 7,500 lbs. You need to weigh the MH and compare actual MH weight to the GCWR (combined weight of both) and then you will have a better idea of what can be towed.

Charles

We're fine. However, when I had a hitch basket made to carry my wife's tricycle, the hitch shop recommended I have them beef up the hitch and receiver to a welded on one rather than the bolt-on if I tow a car.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
May just look into getting a new Jeep Wrangler 4door. See many of those behind motor homes too!

Deceiving looks, its quite heavy, give or take of 5,000 lbs. Just because you have a 7,500 lb hitch doesn't mean you can tow 7,500 lbs. You need to weigh the MH and compare actual MH weight to the GCWR (combined weight of both) and then you will have a better idea of what can be towed.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Elements, One CRV combined over 200K miles plus guessing 50K towing.

Problems = zero - airbag recall on 2011 Element.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
dicknellen wrote:
That might be a tough sale if she is like my DW! Maybe you should start a survey question for owners of CR-v's to post their issues or non-issues. Dick
I'll start: Zero
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
That might be a tough sale if she is like my DW! Maybe you should start a survey question for owners of CR-v's to post their issues or non-issues. Dick

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
dicknellen wrote:
DAS26miles wrote:
The DW read a post about someone who followed the directions and ended up burning up their transmission. They had to trailer it home on a long trip. They had the AWD and mine is FWD. So the DW wants me to look elsewhere for a toad cause I can have hers. It is 17 yrs old.

Well they didn't follow instructions or it would not have happened. They probably went from R to N instead of D to N. Dick

Have to convince the DW it's OK to make the CR-V a toad!

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Picking something with a towable manual transmission would reduce the odds of towing damage, but you have to want to shift gears...

If you want to post the make/model of a baseplate you're getting serious about, I'll read the install instructions over, and give you my thoughts on actual difficulty. Sometimes the instructions are more difficult than the actual work.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. I have towed three Hondas tens of thousands of miles and never had an issue. If you shift from R to N, damage will occur.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
The DW read a post about someone who followed the directions and ended up burning up their transmission. They had to trailer it home on a long trip. They had the AWD and mine is FWD. So the DW wants me to look elsewhere for a toad cause I can have hers. It is 17 yrs old.

Well they didn't follow instructions or it would not have happened. They probably went from R to N instead of D to N. Dick

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roadmaster tow bar off my 2004 crv. sold the motorhome. Make an offer. In the Los Angeles area also.
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
Thanks, going to up there Saturday or Sunday. Going to CW. May go to Rincon next week and walk along the road. Will probably see 30+ with toads.
see PM
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
F1bNorm wrote:
In 2010, Echardt's in Reseda did our '09 CRV for $2500, out the door. This was with the Ready Brute system, a custom welded baseplate and lights. It was a clean install. Because the baseplate was made there, they matched the height to my MH. The only regret was I should have had them wire in a battery charge line. $4000 sounds pretty steep!

Norm in Gardena

Did you get the ReadyBrute Elite with the surge brake and did you get the breakaway too?

Ready Brute Elite, no breakaway.
F1BNorm